52g FBH do-over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Did a change out on my 52g after building my fathers 210g.

before
2uivi44.jpg

after
2zp5dar.jpg

changed out 60% of the flourite and replaced it with 80# of eco complete and mixed the two for a natural creek bed substrate change. added an Ap 175 wet/dry filter to eliminate 4 HOB filters. Got the shale from our very own lowryder which has made a HUGE difference over red and black slates, the grey shale really makes the tank pop.

I dont have many pics yet of it but will have some as early as friday.
I had sold my father my brood of angels and public SCHOOL of neons and cardinals. I added 3 rams to the mix last week and have somehow stopped due to funding.

Honest opinion, I am not really enthused about a north american deer body part in the amazon tank. I have a huge chunk of DW soaking to go in but the more it soaks the more and more it proves to be a really soft piece of wood.
I like having the antler in the tank due to natualness of the object but we all know yummy whitetail does not frolick near the amazon. Id like to find a antlered animal that I can add to the tank for real authentication but I dont know if there are animals like that in the amazon basin.

Here it is with the lunar lights on
4h6rn9.jpg

I was wondering what the heck that thing was! Lol

Sorry, I'm no expert on the wildlife of the amazon.

Most people dont see bones in aquariums but it does add alot to the natural feel and looks of things. Just adding and removing that single antler gives the tank two different atmospheres. my SAE's love it, my angels spawned on it before I removed it, had it out for months and months then decided I had to use it to add some hardscaping to the tank.

You're right about that. It does make a big difference in the atmosphere.

oh my, would you look at that! beautiful job white! wish i have a good eye on aquascaping like you do....simply beautiful! I am in awe!

may i ask what plants do you have in there? I can see vals, banana plant, ferns (?), ludwigia (?)...am i right?

No banana plants at all.

There are just vals and swords in there to be honest.
I took half the plants out of this tank and put em in the 210, I posted a new pic of that too, but vals, swords, c.spiralis,one I dont remember off the top of my head(been told by the vendor I got it from that this plant is a pain to grow if it grows at all, bright green up top bright purple underneeth.)

I do appreciate it as this was a 30 minute aquascape but this tank is showing its last scape by me. The 52 will be no more its being replaced with a 50B to accomidate the filter system and floorspace for the wife.

oh am sorry for the mistake....I thought wrong...well, nevertheless, it is still a beautiful tank especially that you only did it for 30 minutes. amazing! good job.

went and changed it a few days later, and this is the last update on the 52
, it is being decommissioned to the shed for a while if not ever. I got this in the bottom pic for a buck a gallon.

2r5s1ll.jpg

I really dig this layout the best from all the ones ive done over the past 4 years with it.
Here is the newest addition to the family, And ill be posting a build thread as this one is nearly pure DIY.
35d2e7b.jpg

75g.
Found out this morning we will be moving to a new house soon so im really contemplating putting it on hold till I move so its alot easier to move.

Back
Top Bottom