6500K vs 10000K - side by side pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since there is always a lot of chatter about 6500K vs 10000K, and I have one of each, I took a pic of the two bulbs (or the reflection, I do like my retinas!) to show the color difference between the two. The pic doesn't exactly match the real colors but does show the relative difference between the two and I though folks might like to see. I cannot see a difference in the two ends of the tank even though the lights are offset. These are 96 watt, over a 55.

6500K on the left, 10000K on the right:
P1030661.JPG

I have found that different brand lights of the same K-temp can look different as well.... Sometime extremely different.

dapellegrini said:
I have found that different brand lights of the same K-temp can look different as well.... Sometime extremely different.

Dape makes a good point. Different brands have different visual looks.

I can compare my two bulbs (6700 and 10,000) and clearly see the 10,000k is a lot whiter with a blue tint to it.

Newfound's pictures are pretty good in showing the difference between the two. 96w 10,000k bulbs hurt the eyes too! :lol:

I've taken comparison shots of multiple T-8 bulbs before. Pretty neat to see the color difference.

Bah, forget about the lights...do you see the clarity of that water? :shock:

When I got my first set of 10k lights, my wife told me to turn them off and they were the brightest thing in the room.

When I got my first set of 10k lights, my wife told me to turn them off and they were the brightest thing in the room.

Heh, my planted tank is the main light in the room as well.

Yeah, between the 2x96 watt on the 55, and the 4x39 watt T5s on the SW tank, I don't really need room lights at all. My house looks so funny coming down the street at night, the whole thing is lit up and blue!

newfound77951 said:
Yeah, between the 2x96 watt on the 55, and the 4x39 watt T5s on the SW tank, I don't really need room lights at all. My house looks so funny coming down the street at night, the whole thing is lit up and blue!

Hehe same here! Wait until I get my 70w MH nano-reef going right by the window. The city won't need streetlights in front of the apartment.

I'm waiting for the day the cops come banging down my door for growing certain "plants". Wouldn't be too unusual for someone around here growing illegal plants. With as bright as my room is, I bet people go "hmmmmmm" when they drive by. :lol:

Further illustration. The pink looking bulbs are AquaMedic Planta 5,000k. The other 4 are 10,000k bulbs, one AquaMedic Ocean White and 3 of another brand. Easy to see how different even identical k-temparature lights can be:

DSC03357-1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom