55g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it was time for another huge rescape of my tank and since I have the day off, today was that day. Grand total of 3.5 hours of work, an overflowed tank, and a nearly broken toe and it's kind of finished :)

Some of my biggest complaints about the old scape is the abundance of midground to background plants in the front.

Before:
75748-albums12252-picture62165.jpg

New Drift wood:
75748-albums12252-picture62690.jpg

Holy crap that's a big temple leaf hygro:
75748-albums12252-picture62695.jpg

During:
75748-albums12252-picture62691.jpg

Halfway there:
75748-albums12252-picture62692.jpg

Finished:
75748-albums12252-picture62693.jpg

The worst part was the 83 individual Star repens but oh well It's over with now :) I also still need to fix the absolutely out of control temple leaf but that can wait until tomorrow.

I do however need some suggestions on some decent mid - foreground plants that will do well in a medium light tank. Anyone have any thoughts?

Well it was time for another huge rescape of my tank and since I have the day off, today was that day. Grand total of 3.5 hours of work, an overflowed tank, and a nearly broken toe and it's kind of finished :)

Some of my biggest complaints about the old scape is the abundance of midground to background plants in the front.

Before:

New Drift wood:

Holy crap that's a big temple leaf hygro:

During:

Halfway there:

Finished:

The worst part was the 83 individual Star repens but oh well It's over with now :) I also still need to fix the absolutely out of control temple leaf but that can wait until tomorrow.

I do however need some suggestions on some decent mid - foreground plants that will do well in a medium light tank. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'd add some colored crypts for color contrast. A long with rotala indica and Ludwigia repens. You have a lot of green!

And I might be interested in plants from you if likeendlers doesn't reappear by the time my new tank cycles.

I'd add some colored crypts for color contrast. A long with rotala indica and Ludwigia repens. You have a lot of green!

And I might be interested in plants from you if likeendlers doesn't reappear by the time my new tank cycles.

Yeah, I have a whole boatload of green. But my lighting system is kind of restrictive atm. In the next 2 months or so I will be going high tech and adding at least 1 more t5ho light if not 2 over my tank. That should open up some options for some other red plants.

Also, let me know if you need some plants.

Yeah, I have a whole boatload of green. But my lighting system is kind of restrictive atm. In the next 2 months or so I will be going high tech and adding at least 1 more t5ho light if not 2 over my tank. That should open up some options for some other red plants.

Also, let me know if you need some plants.

I have A. Reinekki growing quite well in my medium light no ferts/no co2 tank... And most high tech people can't keep it alive....

I have A. Reinekki growing quite well in my medium light no ferts/no co2 tank... And most high tech people can't keep it alive....

I find AR extremely easy to grow. However, it does grow slow. I wouldn't make the assumption most high tech people can't grow it.

I really enjoy this scape even with the green. Rotala Colorata would give some nice contrast, too.

I find AR extremely easy to grow. However, it does grow slow. I wouldn't make the assumption most high tech people can't grow it.

From my time lurking on TPT I've seen a lot of people having trouble keeping it alive. It's just what I've noticed.

Oh and in the back left I would place a group of rotala indica and Ludwigia repens. It'd give good color and leaf variety. Or move another bunch plant next to rotala and put Ludwigia somewhere else. Maybe some crypt florida sunset by the driftwood.

From my time lurking on TPT I've seen a lot of people having trouble keeping it alive. It's just what I've noticed. Oh and in the back left I would place a group of rotala indica and Ludwigia repens. It'd give good color and leaf variety. Or move another bunch plant next to rotala and put Ludwigia somewhere else. Maybe some crypt florida sunset by the driftwood.
Hm I haven't noticed. Oh well haha.

From my time lurking on TPT I've seen a lot of people having trouble keeping it alive. It's just what I've noticed.

Oh and in the back left I would place a group of rotala indica and Ludwigia repens. It'd give good color and leaf variety. Or move another bunch plant next to rotala and put Ludwigia somewhere else. Maybe some crypt florida sunset by the driftwood.

I bought a bulb of red tiger lotus for the back left. Two of them sprouted form it and are just now starting to grow in and color up

I have some but its just slooooooow growing. Only a few stems survived out of the pack I bought.

If your going to be adding more lights reasonably soon you should look into these:

Ludwigia Glandulosa
Ludwigia Atlantis
Rotala Mini Butterfly
Rotala Macrandra or Variegated Macrandra
Rotala Wallichii
Limnophila hippuroides

You can see the Atlantis, Macrandra, and Glandulosa in the picture to get an idea of the different colors you can add. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/64804-albums13012-picture60391.html

If your going to be adding more lights reasonably soon you should look into these:

Ludwigia Glandulosa
Ludwigia Atlantis
Rotala Mini Butterfly
Rotala Macrandra or Variegated Macrandra
Rotala Wallichii
Limnophila hippuroides

You can see the Atlantis, Macrandra, and Glandulosa in the picture to get an idea of the different colors you can add. Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 8-9-13 - Picture

Which plant is that very dark red/purple plant in the bottom right?

Ludwigia Glandulosa which many call Ludwigia Peruensis. Many people can't get that color on them because in order to get the dark maroon with the pink inner veins they need to be under very high light and for me low nitrates and high phosphates. I have metal halide and T5HO lighting combined.

I do really really like the ludwigia grandulosa and the limnophila hippuroides has been on my want list since I first saw it.

What do you think of ammania gracilis, pogostemon stellatus, and barclaya longifolia?

I do really really like the ludwigia grandulosa and the limnophila hippuroides has been on my want list since I first saw it.

What do you think of ammania gracilis, pogostemon stellatus, and barclaya longifolia?

The Ammania can be fussy, I've found it either likes a tank or it doesn't. Barclaya I've always liked but I've stayed away from P. Stellatus as it closely resembles Limnophila but is much more fussy.

Just realized I never posted a final picture of the aftermath of the rescape so here it is :)

75748-albums12252-picture63189.jpg

Back
Top Bottom