6500k vs. 12000k for plant growth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pleechford said:
So what do you advise to be the best t5ho bulb that'll help being out reds in this such as rotala and assist is the horizontal growth of glosso?

Well, I obviously don't know jack about growing glosso any direction other than up. As far as reds go, go Giesemann or go home, imo.

Well I just trimmed and re planted. I dont really see how it'll work but I'm giving it a shot!

pleechford said:
Well I just trimmed and re planted. I dont really see how it'll work but I'm giving it a shot!

I know with my Lily I kept trimming the tall leaves and now it grows bushier and more compact.

I haven't tried Glosso but plenty of my club members follow this. Aqua Forest in San Francisco as well.

I call BS on this. Temperature is an extremely poor metric for bulbs. It is literally judging a book based on its cover. You need to consider the ENTIRE spectrum, not just what the color appears to be. The reason the blue bulbs are bad is because the spectrum is lumped entirely in the blue without any red or green. I bet that 10000K+ bulbs that are designed for FW have sufficient green/red light to grow plants.

I agree with you that you can't just go by color temp alone when choosing bulbs you need to also consider light wavelenghts, PAR, PUR, Lumens, LUX, and watts. I was just trying to keep it simply, the subject of lighting can get a little confusing and because pleechford started this post with the subject of bulb color temps. The majority of T5 bulbs on the market that are designed for plant growth, and the ones most people have success with are in the lower temp range. Again I'm not saying you can't get good growth with higher temp bulbs.

I agree with you that you can't just go by color temp alone when choosing bulbs you need to also consider light wavelenghts, PAR, PUR, Lumens, LUX, and watts. I was just trying to keep it simply, the subject of lighting can get a little confusing and because pleechford started this post with the subject of bulb color temps. The majority of T5 bulbs on the market that are designed for plant growth, and the ones most people have success with are in the lower temp range. Again I'm not saying you can't get good growth with higher temp bulbs.

Lumens, Lux, color temperature, and watts are completely inconsequential for bulb choice, aesthetic opinions notwithstanding. PAR (and PUR, although noone uses PUR in FW Aquaria) will be fairly consistent between bulb makers, much more so when comparing bulbs all made by the same maker, making it a non-factor as well. In the end, the only major difference between bulbs is their spectra, of which color temperature is a function of (not the other way around).

I'm going with the giesemann aquaflora and midday combo. Should be ordered before the day is over! I'm hoping to see some better results with my r. Colorata and red rotala!

Hey guys, I have a question for y'all. I have a 25g tall with t5ho x2 24 watt and currently have a floramax and a 12000k in it. I am trying to grow glosso but it's just growing vertically. I guess what I'm trying to say is that is my 12000k pretty much pointless for my plant growth? People are telling me to get a 6500k bulb to replace my 12kk and my glosso should grow horiz. And my plants will do so much better. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Bang On! 6500K with CRI above 90. you can grow any plant. (y)

Back
Top Bottom