5g shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jcolon said:
That's it(y). Nice and slow ... Let the tank come together. BUT I'll warn you ... Those little invertebrate arthropods have an almost mystical addictive quality that'll have you doing crazy things to make their tank perfect.:D

Lol ill be wary

Ha ha .. Then maybe I'll get my 20gal inspiration from your tank!

In all seriousness, that wouldn't be for a few months ... if at all ...and if I did have to break down the 6.6gal (may only have space for one or the other) I'd copy the exact layout onto my 20 long.

jcolon said:
That's it(y). Nice and slow ... Let the tank come together. BUT I'll warn you ... Those little invertebrate arthropods have an almost mystical addictive quality that'll have you doing crazy things to make their tank perfect.:D

And ill let it come together just righr lol

Geronica said:
How many rcs can be in a 5g tank (including fry)?
Also would those numbers be the same for ghost shrimp?

A lot...haha they have almost no bio load I'm pretty sure. I think ghost shrimp can get considerably larger than RCS so I would assume it couldn't be the same

jcolon said:
Ha ha .. Then maybe I'll get my 20gal inspiration from your tank!

In all seriousness, that wouldn't be for a few months ... if at all ...and if I did have to break down the 6.6gal (may only have space for one or the other) I'd copy the exact layout onto my 20 long.

I bet that would great cause theres more room to work with

abrinn23 said:
A lot...haha they have almost no bio load I'm pretty sure. I think ghost shrimp can get considerably larger than RCS so I would assume it couldn't be the same

Thats what i was wondering too thank you for clarifying that lol is there a standard rule of thumb

By the way...definitely recommend the black sand. You'd be amazed how much better everything looks in contrast to a black background and substrate

How many rcs can be in a 5g tank (including fry)?
Also would those numbers be the same for ghost shrimp?

With Adult RCS I've read you can have up to 10 per gallon ... Though 4-5 would give them much more room. With baby shrimp it gets more confusing ... Their so small with such small bio loads they really don't affect your water quality. The big trick is making sure there's enough food for the babies. Fortunately, they feed on the same stuff the adults do. Also leaf litters really help with both food and shelter for baby shrimp ... Though in an RCS only tank the babies are safe.

Honestly, because of how fast they breed, start with just 5-6 in a 5 gal. Figure 3-4 females the rest males and you'll be bound to have baby shrimp in no time.

Oops forgot about ghost shrimp ... Similar rules as RCS. However, it's very difficult ... from what I understand ... To breed ghost shrimp. I think they have a freshwater larvae stage but the problem is typical aquariums simply do not have the proper microorganisms/ nutrients in the water to keep them from starving.

Keep the tank heavily planted and the shrimp will always have plenty of forage. I always determine if I'm feeding enough based on their reaction. Drop a pellet or wafer in and wait a few minutes, if they swarm it immediately then you can probably get away with feeding a little more. If they leave the food alone for more than a few hours then you are overfeeding.

abrinn23 said:
By the way...definitely recommend the black sand. You'd be amazed how much better everything looks in contrast to a black background and substrate

What if i put the black sand with the fourite i think that would look good

jcolon said:
With Adult RCS I've read you can have up to 10 per gallon ... Though 4-5 would give them much more room. With baby shrimp it gets more confusing ... Their so small with such small bio loads they really don't affect your water quality. The big trick is making sure there's enough food for the babies. Fortunately, they feed on the same stuff the adults do. Also leaf litters really help with both food and shelter for baby shrimp ... Though in an RCS only tank the babies are safe.

Honestly, because of how fast they breed, start with just 5-6 in a 5 gal. Figure 3-4 females the rest males and you'll be bound to have baby shrimp in no time.

Good to know i think that what ill do and i plan to make this a shrimp only tank

jcolon said:
Oops forgot about ghost shrimp ... Similar rules as RCS. However, it's very difficult ... from what I understand ... To breed ghost shrimp. I think they have a freshwater larvae stage but the problem is typical aquariums simply do not have the proper microorganisms/ nutrients in the water to keep them from starving.

jetajockey said:
Keep the tank heavily planted and the shrimp will always have plenty of forage. I always determine if I'm feeding enough based on their reaction. Drop a pellet or wafer in and wait a few minutes, if they swarm it immediately then you can probably get away with feeding a little more. If they leave the food alone for more than a few hours then you are overfeeding.

jetajockey said:

Good to know on the feeding what is a good diet to provide

Here's my shrimp tank I started after seeing some of the ones on here. Still a work in progress but it's coming along;)

Attachments

• image-2623383507.jpg
    image-2623383507.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image-942026310.jpg
    image-942026310.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1877784981.jpg
    image-1877784981.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 96

Okay..thanks

Played with the rockd a little more what do guys think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121119_073534.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121119_073534.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom