Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

55g Dirt Planted

Picked all this up for $100. Came with a stand that needs painting, 55g, Fluval 404, an Emperor (still in the Jeep, not sure of the model), a strip light w/ reflector, a heater, and some decorations.

I will most likely be selling the Emperor, the light and the decorations. Going to be buying a new heater.

So, this tank is going to be an upgrade from my 10g. I had originally planned on making this a sole "distribution tank", but now I want to make it a show tank and I'll just sell the clippings. Still need to decide on a light, will be using PFS and Miracle Gro Organic Choice. This weekend will be painting the stand, the back of the tank, and leak testing. Hope to get the sand and dirt in by Sunday night. Feels good to have a big tank again!

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good buy. I love the Fluval models. What plants are you planning on getting? With a good sized tank, you could get some pretty cool aquascaping going on.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 1 Year +
Community Moderator

Looking forward to seeing this tank set up! You'll love the fluval, I love my two.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure what plants I'm gonna get yet, haven't decided. I hope the Fluval works OK, there is a receipt for a 2005 purchase. I'll test it out tonight or later this week.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can't wait to see this thing up and going
Old 04-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl414 View Post
Can't wait to see this thing up and going
Where in NY do you live?

Also, it seems this tank was built in 96. It's in surprisingly great condition, and the seals are all still moist. Typically, when do tanks tend to reach the end of their life?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I live upstate just below Albany.

No idea about that question, I've got a 10g from the 80's or early 90's and it still holds water. 55 is obviously a lot bigger and more stress haha
Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, that's a bit far. Was going to say that you're more than welcome to come and check out the tank once it's finished.

Phase 1:

This is where the tank/stand will go. It is going to make our living room look awesome. Yes, we have a rocking chair, and yes, I will be rocking back and watching this beaut when she's set up.

We moved the tank to the other side of the room because it is very unlevel where we plan on having the tank. It's going to take a lot of wood and leveling. Over here, we are leak testing it. It's still unlevel, which probably isn't a good idea, but we have no other options...the floors in this apartment suck. Here's a picture of my brother, eager to test the fluval:

All filled up. The Fluval is in working order, but MAN is that thing a pain to prime. I'm so used to the Rena filters with their auto-priming feature. The outtake on the Fluval is pretty cool.

I'm going to leak test it until Sunday night, most likely, as that is when the stand will be all painted and fixed up. What kind of paint/method should I use for the back of the tank? I always use spray paint, but I don't feel like lugging this thing back home and there's no way that I am going to spray paint in my apartment. So, so, SO pumped to get this thing going. It make take a bit since I need to up the funds for an enormous plant order, sweet drift wood, and a good light. Hoping to make this my best tank to date.

Stick around for more updates, and to all the planters out there: Get your clippings ready, as I'll be placing some big orders from you all .

Oh and one more thing: Can someone recommend me a good light? I'm looking to remain in the low-medium spectrum for this. I don't wanna spend too much either. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

haha maybe when im in the city. Your doing the same exact thing that im doing. Setting up my 10g for low light plants with miracle grow organic, then when thats rolling im gonna search craigslist for a 55, throw my couch out and replace it with it XD.

a really cheap site for plants and driftwood is Bobs Tropical Plants
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, I'll check it out. What I'm thinking may happen, is that I'll gradually "tear down" the 10g and use it as a grow out for clippings that I can use for myself or ship if anyone wants. It's almost inevitable with me. When I got my 72g, my 20g and 10g gradually went to shambles because the larger tank is all that I focused on.

Tags
55 gallon, dirt, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com