72 gal bowfront lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrc10000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need a lighting solution for a 72 gallon bowfront planted tank, it is fairly deep (24")-- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John

How much light are you shooting for? I would recommend T-5s they give great light and should penetrate pretty well.

I second the second. t5 ho give the most light in the least space and the most options in light spectrums and arrangements. wish i had gone with t5s

Thanks for your replies-- I did a little research on T5-- I would be looking for how many watts? What is their advantage over power compact?
Many thanks
John

Well, first off, what kind of tank are you wanting to do? Hi tech, hi light, which needs fertilizers and CO2, or a lower maintenance low or medium light setup? Heavily planted or lightly?

The advantages over PC are several. They run cooler, so less heat gets put into your tank. They're more efficient power wise. They penetrate deeper into the water column than PCs do.

I will be doing co2, most likely off a reactor. Floradepot under gravel as a substrate. Fairly heavily planted-- Cardinals, rams, maybe four discus...

I just found a t6 HO 48" 3x40w setup-- 2 x t6 and 1 x t8, I'm unfamiliar with t6. I also found a 4 x 54w T5 HO setup, but that seems like a lot of light for the fish--

If it were me, I'd go T5 4x54. The light won't hurt the fish, and will give you good options for planting - but will require Co2 and fertilization with that much light.

OK, How about this: in the interest of cost effectiveness-- I already have have a two bulb normal output 48" from another tank that I can put decent bulbs in, which can go towards the back of the tank, for the taller plants. In the front I can put a 2x54w t5 HO lamp... How does this sound? Also, 6500k for the t5 bulbs? Any thoughts on moon LED's?
Many thanks
John

That arrangement would give you adequate lighting for a nice variety of plants. I have almost the same arrangement on my 75 and so far I am quite happy with it. the moon lights are up to you. I have never bothered with them.

6500K is spot on, I highly recommend the Geissman midday bulbs.

As for the moon LEDs, in FW there's no benefit to the plants/inhabitants, but there's nothing wrong with them either. I have them on a few tanks, it's fun to see what's going on at night.

Back
Top Bottom