55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked all this up for $100. Came with a stand that needs painting, 55g, Fluval 404, an Emperor (still in the Jeep, not sure of the model), a strip light w/ reflector, a heater, and some decorations.

I will most likely be selling the Emperor, the light and the decorations. Going to be buying a new heater.

So, this tank is going to be an upgrade from my 10g. I had originally planned on making this a sole "distribution tank", but now I want to make it a show tank and I'll just sell the clippings. Still need to decide on a light, will be using PFS and Miracle Gro Organic Choice. This weekend will be painting the stand, the back of the tank, and leak testing. Hope to get the sand and dirt in by Sunday night. Feels good to have a big tank again!

img_1311305_0_5a03c4bae817b275227702bfb7e60847.jpg

Good buy. I love the Fluval models. What plants are you planning on getting? With a good sized tank, you could get some pretty cool aquascaping going on.

Last edited:
Not sure what plants I'm gonna get yet, haven't decided. I hope the Fluval works OK, there is a receipt for a 2005 purchase. I'll test it out tonight or later this week.

Can't wait to see this thing up and going :)

Where in NY do you live?

Also, it seems this tank was built in 96. It's in surprisingly great condition, and the seals are all still moist. Typically, when do tanks tend to reach the end of their life?

I live upstate just below Albany.

No idea about that question, I've got a 10g from the 80's or early 90's and it still holds water. 55 is obviously a lot bigger and more stress haha

Ah, that's a bit far. Was going to say that you're more than welcome to come and check out the tank once it's finished.

Phase 1:

This is where the tank/stand will go. It is going to make our living room look awesome. Yes, we have a rocking chair, and yes, I will be rocking back and watching this beaut when she's set up.

img_1311642_0_7782cbe2dd2209d802afa39665ad8549.jpg

We moved the tank to the other side of the room because it is very unlevel where we plan on having the tank. It's going to take a lot of wood and leveling. Over here, we are leak testing it. It's still unlevel, which probably isn't a good idea, but we have no other options...the floors in this apartment suck. Here's a picture of my brother, eager to test the fluval:

img_1311642_1_c7b345b63a21fa63a0fd6f7e360d39a2.jpg

All filled up. The Fluval is in working order, but MAN is that thing a pain to prime. I'm so used to the Rena filters with their auto-priming feature. The outtake on the Fluval is pretty cool.

img_1311642_2_4275f8b3cea59982d021d879c3fa3683.jpg

I'm going to leak test it until Sunday night, most likely, as that is when the stand will be all painted and fixed up. What kind of paint/method should I use for the back of the tank? I always use spray paint, but I don't feel like lugging this thing back home and there's no way that I am going to spray paint in my apartment. So, so, SO pumped to get this thing going. It make take a bit since I need to up the funds for an enormous plant order, sweet drift wood, and a good light. Hoping to make this my best tank to date.

Stick around for more updates, and to all the planters out there: Get your clippings ready, as I'll be placing some big orders from you all :-D.

Oh and one more thing: Can someone recommend me a good light? I'm looking to remain in the low-medium spectrum for this. I don't wanna spend too much either. Thanks!

haha maybe when im in the city. Your doing the same exact thing that im doing. Setting up my 10g for low light plants with miracle grow organic, then when thats rolling im gonna search craigslist for a 55, throw my couch out and replace it with it XD.

a really cheap site for plants and driftwood is Bobs Tropical Plants

Cool, I'll check it out. What I'm thinking may happen, is that I'll gradually "tear down" the 10g and use it as a grow out for clippings that I can use for myself or ship if anyone wants. It's almost inevitable with me. When I got my 72g, my 20g and 10g gradually went to shambles because the larger tank is all that I focused on.

yeah exactly. its hard to focus on more then one tank sometimes, especially when the other is so big. what kinda lights do you use on your 10g?

Check out my thread in my signature. I currently use a 27W CF fixture from AquaForest/ADA. Works wonders.

can you give me a link for it? im guessing its the entire light and not just the bulb

Easy way to prime them... Lift the output above water, open the valve, suck on the intake to get a siphon started, close valve, hook up, open valve, wait.

Once you start it once, that's it. Don't have to prime it ever again IME

Easy way to prime them... Lift the output above water, open the valve, suck on the intake to get a siphon started, close valve, hook up, open valve, wait.

Once you start it once, that's it. Don't have to prime it ever again IME

Easy enough. Thank you

What do you guys think, is the 404 sufficient enough for a 55 or should I run it with an HOB? Seeing as it's rated for up to 100g, I'd say it'd be good, but I'd like your opinions as well. Thanks

You will be fine with it, especially since you are going to go plant heavy.

Check out fishneedit.com. A dual T5HO would be good medium light. Rook has had great results with those lights.

Excited to see this up and running! All my plants are high light atm, or I would send ya what I could.

Yeah, a 404/405 is sufficient for up to a 75g, stocking depending of course. I think that'll be just fine.

And, fishneedit.com has very good lights IMO... just make sure you go with 10,000k bulbs (the 6500k are hideous IMO).

And... you know where you can get plants if you need some.. though USPS is apparently very slow in NY.

Back
Top Bottom