55 watt cfl with spotlight question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a spotlight lamp and was wondering if I place it over my twenty gallon would only the middle get good like or would it work okay?

Do 55 watts cfl on a 20 gallon transfer to lower than 2.75 watts per gallon? I know watts per gallon doesn't really apply now a days but would low light plants thrive? I'd rather have thriving low light plants than barely existing medium and medium high plants

Spotlights tend to have very narrow projections. I would be afraid of having high light in the middle and low light everywhere else.

Hmm maybe if that's the case I could line the walls of the tank with low light plants and maybe a higher light plant in the middle

You're not considering the additional fert and co2 requirements of high light. Enough ferts for high plants in the middle might open up the chance of algae on other plants.

Your right. My best bet is to fashion a reflector and use the socket sideways to lay the bulb flat.

This is what I got going on

Attachments

• image-2860601070.jpg
    image-2860601070.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 66
I found a reflector and switched it. I think the light is still more to the middle but it's more even.

Attachments

• image-3750830694.jpg
    image-3750830694.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
I'd treat it like a regular CFL setup, it's a shop light type reflector but it's not exactly a spotlight type bulb. You'd probably be better off running 2 of those, I have 2 on my 29 and it's in the low to low-medium range.

jetajockey said:
I'd treat it like a regular CFL setup, it's a shop light type reflector but it's not exactly a spotlight type bulb. You'd probably be better off running 2 of those, I have 2 on my 29 and it's in the low to low-medium range.

Yeah I might do that I just don't wanna run into algae problems running 110 watts of cfl on my 20 gallon. How many watts do u have on ur 29?

It's a lot less, I think they are around 23 watt or so. Is the 55 watt # the actual wattage or just what it's 'equivalent' wattage is?

It looks pretty good, DIY lighting is always very trial and error so since you already have it set up and it looks good I'd let it run like that and see how it goes, then adjust if necessary.

55 is the actual wattage. I never go by equivalent. It's a long seven inch spiral bulb. The socket supports up to 300 watts so I might get a stronger wattage in the long run.

nice, sounds like it'd work pretty good. In a spotlight type setup I'd be more apt to use multiple bulbs spread across the tank rather than one large one, just for more even distribution, but either way would work I'm sure. Aren't those bigger bulbs expensive?

I am running 52 watts of CFL on my 20 gal high, via 4 x 13 watt bulbs. My tank has a hood. I pulled the old florescent bulb, ballast and all and DIY wired up some sockets for the CFL's. Mine are spread out, so I can't speak much as to how your reflector will work for spreading the light, but I can speak of algae. I do get some. I have some BBA (Black beard/bush algae) on my rocks and drift wood and I scrubbed some green algae off the glass today during my water change.

Some of my algae problem is actually because of a filter that I was using (I switched it out today). It sat a little too high in the tank and didn't run all that well. It would splash water on the plastic light cover that separates my lights from my tank. Algae began growing on the plastic and then dripping down into my tank. I can let you know in the next couple weeks if my algae builds back up, but I imagine you will know yourself if its going to in your tank or not.

As for plants....Everything I put in has grown well. I am running a DIY CO2 generator (I like to DIY). I also use some liquid fertz each week with my water change, but I never dose as much as they say to.

Here is a short clip of my tank that I posted in another thread, just to give you an idea of how the plants are doing with the light. This was taken on the 12th of this month. I started adding the fertz the same day this was taken.

100_2504.MOV - YouTube

And here is another one that I shot today to show the difference.

100_2518.MOV - YouTube

jetajockey said:
nice, sounds like it'd work pretty good. In a spotlight type setup I'd be more apt to use multiple bulbs spread across the tank rather than one large one, just for more even distribution, but either way would work I'm sure. Aren't those bigger bulbs expensive?

Yeah the 55 watt bulb costs $12 easy so I'm sure the bigger bulb the more money. I might keep as is because I want java fern on the sides of the tank an I put two swords in the middle of the tank because the light is more centered but that I feel would work out great giving my amazon swords more light penetration. Any thoughts on the sword placement?

@Johny. That's a good looking tank! I can't wait to get some wisteria so I can get a look like that. Also shows what you can do with cfl not needing t5s all the time. I'm a little hesitant to wire my own sockets seeing as I don't know if I'm wiring right

Thank you very much. I have been in the hobby since mid May, and its been a lot of fun. I especially like seeing my plants grow. The wisteria grows like a weed! Most of the plant mass in my tank is wisteria. It puts out runners all over the place and pops up places I didn't plant it.

I agree with the CFL/T5 comment too. I have a hard time believing that everything we need for the hobby is some specialized piece of equipment that I have to go pay an arm and a leg for.

As far as wiring your own sockets. Its literally just a positive terminal and a neutral terminal. I just did the lights in a tank my wife is starting, and I bought sockets from Home Depot with the wires already on them. I just had to group all the positive wires together with the one from my power cord and and the neutral ones together with the ones from my power cord. The hood had a switch already (I tore it apart just like I did with mine). It was about an hour project to pull apart and put back together. I'll see if I can post a picture of how my wife's set up looks (its a lot prettier than mine).

Back
Top Bottom