55 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm completely new to this and I've done some research and looked at other peoples post's and I'm still a bit confused on everything I need and what goes first and how often... I have many questions unfortunately. I just want to make sure I do it right and make it safe for my fish

I have a 55 gal tank with a regular filter on the back(forgot the acronym for that) I'll be putting sand in(first time doing that) in with low light plants. 9 Best Freshwater Aquarium Plants for Beginners | Home Aquaria

^plants like this

Could anyone explain to me kind of a crash course on building a planted take. The steps in order and what I need(brands would be helpful also)

To everyone who replies I really appreciate it!

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not an expert but you should put a couple of fish in there to cycle it

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Assuming you haven't invested into a light system for plants then you are going to have low light.

The plants that can be grown fairly easy for that light level include anubias, bolbitis, crypts, java fern, and java moss. There are some more, but those are generally the easiest and will fare the best.

After that, there really isn't anything special that you need to do to care for them as they are all very easy to keep. The crypts need root tabs though and tend to melt when moved.

being a newbie myself and finding this site, my advices is read,read,read. Everything you asked about are covered. Read about cycling and lights first.

So how do I know what plants need root tabs? Also do I put my substrate in then my sand then plants then my fish?

Plants need carbon. CO2 is best, but with low light Flourish Excel will do a good job. It may not be totally necessasy, but it will help plants a lot, and it also acts as an algicide.

Plants need nutrients, macros are NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium), and micro (calcium, magnesium, iron, ...). Some nitrogen and phosphorous is introduced with food and fish waste, enough for a low light tank. Your tap water probably contains enough calcium and magnesium. But there is no potassium, so you need to dose some.

You can buy Flourish Potassium and follow the instructions. Or order potassium sulfate (from aquariumfertilizer.com), and mix 1.4tbsp with 500ml of water and get the same thing for 1/20 the price, and follow dosing instructions for Flourish Potassium.

With this you should have nice heahtly plants. Nutrients in the water are more important that root tabs.

Or you may go one step further and follow the Estimative Index and give the absolute best for your plants.
EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

For my 20g low tech I dose Flourish Excel + Potassium, for my 95g high tech it's CO2 + EI

Also, make sure your lights have a spectrum for plants (not to be confused with color temperature, which only means the way light looks)

With this you should have nice heahtly plants. Nutrients in the water are more important that root tabs.

Or you may go one step further and follow the Estimative Index and give the absolute best for your plants.
EI light: for those less techy folks - Aquarium Plants

For my 20g low tech I dose Flourish Excel + Potassium, for my 95g high tech it's CO2 + EI

Also, make sure your lights have a spectrum for plants (not to be confused with color temperature, which only means the way light looks)

Out of plants that are primarily root feeders, if you dont add root supplements you aren't going to get much growth at all out of them. Its less important in gravel because of all the detritus that it collects, but they are needed all the same because only a miniscule amount of nutrients are going to be collected by the leaves.

For a medium light tank ot higher I would go along with you 100% in suggesting either EI or pps pro dosing routines. However, in a low light tank the fish are going to supply more than enough fertilizers for your plants including potassium.
So how do I know what plants need root tabs? Also do I put my substrate in then my sand then plants then my fish?

In general, plants that need root tabs will grow a huge root structure. Swords and crypts are the most commonly bought plants that need root tabs, but there are tons of them.

I have never heard about food or poop being a significant source of potassium.

And I don't know about the tap water in your region, but here in Montreal there is almost no potassium, about 1.5mg/l or 2ppm.

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/EAU_FR/MEDIA/DOCUMENTS/RAPPORT_QUALITE_EAU_2012.PDF

2 - 12ppm is common for tap water potassium concentrations

Potassium is excreted by both the digestive tract and the kidneys. Any potassium that goes in the body eventually comes out.

With low light planted tanks, the utilization of nutrients is soo low because of the slow growth rate of plants, that the need for supplementation in the water column is nearly non existent. Can it help to add some? Sure, but it's really not necessary.

Ok thanks for the info everyone. If I have anymore questions I'll come back to this thread. Thanks again

Fishrus!! Thanks for the question. I am going through the same process. In so clueless. I feel like I'm stumbling through it. I've pestered foster53 to death with a Million questions. Lol I will keep reading this thread for sure!

Haha it's hard not too ask a million questions. I've read so many threads and websites and after reading them all in like.... What? Lol. I'm thinking there is going to be a little bit of "trial and error" going on. But if you have any questions krista please ask it on here because I'm sure I will have the same question and just haven't thought of it.

Fishrus!! Thanks for the question. I am going through the same process. In so clueless. I feel like I'm stumbling through it. I've pestered foster53 to death with a Million questions. Lol I will keep reading this thread for sure!

Thats how we learn! By pestering foster to death :)

We heartily encourage questions here, but we also ask that you try to do at least a little research on your own. Many people come here expecting to be spoon fed information on every aspect of aquarium care then get pissed because we send them links :D

Yeah I can totally understand that ha and see that happen a lot. I just need more clarification then anything(kind of) ha. It can be difficult to understand everything thought especially when you people start talking about nutrients and what needs what. It's a bit overwhelming at times...

I'm not an expert but you should put a couple of fish in there to cycle it

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

It's easier on the fish to do Fishless Cycling. There are stickies about both methods.

Sand in planted tanks 2-3"
Add easy plants. Lots of plants helps the cycle. May even speed it up.

Get an API master test kit. So you know exactly what your tank is doing.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom