5 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks guys! These little fish are so awesome. I can't believe how well they're already starting to settle in. I'm noticing them break away from the school frequently to forage or check out other parts of the tank. They're not all huddled together under a plant or something like I thought they'd be. When the school is really loose, it means they don't feel too stressed, right?

On another note, the cut on my finger is like half an inch long, but thankfully it wasn't deep. A big bandaid took care of it, haha. This makes me not really want to buy another glass diffuser for fear of it breaking again; all I did was try to pull it off the suction cup. I saw this on Amazon; does anyone have any experience with it? Amazon.com: Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser - 3.1 Ounces: Pet Supplies

I don't think it means much how tight or loose they school, I've heard of some of the same kind of fish that school right next to each other perfectly. While others are more loose and relaxed. In the wild they for schools for protection but I don't know. There was a thread on here about if they school right doesn't that mean they are in fear or stressed because of what they do in the wild.

Oooh that looks interesting! I've never used that, I have the ones on eBay that go for really cheap, made of glass.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I'mma order the ceramic diffuser online. I also received many (at least two dozen) shrimp and babies today; they're soooo tiny! If they die on me I'll scream.

I shall!

RCS. Toooons of babies, haha. I'll get pics up in a day or two once midterms are over and they've settled in.

Argh, so a lot of babies (~6-7) didn't make it through the last half-day. I admittedly did not do the drip-acclimation method because the water was really dirty (they were in a zip-lock bag with flourite-like substrate and a crap ton of snails) and I wanted to get them in the cleaner water of my tank as soon as possible. I pretty much just chucked them in a bowl, added tank water over 10-15 minutes, then tossed them in the tank. ._. ;

Well. It's been quite a long time since I've updated this thread.

Hmm, where to start... good news or bad news? I suppose I might as well get the bad news over with first.

My betta died. So did a lot of my cherry shrimp population (there had to be at least 25 in there when I left). I'm 99% sure it's because of him being fed only 2 times during the whole 3 weeks I was away in California for my winter break - that and the lack of water changes and probably the slow buildup of ammonia from the dying hornwort that I'd put in to help keep the water clean when I was gone. I don't want to think about how slowly he died or how much he suffered at first while I got ready to fish him out with the net. I literally cried for an hour upon finding him lifeless at the bottom of his dirty, half-filled 2.5g, but got over the initial grief quickly. There was work to do, and I needed to get myself together on where to start.

Surprisingly, the 5-gallon fared much, much better than the 2.5 - I'm attributing it to the heavy planting, good filtration, and the bag of Purigen I'd put in there to help the tank hang in there until I got back. The water was almost crystal; I'm assuming it helped soaked up most of the remaining tannins in my driftwood, which pleases me. I needed the extra light for my plants.

The fish were really pale and were schooling tightly at the bottom when I first turned the light on and checked on them. The water hadn't been topped off in nearly a week, so the heater was exposed a little and the water was only 70ish% full. I decided that doing a major water change on the 5g was more of an emergency.

I spent well over 3 hours in total on both tanks - I had to completely tear down the 2.5 and start the cycle over. For the 5g, thankfully there wasn't much to be done other than the water, adding my plant ferts, and doing a big trim on my wisteria and ludwigia. (I'd added L. repens a week or so before I'd left, and was happy to see they were doing well despite the poor water conditions. Their leaves are an absolutely gorgeous red underneath!). Almost immediately after the water change, the fish and shrimp began to perk up a little, getting their colors back and (for the fish) schooling a little more loosely.

Today, a week later, the 'strawberry' rasboras are still kicking and doing wonderfully, and the tank is crystal clear most of the time (the not-so most part being when it sits too long without a good algae scrubbing on the front glass from having the sun shine on it for 4-5 hours early in the morning as the sun rises), and the plants are great. I'll go ahead and update my stock list just in case this is a TL;DR moment for those who just wanna see pictures. :p

General info:
5g Tetra Crescent
13w Fluval CFL (I think 6500k)
DIY CO2 - < 1bps
Aquaclear 20
TOM mini Theo heater
Temp is a stable 75 F

Plants:
Wisteria (lots of it)
Ludwigia repens (a good bunch)
2x Anubias nana
Java moss
Java fern
2x Marimo moss balls

Animals:
8x Strawberry Rasboras (Boraras naevus)
15x(ish) Red Cherry Shrimp
1x Malaysian Trumpet Snail

And now for pics, showcasing its progress since September. The last one is the most recent photo, taken today. I think I'll just let things settle in and grow out in the near future, slowly aquascaping it as I go along. I really wanna get rid of the anubias... it seems kind of out of place in there. I can't wait for the ludwigia I just trimmed to grow out and form a thick cover to hide the filter and CO2 tubing. As for the animals, I'm noticing my shrimps are dulling their colors a bit; I guess my bright red female had died over winter break. I'm going to purchase a redder batch and see what happens, maybe I could start breeding shrimp to sell!

It's amazing to see how much my tank has grown over the last several months, and despite the frustrations and losses I've experienced with it, it really is a sort of therapy to sit back and admire the work I've put into giving my animals a good home.

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4648.jpg
    IMG_4648.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6011.jpg
    IMG_6011.jpg