55 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's easier on the fish to do Fishless Cycling. There are stickies about both methods.

Sand in planted tanks 2-3"
Add easy plants. Lots of plants helps the cycle. May even speed it up.

Get an API master test kit. So you know exactly what your tank is doing.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got strips to test GH amd KH too. Helps if you have to adjust pH.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Trying to change pH is usually a recipe for disaster. You should use your tap water as it is, and get a population that lives well with it's parameters.

Trying to change pH is usually a recipe for disaster. You should use your tap water as it is, and get a population that lives well with it's parameters.
Agreed, as long as the ph is above 6.5 it should be left alone

There are many amazonian fish (and probably from other places) who would love a pH below 6.5

And at these low pH ammonia (NH3) becomes ammonium (NH4) which isn't dangerous

I have the API master kit so I'll be checking the parameters daily.

Do I put the sand down 2 - 3" then the substrate and let it cycle and then put the plants in or put the plants in while cycling?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have plants in while cycling. They use some of the nitrates to my understanding

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok good to know and is PPS pro and El types of substrate?

They are dosing regimes.
I am not familiar with PPS Pro, but I think the idea is to give every day the exact amount of nutrients that plants use. So you need to test to know how much is being used and adjust the quantities you dose.

With Estimative Index, you don't need to know now much nutrients the plants actually use, but you know they will have enough. You dose more than the plants need, but not enough to cause problems. By doing weekly 50% water changes, you know the amount of nutrients in the water can never be more than twice what you dose every week.
EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

And at these low pH ammonia (NH3) becomes ammonium (NH4) which isn't dangerous
Less toxic. If it wasnt toxic then it would be a good practice to fish in cycle a tank by skipping water changes and dosing prime.
Ok good to know and is PPS pro and El types of substrate?

I've used both the EI and pps pro methods. I started with EI and had great success but switched to pps pro to try something different and cut down on the amount of ferts i was using. I am using about 1/4 as much ferts on pps pro and am not seeing any difference between the two in terms of plant health. Plus it's not nearly as big of a deal if I have to miss a water change due to my college schedule.

Back
Top Bottom