5g plant ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LykeOMGee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a free 5g plastic tank and I was planning on housing a betta with shrimp or snails. I want to have plants, driftwood and maybe some small rocks. Which low light plants would be best? I don't want a super fast growing one to take over the tank, unless the snails/shrimp would eat it.

Just looking for a list of possibilities so I can go to my LFS and check them out. Or if it's cheaper I'll buy online.

Do you know the best place to buy plants online in Canada?

Thanks.

aqua_chem said:
What kind of light do you have?

Just gonna be two 30cm long LED lights and possibly indirect sunlight. So should be low light ones.

I really like your tank! This will be my first live plant tank so I'm very excited! What plants do you have in there?

Thanks i have a bannana plant java fern moss and this other plant lol i think u need more light

hellaasian said:
Thanks i have a bannana plant java fern moss and this other plant lol i think u need more light

Yeah I was thinking the same. Not to sure what to do because its just a little plastic tank with a plastic lid (no light attached.) I've had a couple people say it should be fine, so ill see. I want to set it up with the plants and everything before I look at the bettas though just incase the plants don't work out and I have to do something else. Don't want to stress a fish out by moving it around from tank to tank if they don't work.

hellaasian said:
Just go buy a desk light

I thought of that too, but the lid isn't clear and aparently Bettas can jump. Someone told me that. Maybe I should just have it a shrimp and snail tank! Or I could get a bit of mesh for a lid..

I kept a male bettas for about 3 years and a sorority of female bettas in tanks with no lid and they never jumped once. Just my experience.

LykeOMGee said:
I thought of that too, but the lid isn't clear and aparently Bettas can jump. Someone told me that. Maybe I should just have it a shrimp and snail tank! Or I could get a bit of mesh for a lid..

What I'd did once was to take Saran Wrap & cut it so there would be an inch or so gap on the sides & put that over the top of the tank down the middle to keep the Betta from being able to jump out. It's clear so light gets in & doesn't stand out too badly. Not all Bettas are jumpers but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

Depending on the Shrimp ... A betta would have a field day. Any piece of plexiglass would work as a cover which your bound to find at home supply or arts / craft stores.

Personally ... A 5gal is great as an invert tank. Amano and RCS along with a couple of snails.

jcolon said:
Depending on the Shrimp ... A betta would have a field day. Any piece of plexiglass would work as a cover which your bound to find at home supply or arts / craft stores.

Personally ... A 5gal is great as an invert tank. Amano and RCS along with a couple of snails.

That sounds good. I think once I have it all set up ill figure what to put in it. I'm also thinking of Marimo balls. I found some on eBay for $1 something but they are super tiny and aparently 3 years old.. Would they grow bigger?

Nice tank. I'm working on setting up a 5 gallon planted tank for a fish show.

Back
Top Bottom