50g Low-Tech Planted Build *Journal*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only snails I keep in my tanks are Nerites and Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I wanted Nerites originally but may hold off on them for a little while at least now that I have Ramshorns. I'll see what the Ramshorns do in my tank and go from there.

How are the MTS? Are they as invasive as I often hear about?

The only advantage of nerites is that they are capible of scraping off green spot algae which other algae eaters can't do.

As for MTS's they only go crazy in a tank when alot of food is available. And remember they eat more than left over fish food. They forage in detris and eat on dead and decaying plant material. So in my dirted 220g I have alot of them but since they come out and night and are in the substrate during the day they don't bother me. Now in my other tanks that aren't dirted I have very few and not even sure they even breed since there just isn't near the amount of available food. I think these are one of the snails people either love or hate. But I know Ramshorns can be just as big a breeding machines as MTS's so you'll find out quickly how good or bad they might be.

The only advantage of nerites is that they are capible of scraping off green spot algae which other algae eaters can't do.

As for MTS's they only go crazy in a tank when alot of food is available. And remember they eat more than left over fish food. They forage in detris and eat on dead and decaying plant material. So in my dirted 220g I have alot of them but since they come out and night and are in the substrate during the day they don't bother me. Now in my other tanks that aren't dirted I have very few and not even sure they even breed since there just isn't near the amount of available food. I think these are one of the snails people either love or hate. But I know Ramshorns can be just as big a breeding machines as MTS's so you'll find out quickly how good or bad they might be.

Yeah right now I dont have any green spot algae. So I'll hold off on the Nerites for now.

I actually haven't even really fed my fish yet. The Otos have been going to town on the diatoms. I've put I think 2 wafers in there for them and they haven't even really touched them. So I removed them after 24 hours.

I just picked up 5 Cherry Barbs today so I'll definitely be mindful when feeding them.

I seem to have found a good fish-buying system or method.

My tap water is around 7.5-7.6 so I was worried about some of the more delicate tropical fish that I intend on keeping.

As it turns out, the Petsmart that is less than 5 minutes from my house has the largest selection of fish that I've seen of any Petsmart I've ever been to. The staff sound intelligent and responsible. I rarely see any dead fish in any of the tanks. So far I've bought my Oto's and Cherry barbs from there. And prior to each purchase, I've been asked what size my tank is and was given some information on each of the fish.

The thing that puts my mind at ease the most though is that their tanks maintain a pH around 7.5 which means less shock and stress when bringing fish home to my tank. Also, they receive their fish shipments on Mondays. So if I buy any new fish on weekends, it means that the fish I'm buying have most likely been in the tank for at least a week. In theory, the weaker and sicker fish would die within the first couple days from the stress of being shipped. So again, in theory, the stronger and healthier fish are still there by the weekend.

Here's a pic of a friends tank with java fern at the base of the dw. I think it's gorgeous! I just can't get mine to grow like that.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paulm7373's Album: My tropical community & discus fish aquarium - Picture

That looks nice and is the effect that I'm going for with the Crypt. I moved the Crypt this weekend and felt bad because it was doing the best of any of the plants in my tank. I had opened up a lot and when I pulled it up had a number of roots that were growing straight down reaching for the Eco-Complete. I'm hoping I don't experience a melt.

For whatever reason, I didn't take a picture of it in it's new spot, but I already think it looks pretty good. I'll get a picture up as soon as I can.

A few new pictures:

Crypt between trees:
kKMnPND.jpg

Front view of polka-dot snail:
AV4Q3hA.jpg

Side view of polka-dot snail:
7TOmBQ5.jpg

I didn't get a picture or video of it, but one of the other snails has a really see-through shell and I could see it's little heart beating as it went along the bottom. Was really cool.

A few new pictures:

Crypt between trees:
kKMnPND.jpg

Front view of polka-dot snail:
AV4Q3hA.jpg

Side view of polka-dot snail:
7TOmBQ5.jpg

I didn't get a picture or video of it, but one of the other snails has a really see-through shell and I could see it's little heart beating as it went along the bottom. Was really cool.

That's going to look even better when it grows out.

So I've moved the Crypt over to between the trees. I'm now left with a sort of blank spot where the Crypt used to sit.

I was thinking of picking up Bacopa Australis or Süßwassertang to put in that space since I have mostly rosette type of plants. I think either of those would be a nice change of pace compared to my other plants and wouldn't be too demanding on light should the Jungle Vals eventually start shading that area. I'm leaning towards Süßwassertang since it'll stay lower than the Bacopa and would hopefully give a nice bushy look.

Thoughts?

To clarify the area that I'm referring to, it's where the Crypt is in this picture (since relocated):
eQkO5Ah.jpg

Update 3/18:

Did a little bit of rescaping. Removed the Amazon Sword as that never seemed to rebound from the rough shape that it arrived in. Replaced that in the middle-back of my tank with some Water Wisteria that I picked up at Petsmart. Also picked up some Windelov Java Fern for the middle of my DW on the left side of the tank.

I took a week off from nutrients as suggested by different sources on the internet and my Jungle Vals didn't seem to take too kindly to it. No new leaf development during that time. I started dosing again over the weekend so hopefully they pick back up.

I also have a new leaf growing on my Anubias Nana! I was pretty disappointed when I first got it because I accidentally broke off one of the leaves when attaching it to the DW. And I know how slow they are to grow new leaves. So I'm pretty excited about this one.

I also wrapped the Fissidens Moss (which I'm seeing new green growth with) in a loofah that I got at the dollar store. I'm hoping this will create a more cylindrical looking growth pattern around the branches.

I also noticed my snails "going at it" :brows: after a water change on Saturday. Noticed a strange looking patch on one of the Jungle Vals on Sunday. Then noticed 5 more lol. Definitely look like snail eggs to me! Pic below.

Eggs:
OrYRgl2.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me what those off-shoot things are on the left of the photo above? They don't look like normal new Jungle val leaves.

Snail foot and mouth:
mBQ5n0H.jpg

New Anubias leaf growing:
1C2ILdA.jpg

Partial Tank Shot:
v1Nz9WX.jpg

Update 3/18:

Did a little bit of rescaping. Removed the Amazon Sword as that never seemed to rebound from the rough shape that it arrived in. Replaced that in the middle-back of my tank with some Water Wisteria that I picked up at Petsmart. Also picked up some Windelov Java Fern for the middle of my DW on the left side of the tank.

I took a week off from nutrients as suggested by different sources on the internet and my Jungle Vals didn't seem to take too kindly to it. No new leaf development during that time. I started dosing again over the weekend so hopefully they pick back up.

I also have a new leaf growing on my Anubias Nana! I was pretty disappointed when I first got it because I accidentally broke off one of the leaves when attaching it to the DW. And I know how slow they are to grow new leaves. So I'm pretty excited about this one.

I also wrapped the Fissidens Moss (which I'm seeing new green growth with) in a loofah that I got at the dollar store. I'm hoping this will create a more cylindrical looking growth pattern around the branches.

I also noticed my snails "going at it" :brows: after a water change on Saturday. Noticed a strange looking patch on one of the Jungle Vals on Sunday. Then noticed 5 more lol. Definitely look like snail eggs to me! Pic below.

Eggs:
OrYRgl2.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me what those off-shoot things are on the left of the photo above? They don't look like normal new Jungle val leaves.

Snail foot and mouth:
mBQ5n0H.jpg

New Anubias leaf growing:
1C2ILdA.jpg

Partial Tank Shot:
v1Nz9WX.jpg

My vals aren't doing much for me at all. I wonder if it's the excel. Congrats on the new anubias leaf lol! I celebrate every new one too.
How's progress? Any baby snails?

Seems some Val like Jungle Val are sensitive to Excel/liquid carbon and others like Corkscrew Vals seem to do fine with it even at high doses (like mine).

My vals aren't doing much for me at all. I wonder if it's the excel. Congrats on the new anubias leaf lol! I celebrate every new one too.
How's progress? Any baby snails?

No snails yet! I read that they can take between 2 to 5 weeks to hatch? I have about 7-8 bunches of eggs on my Vals.

Speaking of my Vals, I haven't seen any new leaves in about 2 weeks. Ever since I skipped a week of Flourish dosing, they haven't been the same. They're still green, but not growing much. Hopefully they rebound soon.

My Corkscrew Vals seem to take forever to really settle in and get growing good. They never melted but for 3 or so months they didn't grow much or send out many runners. But once they adjusted they took off and I use alot of liquid carbon in that tank.

Yeah, when I planted my vals they just say there for a week or two them they all melted, and then in another week tho they shot back up and now I have a jungle back there every week! I just pulled out 46 plants of I counted. Crazy when they take off!!

I actually removed the rest of my Corkscrew Val last week from the 220g. Got tired of having to weed the runners out of my other plantings. Once they start growing, they grow and spread like wildfire.

I would have to agree with the post above :lol: I have to keep on them like a fox or they will spread EVERYWHERE! But they are just now growing instead of running, I took out all but like 20 plants in there whereas I had about 100 I bet!

Whoa! As a first time serious planter, I want my plants to go crazy like this! It'll show me that I'm doing something right haha.

Back
Top Bottom