64g Rimless, Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeeLee2013

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, husby and I are moving and getting a bigger house. During the discussions on furniture, flooring, and other décor, he looked at me and said:
"I think a tank in the living room would be awesome. A big one. And one of those kinds that you show me in magazines and stuff."
He was serious.
Challenge accepted.?
So, I have started planning.
I want to have a showcase/display tank that's rimless. Since GLA is an hour away from my new house, I was thinking the 120cm 64g rimless tank they have would be a great tabula rasa.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427340627.498220.jpg
I have already brainstormed and thought of the basics for equipment.
I need opinions and experiences to help iron all this out!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427340906.730321.jpg
Chime in, everyone. Nothing is set in stone just yet, so if you have recommendations, I need to hear them!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

Ohhh, lucky! Our floorboards are so old I question the 36 gal even, so I doubt I'll ever see one that big. What are you thinking of stocking it with?

Ohhh, lucky! Our floorboards are so old I question the 36 gal even, so I doubt I'll ever see one that big. What are you thinking of stocking it with?

I'm not sure yet. Definitely just trying to figure out equipment and hardscape at the moment. The possibilities are endless!!

? Diana Lee ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Ooooo baby cakes that's a sweet tank! If that's up in may and you have cold beer I'm coming over! What are you going for as far as planted extent? Full high tech? I pre ordered one of the 24 7 as well. It's going to be limited on an 18" tank I'd think. You'd need 2 to really get the job done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Isn't led lights bad?

If by bad you're referring to Michaels usage in his famed song?? Yes they're bad like Clint Eastwood;)

Ooooo baby cakes that's a sweet tank! If that's up in may and you have cold beer I'm coming over! What are you going for as far as planted extent? Full high tech? I pre ordered one of the 24 7 as well. It's going to be limited on an 18" tank I'd think. You'd need 2 to really get the job done.

Well, I decided to get a little ritzy. I preordered a 48", a 30" and a 20". So, three Finnex 24/7's will be at my door in May ? I saw PAR values at 60 with a 20g high tank with just one light. You're right, though. This tank will be about 18" deep, so two 48" might be necessary to grow the goods.
Plants? I want color. I want reds and golds and bright greens. And I'm thinking a traditional Amano style with stone-only hardscape... Not decided though.
Definitely thinking full high tech. Getting another regulator and more goodies from GLA to keep the sleek lines going.
And beer? We have a kegerator ?

? Diana Lee ?

I'm going to move into your attic. Not in a creepy way, of course. You had me at tanks and beer. Nice equipment choices.
Wow! Just kidding about the attic. Will just live vicariously through this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to move into your attic. Not in a creepy way, of course. You had me at tanks and beer. Nice equipment choices.
Wow! Just kidding about the attic. Will just live vicariously through this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hee hee. Sadly, the house only has a teensy crawlspace above the garage. No matter! You and Brookster can always visit ☺️

? Diana Lee ?

So, thought about PAR considering the 18" tank depth. Listened to Brookster. Decided to preorder a second 48" Finnex Planted+ 24/7. So, two of those babies will be at my doorstep in late May!
Still need help picking out a canister filter. I was thinking the Fluval 406. Or would an Eheim work better? I'm not sure how the clear vinyl tubing would work with the Fluval. Doesn't it use ribbed hose?
Never used a canister filter before. Help would be appreciated!

? Diana Lee ?

So, thought about PAR considering the 18" tank depth. Listened to Brookster. Decided to preorder a second 48" Finnex Planted+ 24/7. So, two of those babies will be at my doorstep in late May!
Still need help picking out a canister filter. I was thinking the Fluval 406. Or would an Eheim work better? I'm not sure how the clear vinyl tubing would work with the Fluval. Doesn't it use ribbed hose?
Never used a canister filter before. Help would be appreciated!

? Diana Lee ?

I use a fluval and a Filstar. The clear vinyl tubing will work fine, but, if you can go for black tubing to prevent algae growth inside.

I prefer Fluval over Eheims, but for every person that likes fluval more than Eheim, there's another person that likes Eheim over Fluval. Both are good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is gonna be an epic build, can't wait. Good choice on ordering a fixture and scape style. I have two planted +s on a 18in 29g, if I had one it wouldn't produce enough light for me.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a fluval and a Filstar. The clear vinyl tubing will work fine, but, if you can go for black tubing to prevent algae growth inside.

I prefer Fluval over Eheims, but for every person that likes fluval more than Eheim, there's another person that likes Eheim over Fluval. Both are good.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Would the Fluval 406 handle a 64g? And what size tubing would be needed?
Since the tank is rimless and I'm going with all glass pipes and accessories, I thought clear tubing might be sleeker. But, black would prevent growth... Additional input, anyone?

? Diana Lee ?

Will you be blacking out the back glass? If so I'd think you'd be fine with clear tubing(5/8" ).tubing will need cleaned from time to time..
Canister....I'd go for the Rena XP3 since you'll be using glass hardware..

Will you be blacking out the back glass? If so I'd think you'd be fine with clear tubing(5/8" ).tubing will need cleaned from time to time..
Canister....I'd go for the Rena XP3 since you'll be using glass hardware..

I was planning to frost the back side of the tank.

? Diana Lee ?

Clear tubing should do the trick,black tubing may stand out against the frost background...
"If you build they will come"....plants that is! And if the Kegerator is in play others will come too...

Back
Top Bottom