5g planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishybuisness

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm planning on a 5 gallon planted tank with a few shrimp and guppies. Anyways I'm a total newbie with a planted tank..do I cycle it as normal? What type of substrate? What about feeding the plants? Fill me in on what I'm getting into guys!

It really comes down to what your budget is because plants, substrate, livestock, and equipment all add up.

The smaller the tank the more difficult to maintain and in a 5g, I wouldn't recommend more than just some shrimp. Definitely cycle it as normal but because of how little water there is, you need to pay very close attention to the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite measurements, they build up quick! As for plants, anything that stays small. Anubias are a good choice, java fern, maybe some mosses like Java or fire. Other people will have more more suggestions but hopefully this will give you a start! You could have some snails on there too.

I have floramax and my shrimp seem to like to because of the small size. Also I have 5 gallon shrimp tank and it is not very hard to maintain except water changes (shrimp are sensitive copper) and regular plant trimming :)

Yeah I'm not to concerned about keeping the water quality..that comes second nature..Lol I want like a grass bed with some floating plants and all

People successfully have fish in 5 gallon tanks. It's not just for shrimp.

You could try to grow a dwarf hairgrass carpet but you will need a high output light. If your budget is not low I would recommend the finnex ray 2. It puts out a lot of kelvin perfect for dwarf hairgrass. You could grow it without co2, but it will grow slower.

Well I'm not too worried about my budget, however I prefer it to not be super high maintinence seeing as I have a few other tanks.. I will look into that light, however I had my eye on a 18w led fixture I forget what brand...is lighting for plants similar to my saltwater reef lighting? As far as the wattage and all?

We'll plants can't take in blue light so lights meant for reefs are usually a no. You'll have to look into what kind of plants you want and their requirements :)

With that light you will not be able to grow dwarf hair grass at a fast rate. Most grasses need high light and co2 injection. However you could get away with just high light and liquid carbon dosing

Hello!

I currently have a 5 gallon planted, not even close to being done, I have it stocked with a betta, 5 ghost shrimp, and 2 ADF's, I know it's over stocked, but I do by weekly 50% water changes, as long as you are good about water changes you'll be fine
I'll post a pic of it right now, you have lots of options, and I don't have very high light

img_2786638_0_c855cd0e165f01654486b6dc7a1e89f2.jpg
img_2786638_1_c5569dc26e804fed43b30ab9c52cacc8.jpg
img_2786638_2_a27df53bcf27691e27becc286e53b383.jpg

Hello!

I currently have a 5 gallon planted, not even close to being done, I have it stocked with a betta, 5 ghost shrimp, and 2 ADF's, I know it's over stocked, but I do by weekly 50% water changes, as long as you are good about water changes you'll be fine
I'll post a pic of it right now, you have lots of options, and I don't have very high light

Nice that looks good

Back
Top Bottom