72g hexagonal cherry barbs/ angel (?) tank ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaticterror

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be moving 4 stripped rafael cats and a pair of pink convicts to my 125g central American tank leaving my 72g (that's how many gallons I emptied in them until I filled them) empty once again. Based on my err in judgement there will be at least 6 cherry barbs as residents.

Filters, lighting and cycling are all taken care of and have been running and established for 5 years.

I'm interested in adding a pair of angels. I'm not 100 percent sure. I definitely want to plant this tank using med/low light plants, possible wabi-kusa (?sp) naturescape using a 400W metal halide to grow terrestrial plants and floating plants.
This is what happened to my 5.5g ultra low tech plant feature when I didn't prune it for about a month (I maintained parameters and water changes, did not clip any of the plants or replant any that were knocked/dug/chewed out of the substrate.

what am I doing?

Attachments

• 1414346045163.jpg
    1414346045163.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 1414346105773.jpg
    1414346105773.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 88
This is what's left of my monster 29g pruning.

what am I doing?

Attachments

• 1414346224906.jpg
    1414346224906.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 86
If you had all the extra plant cuttings and just the restriction of 6 cherry barbs as residents, what would you do?

what am I doing?

Cherry barbs don't really restrict you for stocking too much. I would at the very least double the school though. I think angels are a good idea, and you can get some Corys for the bottom. I would also do a nice school of black neons for the top part of the tank.

Cherry barbs don't really restrict you for stocking too much. I would at the very least double the school though. I think angels are a good idea, and you can get some Corys for the bottom. I would also do a nice school of black neons for the top part of the tank.

+1
Although neons have been known to become food for angels so maybe a larger tetra species, congos, emperors, Rummynoses, black widows, cardinals.

Black neons are different than neons. They aren't even in the same genus. They're larger and deep bodied which makes them considerably more difficult to eat than the torpedo shaped regular neon.

Black neons are different than neons. They aren't even in the same genus. They're larger and deep bodied which makes them considerably more difficult to eat than the torpedo shaped regular neon.

That is true sorry I have black neons myself but have never kept regular neons so that's my misunderstanding that "neons" as a whole was a cautious thing in general with Angels.

Can you measure this 72g hexagon.. point to point and then from panel to panel on top and the height.. Ive honestly never heard of a 72g hexagon before... Bigger and smaller sizes yes.. but not 72 gallons...

Measuring by pouring buckets in the tank is flawed... If your short like 2-3-4 inches in that bucket (so you don't spill the water moving) then after say 20 buckets.. do you know how many supposed gallons your miss counting ?

My guess is you have a 65g hexagon. Or a 75 gallon.. but I bet its a 65

You gatta go by tank dimensions

Can you measure this 72g hexagon.. point to point and then from panel to panel on top and the height.. Ive honestly never heard of a 72g hexagon before... Bigger and smaller sizes yes.. but not 72 gallons...

Measuring by pouring buckets in the tank is flawed... If your short like 2-3-4 inches in that bucket (so you don't spill the water moving) then after say 20 buckets.. do you know how many supposed gallons your miss counting ?

My guess is you have a 65g hexagon. Or a 75 gallon.. but I bet its a 65

You gatta go by tank dimensions

To figure out the volume just do the area of the base X height.

It's a 75g then, I have 3 1/2 inches of ecocomplete at the bottom. It's 4' high and about 2 1/2'- 3' corner to corner. It was custom built for the past owner and I got it for a steal when they moved. My friend has a 65g and I know it's bigger than that. I haven't tried to figure the volume yet as it's only been used as a grow out tank and I can't find my measuring tape anywhere currently, but when I can I'll post measurements.

I have heard different things about cherry barbs, namely that they are not specifically schooling by nature and do better when stocked in pairs and not in the normal 2 girls for every boy I've gotten used to. Anybody have any input there?

Also wondering if yoyo or skunk loaches would be an option as I'm looking for something a little more than cories, I love them, but I'm over run by them.

what am I doing?

I have 4 cherry barbs two males and two females. They get along fine, every now and then I see the males fight over a girl but it rarely happens because the females never seem interested.

I have found an even split of males and females time best with barbs, though really the ratio only matters when you keep schools that are too small. In a large school the ratio is unimportant because there are ample males and females to spread around breeding pressures and aggression. Not that they are aggressive, but all fish are aggressive in their own right.

Skunk loaches are pretty aggressive fish and grow to 10" iirc, which is way too big for your tank. Yoyos are a much better choice between the two.

Congos are too big for your tank. The most important number to consider is not the number of gallons the tank holds, but the length of the tank. Your tank may be 70+ gallons, but at 4 feet tall there is a ton of unusable water for most fish. Would make for a better tank if it were 4 feet long.

A large school of 10 or so Diamond tetras would work great with the angels. They color up more and more with age and the males dorsal fin continues to grow so older ones have a long flowing one. I love them and they school together very well.

Not sure what you mean by "like congo's" but they get nice sized with a more rounded body compared to congo's. I like the way they sparkle like diamonds when under lights. You can tell the females over time since their fins stay small. If you get small ones to start you will eventually be able to tell the sexes apart as they age.

It's a 75g then, I have 3 1/2 inches of ecocomplete at the bottom. It's 4' high and about 2 1/2'- 3' corner to corner. It was custom built for the past owner and I got it for a steal when they moved. My friend has a 65g and I know it's bigger than that. I haven't tried to figure the volume yet as it's only been used as a grow out tank and I can't find my measuring tape anywhere currently, but when I can I'll post measurements.

I have heard different things about cherry barbs, namely that they are not specifically schooling by nature and do better when stocked in pairs and not in the normal 2 girls for every boy I've gotten used to. Anybody have any input there?

Also wondering if yoyo or skunk loaches would be an option as I'm looking for something a little more than cories, I love them, but I'm over run by them.

what am I doing?

lol 4 feet high ?? So is it sitting on a 12 inch tall stand ? If you had a 4 foot tall hexagon on a stand it would be near the ceiling in height just an FYI.. My hexagon is 25 inches tall and im looking at it right now if I add another 22 inches I wouldn't even be able to reach the lid and id need a 6 foot tall ladder to get to the tank and you wouldn't even be able to reach the bottom unless your arms can stretch 2 feet... I think you got the tank height wrong lol.. Im really interested in knowing the measurements can you find your tape measure ? Or get a ruler lol.

Take a picture of this hexagon I love odd shaped tanks and im curious to see what this looks like... 25 inches deep and wide and 48 inches tall is a 128g hexagon. :p If it were 4 feet tall and 75 gallons then it would have to be like 19 inches wide

Im willing to be your tank is a 65g Hexagon.. and its either wider and shorter or narrower and taller then your friends tank

42" tall- this was a built in hex in the center column of a house and was plumbed into an ro/di unit with doser.

And yes, I actually have to use a gorilla ladder and extendable tools to perform maintenance, the hood is only 2 feet away from my 10 foot ceilings ?

what am I doing?

Back
Top Bottom