55g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tie it to a piece of lava rock with some black cotton thread and bury part of the lava rock in the sand.

Well how do I plant it? Do i push it down into the sand or will it root itself down? Also do I need root tabs? And I have no co2 but the lights are a total of 108watts.

You don't HAVE to tie it to a rock or driftwood. But don't plant the rhizome (tube thing that all the leaves come off of). Just shove the roots in the substrate for now.

You don't need to upgrade your lighting unless your going to really get into doing a planted tank.

And the anubias definitely needs something to attach to. Any rough surface will do but do not attempt to plant it.

Well I have the 108watts now already. I got a steal of a deal on them. They make the tank look 110% better! I am thinking I'll attempt DIY co2. Has anyone had any problems going this route? I've researched and watched a ton of videos on it, I'm pretty confident I can do it. Well going to lfs today for API master test kit n some lava rock/ driftwood :) will post pics asap!

Well I have the 108watts now already. I got a steal of a deal on them. They make the tank look 110% better! I am thinking I'll attempt DIY co2. Has anyone had any problems going this route? I've researched and watched a ton of videos on it, I'm pretty confident I can do it. Well going to lfs today for API master test kit n some lava rock/ driftwood :) will post pics asap!

DIY co2 doesn't usually work very well for this big of tanks. I'd stick with just getting a gallon jug of metracide 14 and just dilute it.

Okay, I think i found some on amazon but 40$ for 14days is kinda steep!

We're not using it for its intended use, I believe it's used to to sterilize veterinary equipment. It will come with an activator solution. THROW IT AWAY! The gallon bottle will last you a very long time even if you don't dilute it it with distilled water, you just use half the dose.

Ah okay. They have a 10$ bottle its just a lot smaller. The gallon is 40$.

image-1658022452.jpg

This one is 40$ im sure i can shop around though.

image-3347756750.jpg

The smaller one in this is 10$.

image-1995880769.jpg

image-594211310.jpg

Bonus pics of the wife's determination to stop looking at an empty tank. Really keeping an eye on water perms now. Been taking a sample everyday to lfs but buying an API test kit shortly today for home use :).

Not to be off topic in my own thread but why can I not post replys in other threads? Back on topic ;)

image-1366071547.jpg
Is this what you are referring to as lava rock? I had then sitting in a 5g bucket out in the shed. I had forgotten about them lol. They were "live rock" for my sw tank roughly 5yrs ago. They have been stored away for at least 3yrs now so they are surely "dead rock" now haha. But back to the question would these work as the lava rock for my fw planted setup?

Also forgot to add I bought this with the plant the other day

image-2972272865.jpg

Is this the same as the other stuff being discussed and water down to make safe?

Also forgot to add I bought this with the plant the other day

Is this the same as the other stuff being discussed and water down to make safe?

I'm not sure the ingredients in that, but I would assume its similar to seachem's excel which is watered down glut that we've been mentioning. Buying the glut in bulb is just more cost effective. When that runs out, save the bottle if you order glut it will make it easy to store.

Back
Top Bottom