5 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
K guys I have a standard 5 gallon tank with hood and I put a 15 watt 6500 k cfl bulb in it and I am seeing leaves turn brown in a small tank that puts me at 3 wpg my lights are on timer 8 hrs a day and a dose kent marine 1-2 a week what's happening

Is there a good quality light out there for a 5 gallon to put me in the high light category? I don't mind going c02 either

ryan-peddle said:
K guys I have a standard 5 gallon tank with hood and I put a 15 watt 6500 k cfl bulb in it and I am seeing leaves turn brown in a small tank that puts me at 3 wpg my lights are on timer 8 hrs a day and a dose kent marine 1-2 a week what's happening

Is there a good quality light out there for a 5 gallon to put me in the high light category? I don't mind going c02 either

Hm try putting it to 10 hrs I saw a small difference when I started doing this
But definitely go co2 I'm trying to get into it too theirs a good thread on here on a DIY co2

Why do you think it's a light issue? What are you trying to grow? What's your nitrate at? Stock? Fertilizers?

aqua_chem said:
Why do you think it's a light issue? What are you trying to grow? What's your nitrate at? Stock? Fertilizers?

No positive just eliminating variables ferts are in my first post only stock is a Betta, nitrate 5-10, plants are red ludwigia, dwarf hair grass, among other high light plants

What fixture ? Incandescent with bulb sideways ?
Or lamp aimed down ???

In my 5.5g using a stock hood and a 10watt 6,500K Mini CFL aimed sideways. When we took PAR readings half the tank was quite dark, due to bulb placement.

Coursair said:
What fixture ? Incandescent with bulb sideways ?
Or lamp aimed down ???

In my 5.5g using a stock hood and a 10watt 6,500K Mini CFL aimed sideways. When we took PAR readings half the tank was quite dark, due to bulb placement.

15 watt cfl sideways in a standard Walmart 5 gallon hood

ryan-peddle said:
15 watt cfl sideways in a standard Walmart 5 gallon hood

Just take into account about a 3rd of the tank will be very low light. But my light still grows stuff. I just swapped a Java Fern and a Crypt into the darker area after a plant died. My stem plant is Lindernia rotundifolia. Looks good in a small tank :)

Or take the top off and do 1 or 2 clip on or desk lamp aimed down :)

T5s are too strong. I got a used clip on light for my 3g that I'll set up later.

The light you have will grow plants !! I have to do a major trim on my tank today.

Check my album for my 5,5 tank.

I do have a clip on Expensive LED fixture over my Rimless 10g.

Back
Top Bottom