5 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess I have no choice... Fissidens cloud! Random anubias! Guppy grass! Frogbit! :brows:

Guppy grass is a good one. Maybe your algae problems are coming from too much light. I know on Brian's Mini counterpart he had the light raised a few inches above the tank.

Hahaha! Suck up that ammonia bro! :lol:

The original ammonia spike is probably causing the problems so this should work out well. I know some types of algae are attributed to random ammonia spikes. Good luck with it max, I HOPE it works out this time! You should put those lily pipes on the 20g, they look a lil big on this one... Haha

Hahaha! Suck up that ammonia bro! :lol:

The original ammonia spike is probably causing the problems so this should work out well. I know some types of algae are attributed to random ammonia spikes. Good luck with it max, I HOPE it works out this time! You should put those lily pipes on the 20g, they look a lil big on this one... Haha

The only problem is that if I want to get smaller pipes, I have to either pay a bunch for the Cal-Aqua ones or take another gamble with ebay (I have already had like 3 bad experiences with buying glass aquarium prouducts from China on ebay). Also, I don't think these pipes will fit the clear tubing I got for my 20. But I could always try an adapter. I do think the Eheim inflow and outflow pipes would look ok on this tank. I might go ahead and try them.

The only problem is that if I want to get smaller pipes, I have to either pay a bunch for the Cal-Aqua ones or take another gamble with ebay (I have already had like 3 bad experiences with buying glass aquarium prouducts from China on ebay). Also, I don't think these pipes will fit the clear tubing I got for my 20. But I could always try an adapter. I do think the Eheim inflow and outflow pipes would look ok on this tank. I might go ahead and try them.

Believe me, I had my fair share of problems with pipes from china... That's why I finally decided to bite the bullet and go for the cal aqua set. Maybe some stainless jet pipes might be an option. Not as cool as the glass, but they still have a neat look and you don't ever have to worry about breaking them... :lol:

Ok, I switched to the Eheim pipes. I kind of like them- even though they're green, they look like lily pipes (almost).

img_2701153_0_222a3551c37a15063d7b7e7c268bc47f.jpg

I really like the outflow pipe. It's pretty much a jet pipe.
img_2701153_1_6014d2bfca04d8068a1a0975cf363bb6.jpg

I've got quite the collection of adapters on the filter tubing right now. I might have even more if I ever put the inline heater back on.
img_2701153_2_7a65a04ffe617a5f621685dae3b3aadf.jpg

Yeah, I think the look pretty cool. I still don't understand why ehiem makes them bright green... I mean, I know it's like their trademark color, but they should at least make the in-tank hardware a little less distracting!

Yeah, I think the look pretty cool. I still don't understand why ehiem makes them bright green... I mean, I know it's like their trademark color, but they should at least make the in-tank hardware a little less distracting!

I agree. It would be better if they were clear. Fluval is guilty of it too, but not so much. But black backgrounds are very common (Fluval 205 series has black intake tube, strainer and outflow nozzle), so they blend in more easily. I don't think I have seen many green backgrounds other than the ones that have plants on them.

I'm tempted to move some fish in there for a steady bioload. I might move my female betta or some CRS.

There's a tiny bit of green algae on the glass, but for the most part the tank is algae free so far. The HC seems to me turning yellow for some reason and hasn't really grown at all. I'm not sure why.

4th Day Update

I'm not sure what's wrong, the but HC isn't doing very well. Here's an FTS:

img_2704724_0_e84a13a15d411f1f166f694c443f7b55.jpg

Closer pic of the HC:

img_2704724_1_21e86529a6618208c78d59a853b61980.jpg

This green stuff (on the edge between the glass and substrate, and also on the stones) is the only algae that I've seen so far. I think my crazy last minute planting is working.

img_2704724_2_7611f5a1be5e89b80f27dd2a055ecea6.jpg

Give it time, bro. Good things aren't gonna happen over night. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks for it to root and start spreading. I've found it's best to start out with as much as possible, too. So if you can manage to spring for a pot or two of HC and get it really planted well, like an inch or less apart checkerboard, you'll see some better results.

Where's the drop checker? HC loves CO2... need to make sure that's on point because you have the lighting and the AS. Is the AS new? I noticed, too, when my HC was yellowing, an increase in macros would help.

Give it time, bro. Good things aren't gonna happen over night. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks for it to root and start spreading. I've found it's best to start out with as much as possible, too. So if you can manage to spring for a pot or two of HC and get it really planted well, like an inch or less apart checkerboard, you'll see some better results.

I planted as much HC as I could in that space. It really isn't that much room to work with. Also, I don't have a problem with lack of HC. I have a huge tub of it that I can use if needed. But I think. My tank is too small. Haha.

Last edited:
Where's the drop checker? HC loves CO2... need to make sure that's on point because you have the lighting and the AS. Is the AS new? I noticed, too, when my HC was yellowing, an increase in macros would help.

I need to order another one. I am pretty sure the co2 levels are OK because with this inline diffuser, the drop checker was green (when I had it in the tank) on the same setting the regulator is at now. I am planning in ordering either an orb one like you got or one that hangs over the edge and holds the indicator outside of the tank. I just dosed some more macros since you said that.

Here's my HC stash. You can see where I took some out to plant for my latest flood (in the corner). The green circle is the lid to a 1 gallon jug for size reference.

ForumRunner_20131030_234634.jpg

Yeah, from what I've learned you really just need to make sure your CO2 is balanced out. How are you dosing the water column? In theory your AS should be giving the roots non-limiting nutrients. Just wondering if you are dosing EI to the water column as well.

It looks like there's plenty of space to plant more to me! :p

Max, just curious, what are you using for substrate in your immersed set up? Your HC is probably yellow from the switched to being submerged, btw.

Yeesh man you have enough to start with a full carpet! Its key to crank the co2 when you start with emersed grown hc.

Yeah, from what I've learned you really just need to make sure your CO2 is balanced out. How are you dosing the water column? In theory your AS should be giving the roots non-limiting nutrients. Just wondering if you are dosing EI to the water column as well.

Yup I am dosing NPK+T weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom