50 gallon questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I found a 50 gal for sale on Craigslist this week for $150. Glass tank, black wood stand (similar to the ones I already own), glass lid, 4x39w Nova Extreme (w/ 3 Lunar Lights moonlights).

Couple questions...

Typical dimensions for a 50 gal are?
What sort of lighting situtation would I be looking at if I bought this with the intention to make it a planted tank?

Based on the fact that it has a 4x39w T5HO, I'd guess this is a 3' tank, which they do make a 3'x 19x19 50g (or close to that anyways). You'd have plenty of light for most any plants except some of the highest light demanding. You'd most likely need co2 IMO

Thanks, that is exactly what type of info I was looking for.

Still looking for a tank to replace my 37 gal. The height of that tank is making it difficult to keep my plants growing the way I'd like. Ideally I'd probably get a 40 breeder, but I haven't found one in my price range.

Not sure if I am ready to bite the c02 bullet yet.

Finding a 40 breeder in the 'cheap' category is something I was unable to do... but I have no regrets with mine. It's my second smallest tank, but my favorite by leaps and bounds. I wouldn't envision any issues with that 50, since depth doesn't play a huge factor, especially with medium high to high light like you'd have with that lighting. Co2 isn't that bad, I like having a high tech tank, but they're not for everyone. I'd say with low light tanks, depth plays a much bigger part than in a higher light tank. JMO

EDIT: fort makes a good point... unless its a cheapo fixture. That would even make a great fixture for a 40 breeder if you went that route.

I don't even see listings for them; I've only found one 40 gal tank for sale since I started looking and it was gone as soon as it was listed.

I like my Nova extremes; I think they are good fixtures. I love the fact that this has decent lighting and would also coordinate with my 20 gal tank stand. I need to be able to fund any purchase I make with the sale of my 37 gal though, which limits my ability to spend $ on extras like a Co2 set up.

This tank is still on my mind! Emailed the guy back today to see if he still has it.

How long do you think I would I be able to get away w/o C02?

Well, I'm guessing it will let you run either 2x or 4x... If you kept it 2x until you got a co2 system, you'd be able to keep lower light stuff until you were ready to 'bite the bullet'.

I'm ready to take Co2 on, my wallet just isn't! Guy emailed me back right away and said he still has it. Think I might go take a look at it.

Thanks for being a sounding board..I appreciate that. Will update if I bring it home!

Based on the fact that it has a 4x39w T5HO, I'd guess this is a 3' tank, which they do make a 3'x 19x19 50g (or close to that anyways).

Asked him to confirm size. He says 36"x18x18. Tried looking up that light fixture and everything I could find lists it as coming with two 10K bulbs and two actnic bulbs. If that is the case, I'll need to replace those two but I was checking prices and it looks like I can get them for about $15-16 per bulb.

Going to look at it this evening. We'll see what happens!

She's mine..talked him down to $120. The 10K bulbs in fixture are only 2-3 months old he said but the other two bulbs are actinic, so they will have to go. Will post pics later!

How much are we talking for everything I would need to start running Co2? If nothing else I should be able to talk the hubby into letting me get a setup for our anniversary in September. That's only 4 months away. lol :D

The lunar lights are GREAT. Love 'em. Just the right amount of light to see a little bit of the inside of the tank but not bright enough to be annoying at night time.

Ummm... if you do it right, about $150 or so... the cost of the co2 fill will be a little factor there. Here's the breakdown:

Regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, tubing- $89
5lb cylinder- $55
drop checker- $3
4dKh solution- $5
glass diffusor (if you're not running a canister)- $10

Thats about it... so going off those rough numbers, you're looking at $162 before shipping and a fill. The cost of the fill will be between $10 and $30 depending on where you go. So, just say $200 as a rough estimate, and a fill will last several months.

Back
Top Bottom