55 gal planted substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gal tank that I want to dirt (miracle grow potting soil?) have any of you ever mixed in or capped dirt with fluorite or eco complete? is it needed? I know the dirt is supposed to provide everything the plants need, so adding fluorite or eco complete might just be an extra expense, but it cant hurt? I was thinking about layering dirt and fluorite or eco complete (or mixing the two) then capping with pool filter sand. What are your thoughts on pool filter sand? Everything I read it seems to be the most popular, I read that it is a little more coarse but its uniform. I was worried when reading that it is a silica sand though and it makes diatoms or brown algae worse? Any input would be appreciated!

Tank Bottom Material

I have a 55 gal tank that I want to dirt (miracle grow potting soil?) have any of you ever mixed in or capped dirt with fluorite or eco complete? is it needed? I know the dirt is supposed to provide everything the plants need, so adding fluorite or eco complete might just be an extra expense, but it cant hurt? I was thinking about layering dirt and fluorite or eco complete (or mixing the two) then capping with pool filter sand. What are your thoughts on pool filter sand? Everything I read it seems to be the most popular, I read that it is a little more coarse but its uniform. I was worried when reading that it is a silica sand though and it makes diatoms or brown algae worse? Any input would be appreciated!

Hello fire...

The organic mixture will nourish the plants for a few months at best. I've used it, capped with standard aquarium gravel. It can be extremely messy. The work getting it in place wasn't worth it, to me. I got better results potting the plants in the Miracle Gro organic material and topping it with a little pea-sized gravel, and then putting the potts into the tank.

I've used gravel instead of sand. Gravel is easily vacuumed and can't compact in areas. Just me, though.

You could set up a small tank and experiment to see how different bottom materials work.

B

I have pfs going in a few tanks. Fine for me in regards to diatoms, other algae is a whole notha discussion.. I'd say capping the miracle grow would be fine. I'd go Eco over flourite and if so just allllll eco, that'd be my first choice.. the soil can be a mess. Capping it with gravel is a nightmare waiting to happen??????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I was thinking about actually shying away from dirted and just going with either Eco or flourite capped in PFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Eco and pfs it is;)

I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the sand on top. I guess the only way to do it is to probably double the sand cap. So if I did 1" of Eco then 2" of sand for a total of 3" to keep from the Eco coming to the top?

I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the sand on top. I guess the only way to do it is to probably double the sand cap. So if I did 1" of Eco then 2" of sand for a total of 3" to keep from the Eco coming to the top?

Good question. I know that when I move plants around the substrate can get disturbed. Since the PFS is smaller than the EC I would think it might work itself down (causing the EC to "rise"). I'm visualizing rice grains in a salt shaker.

I suppose that would be a problem now that it's been mentioned, my flourite seems to have made its way to the top in a short time. I do have 10 corys constantly routing through the substrate though. Ada aqua soil would stay below the pfs. Same with flourite fine black.

Do they make Eco that's like a fine sand?

Its a little bit more coarse than pool filter sand, but yeah, it can be considered sand.

+1 and the benefits of a high CEC substrate. I would have used it if it was available a few years back when I setup my tanks. But the regular grain EC was at a steal at $9/bag at the time at a local Petco I could not pass it up.

Well ill just see myself out. .. what mebbid said:)

Is Miracle Grow potting soil fish safe? I've never ventured that direction. I guess I mostly heard about being careful using standard fertilizers. I may try and experiment with potting soil come this next spring.

Is Miracle Grow potting soil fish safe? I've never ventured that direction. I guess I mostly heard about being careful using standard fertilizers. I may try and experiment with potting soil come this next spring.
The gardening soil is pretty standard to use as long as its organic.

ok I cannot for the life of me find fine eco. everywhere sells the coarse. I need links!

Hmm. I checked and cant find it either... they might be discontinuing it which would suck.

Back
Top Bottom