6 Gallon Fluval Edge lighting upgrade? MR11 or new LED arm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I have a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I've had it for a few years now. These are (I think) the lights I'm currently using, replacing the stock halogens:
MR11 10 White LED G4 Base
"Color:White (6000K)
View Angle:140 Deg/Consumption:2.1 Watt
Light output:160 Lumen"
Amazon.com: Ledwholesalers Brightest MR11 12 Volt AC DC 10 5050 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle 160 Lumen 2.1 Watt, White, 1113WH: Home Improvement

Plants live with just the MR11s, but I didn't really see good growth until I started adding more light and the occasional Flourish Excel. I'd really like to give dwarf hair grass a shot again. :whistle: It all floated away the last time I tried planting some (a year or two ago), but last week I found a single strand of it still alive in my tank.... lol.

I need new ones, but I heard about the new LED arm (and I saw this thread!), and went about seeing if I could get one. Turns out you can buy the arm for the 12 gallon Edge and it'll still fit in the 6, from Amazon for about $40.

This is the info I could find:
"Genuine Fluval EDGE 42 LED Replacement Lamp
Powerful bright white 7600K high luminosity LED's with 3 deep blue night-time light LED's and 3 position switch"

I have some supplemental lights I got from Ikea sitting on top, and lately I've been time-sharing the Marineland Reef-capable light that goes on my ten-gallon in the evening...

edge_jan13.jpg

Anyway um.... should I try getting the LED arm? Or stick with the MR11s?

Also, has anyone had any problems with the LED arm? I also have a Fluval Spec (2 gallon), and half of the LEDs on the light that came with it died like... within a couple months. :/

Thanks anybody, if you can help! :fish2:

Does that led light bulb have a protective cover on it? I have the 6.6 Edge too with the old lights. They actually do a good job for growing many things!

Not dhg lol! Mine is floating away a few strands at a time!

I just saw on either amazon or Ebay a set of two led lights for it for $17 and I think they had the cover over the leds. Just browsing and considering the upgrade too. So I will be following along.

I am worried that it will change everything in the tank and mine stays lovely for almost everything right now and I kind of hate to shake it up. Besides I got 4 halogen bulbs on clearance for a couple dollars each so maybe when they are used up. Which could be sooner than later as they drop into the tank periodically. lol

You should PM d_flo_yo on that thread and ask his opinion on that LED arm replacement for the Edge 12g. From the looks of his DHG, it seems that LED is working.

Another option are DIY LED strips you can place on top of the glass to work alongside the MR11 LEDs you have now. I also seen an edge using one of those new Current Padlite LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom