50g Low-Tech Planted Build *Journal*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I probably should break up those crypts. Sorry for posting on Viper's link. :hide:

If you want them to form a carpet, then I would leave them like they are. If not then yeah I would break them up a bit and mix it up with other plants.

If you want them to form a carpet, then I would leave them like they are. If not then yeah I would break them up a bit and mix it up with other plants.

I think they would make a nice carpet but my only concern is how tall will they grow? I've had some in one of my 10g's for about 6 months now and they filled out beautifully but they're staying short, no more than 5 inches. That might still be too tall in a 15 long though. The rams love the cover. They maneuver around underneath hunting for food. Looks really cool when you can see them.

I think they would make a nice carpet but my only concern is how tall will they grow? I've had some in one of my 10g's for about 6 months now and they filled out beautifully but they're staying short, no more than 5 inches. That might still be too tall in a 15 long though. The rams love the cover. They maneuver around underneath hunting for food. Looks really cool when you can see them.

What kind of crypt is it?

I think I would use that as an actual plant not as a carpet. I've seen full grown pictures of crypt wendtii and they can get big!

That's what I was afraid of. The specs I read said up to 6 inches, but that still might be too tall.

That's what I was afraid of. The specs I read said up to 6 inches, but that still might be too tall.

The picture I saw was actually of someone's planted tank from here and it was pretty big. If you like crypts, see if you can find crypt parva. I bought a plant from petsmart and it was labeled as crypt wendtii green but it turned out to be crypt parva (many here agreed it was parva after I posted a picture of it). I've had my crypt parva for going on two months I would say, and it hasn't gotten any taller than 3, maybe 4 inches.

The picture I saw was actually of someone's planted tank from here and it was pretty big. If you like crypts, see if you can find crypt parva. I bought a plant from petsmart and it was labeled as crypt wendtii green but it turned out to be crypt parva (many here agreed it was parva after I posted a picture of it). I've had my crypt parva for going on two months I would say, and it hasn't gotten any taller than 3, maybe 4 inches.

Will do. That would be nice if it were.

Received Flourish last night in the mail and added it to the tank. Also trimmed the dead leaves from the plants. Here's to hoping they pick up and start flourishing. No pun intended!

Received Flourish last night in the mail and added it to the tank. Also trimmed the dead leaves from the plants. Here's to hoping they pick up and start flourishing. No pun intended!

lol good one. I checked out your link for the Ludwigia and I love them! They would add some much needed color to my tanks. Hope you see some growth soon!

Crypt Wendtii have gotten over 12" tall in my tanks before. Another thing is they grow more vertical in lower light and grow lower and horizontal in higher light.

Crypt Wendtii have gotten over 12" tall in my tanks before. Another thing is they grow more vertical in lower light and grow lower and horizontal in higher light.

So do you think maybe move the crypt in between the "trees"? I think that would look pretty cool when it fills in. Almost as if the top branches are coming directly from the plant.

Also, do you think having an Amazon Sword backdrop for my red centerpiece plant would look good dead center of the tank?

You could try the crypts but I think they will eventually mask the entire look of the branches. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try if you think it might work the way you want your tank to look.

An Amazon Sword is going to get huge and have an impressive spread on it. Plant stems plants around or in front of one can be tricky and not easy to do since you will have to keep the Sword trimmed. I have this issue in my 220g as I have 2 large Swords and tons of stem plants. I keep my Swords trimmed down alot to keep them in the area I want them in. Just food for thought.

You could try the crypts but I think they will eventually mask the entire look of the branches. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try if you think it might work the way you want your tank to look.

An Amazon Sword is going to get huge and have an impressive spread on it. Plant stems plants around or in front of one can be tricky and not easy to do since you will have to keep the Sword trimmed. I have this issue in my 220g as I have 2 large Swords and tons of stem plants. I keep my Swords trimmed down alot to keep them in the area I want them in. Just food for thought.

Good advice thanks. I'm anticipating having to trim the sword a lot so it doesn't overtake other plants. Having it behind the trees will very likely prove incredibly difficult in keeping it under control.

The red plant I have is Barclaya Longifolia. It's currently in bulb form though. Is that considered a stem plant?

EDIT: Also, any suggestions as to a plant for behind the trees once I move the sword? Low-maintenance would probably be the best option.

Barclaya is not a stem plant, it's a bulb plant. Something else to consider is you are using mostly all rosette plants that have the same overall shape. You need to mix it up some. Try adding some true stem plants there are several nice ones. You could do a small grouping behind the trees since the stem plants will grow up, IMO aren't hard to keep clipped at the height you want them, and will give a nice back drop for the branches without interfering with them. Remember when aquascaping you want to use plants that have different shapes, different leaf shapes and textures, and different colors or shades of green so they compliment each other yet are distinctly different to add interest.

Plants are starting to show some new growth. Seems like it picked up more after I started dosing Flourish.

I've also found some hitchhikers that came in on one or more of the plants I bought online.

ForumRunner_20130301_233704.jpg

ForumRunner_20130301_233718.jpg

ForumRunner_20130301_233730.jpg

They look like Ramshorns to me. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Definitely ramshorns!

Any experience with them? I've done some reading and some have said major pest and others have said major asset. I guess for now I'll keep them around since I have a good amount of dead/decaying leaves as some of the plants I received were in a little bit of rough shape when I got them.

Amazon sword

On the amazon sword I have one that over took half of my 55 gallon in 2 months from just a little plant about four inches across. The tank is looking good and ill be following!:)

On the amazon sword I have one that over took half of my 55 gallon in 2 months from just a little plant about four inches across. The tank is looking good and ill be following!:)

Thanks! It'll be a little bit slower progress than some other journals but I'll get there eventually!

Back
Top Bottom