50 gallon rescape after christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am moving some fish around after christmas and was wanting to rescape my 50 gallon tank. I have white play sand in there right now and just don't like it very much. I was wanting a darker substrate that low light plants can grow in and was wondering what is a cheaper dark substrate. I am putting dark fluorite in my ten but it would be pretty expensive to use it in a 50. Is dirt my best bet? Plant wise what would work in a low light tank? My bulbs are what came with my 50g kit but they can grow anacharis as I have some stems in there so I know they can grow stuff... would amazon swords and crypts work? I really want the plants to grow pretty big. Advice for a newish guy to planted tanks?

If you want a dark substrate and don't want to pay for commerical plant substrate why don't you just use black sand? You will need to use Root tabs for the plants. What type of bulbs are in the fixture right now? T5's, Flourescent, or ??? Also what K rating is on the bulbs, 6500K, 10000K, or ???

Easy low light plants would be Swords, Crypts, Water Sprite, Wisteria, Anubia, Vals, and a few other. Ones for attaching to DW would be Anubia, Java Ferns, mosses, and Bolbitus. You will also need to think about getting some liquid ferts to dose after weekly WC's.

My planted tanks have kitty litter in them lol cheap and easy and my plant growth is good with really long roots. Just an option :) I also use root tabs

The light bulbs are full fluorescent bulbs that came with the 50g from petsmart and they don't list a k rating. I just know that it can grow anacharis because that is what is in there at the moment. Any idea how much it would cost to put black sand in a 50g? Where could I buy that much?

Do you have a tractor supply company store around you? They sell a black sand that some people use. I think its black blasting sand but can't remember the name brand

Back
Top Bottom