50 gal Planted Aquarium(Warning a lot of Pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so i have been planning this aquarium for a loooonnnnggg time and now its finally getting set up!

50gal-003.jpg

Here are the Basic Specs of the tank:
2x65watt CF Lighting
200watt stealth heater
XP2 Canister Filter
60lbs Eco- Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate
Pressurized CO2 injection *not set up yet*

Stocking Plans:
10 - Black Skirt Tetras
6 or 8 - Cories (can't decied between dwarf, julii or panda)
7 - Zebra Danios
4 - Rainbows
3 - Yo Yo Loaches
3 - German Blue Rams (1 male, 2 females)
2 - African Butterfly Fish (1 male, 1 female)
1 - Bristle Nose

Sunday, April 16-
Me and my dad went to Lowes to pick up the slate tiles for terracing.
We bought:
10 pieces of 12"x12" slate tiles ($2.24 per tile)
10 pieces of 6"x6" slate tiles ($0.96 per tile)
Plus we got 2 free tiles that were chipped.

When we got home my dad set the tiles up on bricks and broke them with a sledge hammer. After that cleaned off all the tiles, and brought them inside.

50gal-001.jpg

This is what we ended up with, plus a few more odd peices and ones i couldn't fit onto the towel.

I started building up a wall making sure to try and leave at least 2" of space behind the slate and 4" in front of the slate. I just pretty much stacked the slate ontop of eachother, I also tried to match up the edges so it didnt look like tiles. On the left side of the tank i built a cave into the wall. I did it by just building up the sides and then covering it up when i thought it was big enough. It took about 15 mins probably. It is 5 or 6 inches high.

50gal-004.jpg

50gal-005.jpg

You can see the cave in this picture its towards the middle on the right side of the picture.

50gal-006.jpg

Put in the substrate and started filling it up

50gal-068.jpg

Close up of the tiles

50gal-070.jpg

angled veiw of the tank

50gal-071.jpg

Best picture I could get of almost the entire tank... you can see the cave on the right.

I will get a better picture of the tank once the bubbles clear off the sides of it.
Over all I think it was worth the expense of the tile. I love the look. Plus the left overs I am going to use to make caves in my 55gal! I will update again next week when I get the CO2, Plants, and have started to cycle it.

Your loaches will love all the hiding places. Interesting idea with the slate. I really like that tank size!

What are the plans for arranging plants around the slate shelf?

Back
Top Bottom