50 Gal Planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And two more:

img_1365193_0_2da3802515658108114a01bec12e4dd4.jpg

img_1365193_1_4aa8e49e21cf28f70f28d5afbab1e8e6.jpg

Last edited:
The angels looks really nice :) You take really good pics Alisha :)

You asked about my angelfish... I traded them for a few rainbowfish.

The angels looks really nice :) You take really good pics Alisha :)

Thank you! The angels are about 12 weeks old and were kept in a 55 gal holding tank with the rest of their siblings. They didn't have a whole lot of room to swim, so their fins have been rubbed quite short. :ermm: I've seen significant growth in them just in the short time since I added them to my tank which is pretty satisfying. :)

New pic from this week. Took out some of my java moss rocks. The plan is to completely remove all of them as ground cover takes over.

img_1378339_0_8a1e78e4b76226bbab5ca05a1adf3d2a.jpg

Thanks. Could use some opinions on what to do with the right foreground are though. The background is filling out wonderfully and I love how well the Ludwiga is growing but the front needs work. On the left I have chain sword taken from my 20 gal and it has pretty much doubled the amount of plantlets since I started this tank. I know that it's just a waiting game until it fills in that side but the right is pretty much empty and stands out like a sore thumb. I gave my java moss rocks to my boys for their tanks, and got my hands on a little bit of glosso, but it doesn't stay planted (floats up to the surface until I scoop it out). Any ideas on a good ground cover for that corner? Or should I just plant more chain sword over there and be done with it?

img_1382998_0_bebd3528c823b6a8481cf257702fd0bc.jpg

Close up:

img_1382998_1_862b79003b1a2c1d7cfde30de496eb2a.jpg

do you have dwarf baby tears dear? I know it grows good in a high light, but I was just wondering if it will work for your setup.

I can get some at my LFS. I think I'd probably have the same issue though..My substrate just isn't fine enough to keep plants that small rooted.:ermm:

This tank is amazing Alisha :)

The star grass might look good as a foreground. It grows too fast though and IME hard to keep as a foreground. I don't have that much trimmings but it grows quick and you'll have a lot in no time. I can give you some for free when I get a chance :)

This tank is amazing Alisha :)

The star grass might look good as a foreground. It grows too fast though and IME hard to keep as a foreground. I don't have that much trimmings but it grows quick and you'll have a lot in no time. I can give you some for free when I get a chance :)

Hmm...gonna have to keep looking I guess. :ermm:

Finding a good foreground plant that you love can be so difficult!

You could use blyxa japonica as a foreground it you wanted... though it does get pretty tall. Im just thinking out loud, but blyxa up front with progressively larger plants going back would look really good.. you'd just have 6" of depth lost

You could use blyxa japonica as a foreground it you wanted... though it does get pretty tall. Im just thinking out loud, but blyxa up front with progressively larger plants going back would look really good.. you'd just have 6" of depth lost

I'm willing to try just about anything. That side of the tank looks sad at the moment! Did move some extra green wendtii that I had over there this week, but still plenty of room for something else.

Updated pic:

img_1393634_0_421875de5c1e47fa1a73959b1fa9d32f.jpg

Just wanted to update on my little angels..all five doing well and growing.

They've made some EXCELLENT progress with the regrowth of their dorsal and anal fins. Longer and more pointy the way they should be. :)

img_1393642_0_d2ab55b2568d57cb5ba85610c6eb92f8.jpg

img_1393642_1_80b011fbb32fa0f6b72825376c62f1df.jpg

Coleallensmom said:
Hmm...gonna have to keep looking I guess. :ermm:

Finding a good foreground plant that you love can be so difficult!

I can give you a few trimmings of star grass for free Alisha. If you want to try it out and see how it will look like in your tank. Free shipping as well :) Most likely on the 19th. Let me know :)

Back
Top Bottom