75 gallon planted aquarium log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I wish I could be more help. The best thing that I can say is that I THINK that would be a little heavy on the stocking. Have you checked liveaquaria.com? That will tell you how large they will get and then I'm sure if you use the 1" of fish per gallon, and bounced it off their recommendation for tank size you would get a fair idea. This is how I would see it:
6 boesemani rainbows = 18
6 tiger barbs = 18
6 green tiger barbs = 18
4 corys = 10
2 plecos = 8 (I am using Starry Night Plecos cause they look cool for this calc)
10-20 small tetras (silver tip or rummynose) = 20-40
Total = 92-112
Going off the 1" per gal you are heavy. If it were my tank I think that I would go with only the green tigers. Well, supposing I could afford everything else anyway. That would definitely be a very colorful tank that way too! Hopefully someone else will chime in with a less crude measurement of how to stock though!

Well, I wish I could be more help. The best thing that I can say is that I THINK that would be a little heavy on the stocking. Have you checked liveaquaria.com? That will tell you how large they will get and then I'm sure if you use the 1" of fish per gallon, and bounced it off their recommendation for tank size you would get a fair idea. This is how I would see it:
6 boesemani rainbows = 18
6 tiger barbs = 18
6 green tiger barbs = 18
4 corys = 10
2 plecos = 8 (I am using Starry Night Plecos cause they look cool for this calc)
10-20 small tetras (silver tip or rummynose) = 20-40
Total = 92-112
Going off the 1" per gal you are heavy. If it were my tank I think that I would go with only the green tigers. Well, supposing I could afford everything else anyway. That would definitely be a very colorful tank that way too! Hopefully someone else will chime in with a less crude measurement of how to stock though!

Inch per gallon is just a basis but not an end all. If that were the case I would be about 55" over that rule right now. As far as stock list I would do something like the following:

6 boesemani rainbows
10-15 corys
5 Otocinculus
20 green neon tetras or 15 Tiger Barbs

Corys' like to be kept in groups the larger the better, drop the plecos and go with Otos' they are much better at algae control and are fun to watch. Lastly choose either barbs or tetras but not both. If you want a couple of schools I would consider droping the Rainbows to add another schooling fish but I think the 75 looks best with a single schooling fish.

These are all my opinions so take it as that. In the end you can be the only one to decide what looks best in your tank.

Craig

By the time they are full grown I'll be double the normal filter capacity 2215 x2) also, so I was hoping I could get away with a little more than the 1" rule, especially with plants helping.

I'm not sure I enjoy corys enough to have that many swimming around. I mainly wanted them to help be the CC. Plus I really wanted the fish I selected to be colorful, and from what I've seen corys are fairly bland. Maybe go loaches instead? The clown loaches are cool enough.

Why do you think I should go with the Tetras or barbs and not both? Are you thinking the barbs will pick at the smaller tetras? I had kind of went on the assumption that they would be mostly involved with each other and on the occasion they went after a tetra, it would be plenty fast enough to run away. Or is it simply the single school thing?

I am pretty far from one of the most experienced people on this forum so I was just trying to help. I wasn't saying that you have to do it my way or anything. If you are comfortable with that many fish then by all means go with your original stock list because it shouldn't be bad at all! The fish selection is definitely awesome and would provide for a very colorful tank. I have done some researching and there are several people on here that have barbs and tetras together and they do just fine. They say that the trick is to have enough barbs to have them school so that they play with each other and don't go fin nipping. As I said, most if this is hear say and wouldn't hold up in court but it is what I have read from stalking these forums for hours a day. Best of luck and I can't wait to see some pictures!!

By the time they are full grown I'll be double the normal filter capacity 2215 x2) also, so I was hoping I could get away with a little more than the 1" rule, especially with plants helping.

I'm not sure I enjoy corys enough to have that many swimming around. I mainly wanted them to help be the CC. Plus I really wanted the fish I selected to be colorful, and from what I've seen corys are fairly bland. Maybe go loaches instead? The clown loaches are cool enough.

Why do you think I should go with the Tetras or barbs and not both? Are you thinking the barbs will pick at the smaller tetras? I had kind of went on the assumption that they would be mostly involved with each other and on the occasion they went after a tetra, it would be plenty fast enough to run away. Or is it simply the single school thing?

Just remember Cories or Loaches both do best in large groups, they are social fish, to me its only fair to the fish to keep social type fish in a group especially if we keep them in our glass boxes. Also Clown Loaches will grow to 12" or so and will be a heavy bioload. As far as the Tetra/ Barb mix it works for some but either or can be a real fin nippers. If you have your heart set on both its really up to you.

I'm one that cycles through fish to find the right combination. I tried out some Dwarf Bumble Bee cats great fish with great personality but didn't fit the tank - so I removed them with in 24 hours of putting them in and sold them for a $45 loss. Dario Dario I removed them as well along with the Badis Badis as neither used teh section of the tank that everyone siad they would. The thing to realize is every fish is different and will act different in your tank then anyone elses. Just because it works for one person doesn't mean it will work for hte next person. If fish don't get along just be ready to remove them or try another fish to fill its spot. That is why I said it really all comes down to personal opinion.

Craig

SP, no worries, I appreciate the help man :)

Craig, I guess I'm kind of worried about "trying" fish because I'm not sure what to do with them if I decide they aren't right. I'm not sure the fish store I'm closest to would take something if I didn't buy it from them.

SP, no worries, I appreciate the help man :)

Craig, I guess I'm kind of worried about "trying" fish because I'm not sure what to do with them if I decide they aren't right. I'm not sure the fish store I'm closest to would take something if I didn't buy it from them.

My LFS will take them for free and resell them but won't buy them. I end up trying to sell them locally, usualy loose a fair bit over purcahse price.

If your not into 'trying' fish you will need to do plenty of research and even then be super selective in what you buy. I always do research but sometimes they still don't work out as planned just something to consider.

Craig

Yeah, I'm wondering if the local people would just take the fish then. I currently have some that I'm going to have to move out in some way or another once it comes to stocking time. I mentioned trading to them at one point and they weren't up for it.

Well..... I got a nice little ton of bricks dropped on me today. I was laid off so this project is going on hold until I can figure out what the **** I'm going to do. This reaaaaaallly sucks.

Oi, good news! I have an interview tomorrow, and hopefully things will work out. If they do, I have a lot of money coming in from the severance check and all.... guess what that means?!?!?! Yep, a big equipment/plant order!

I think the interview went well so keep your fingers crossed so I can get this build back on track.

After looking at all the equipment here's the list for upgrades. Take a look through the pieces if you don't mind and if anything seems shaky or has a bad reputation let me know.

Catalina Aquarium Solar T5HO 5x54w (2x 6500 2x Plant Grow)
Hydor ETH 300w Heater
Hydor Hydroset Heater Controller
Lifeguard Aquatics 25w UV Sterilizer
4x 20lbs bags of Eco-Complete
GLA Ultimate CO2 regulator (with Fabco valve, Bubble checker and solenoid)
GLA drop checker
GLA 5# cylinder
Rex Griggs style PVC reactor

I've decided against upgrading the 2213 to the 2215. I figure I'm not really going through a lot of trouble having different sized media, and I'm not sure its worth $120 for the extra 40 gallons worth of capacity overkill for now. Once the fish and plants are in place and the fish are getting bigger, maybe I'll upgrade it then.

I also considered going with 2 200w ETHs instead of the single 300w, however I've decided to forgo that to save the money, since I would have to buy the heater and another controller. Also I've heard its hard on heaters when they overpower a tank, because they turn on and off more and there is more opportunity for failure. I'm adding the controller just for that extra safety check, so if something goes wrong chances are the other temperature cutoff will work.

Yet another thing I'm nixing is the pH probe. I'm going to follow Craig's advice and just use a drop checker. It's cheaper, will simplify my plumbing as I won't an inline probe holder and all that fun stuff.

What do you all think of the bulb combination? Are the plant grow bulbs worthwhile, or should I just go with 4x 6500?

Oh and just a complaint, and maybe someone from Catalina Aquarium will see this and change it... I'm spending $245 on a light with moonlights. Why are legs not included. Another $10 for that seems like gouging.

I have the 2213 running now, hoping it will clear up the water a little more with the extra power. The extra surface agitation is busting up the stupid film that's always up there too so that makes me happy :)

I've done a ton of research today on plants and built a list of proposed plants. I probably won't start with everything obviously but they've piqued my interest enough that I'll try them all eventually. I've shot for solid variances in leaf shape, texture, size, and a little color.

I'm putting this here mainly for safe keeping for now, but I'd love to get some feedback on the choices. If you see any problems, or words of caution let me know!

Foreground

Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae - 'Micro Sword' - South America

Midground

Rotala Macrandra - Asia
Cryptocoryne Walkerii - 'walkerii' - Sri Lanka
Ludwiga Inclinata - Central/South America
Ludwiga Repens
Shinnersia Rivularis - 'Mexican Oak Leaf' - North America

Mid-Background

Hygrophila Corymbosa - 'Angustifolia' - Asia
Hygrophila Corymbosa - 'Green Temple' - Southeast Asia
Echinodorus Oriental - 'Oriental Sword'
Echinodorus Martii - 'Ruffle Sword'
Echinodorus Bleheri - Amazon Sword - South America
Cryptocoryne Ponterderifolia - 'Ponterderifolia' - Sumatra
Bacopa Australis - South America

Background

Echinodorus Osiris - 'Melon Sword' - South America
Vallisneria Spiralis - 'Italian Vals' - Asia
Bacopa Carolina - 'Bacopa' - North America

Well, made the first steps towards the eventual finished tank today!

I had some time today to go to the LFS and turn over the fish I wasn't going to keep. While I was there I ended up buying 60lbs of Eco-Complete and some new fishies! They had some great looking rainbows and I couldn't pass them up. I grabbed a pair of Yellow Rainbows, and 4 Boesemani Rainbows. I also grabbed 12 tiger barbs since they had a special going on.

And now PICTURES! Please excuse the poopy quality, I'm still using my phone's camera. A new digi cam is on the list hehe.

We started by pulling out all the gravel and putting it into buckets, then I emptied the eco into another and to ad some interest I put some of the light gravel in with it and mixed it up. I think it looks pretty cool.

After I had just put the Eco mixture in.
img_1122179_0_013b639aaba386b2b01e9820ebf86bb6.jpg

img_1122179_1_917917681b3e760ad2d427ba91236129.jpg

Then I laid my slate wall in and filled behind it with more eco/gravel mixture.

Shots of the wall
img_1122179_2_6c2f1b0ebd53e4206e77db61fa8c9050.jpg

img_1122179_3_13875c2c560057043b0d76cff2213b39.jpg

Tank full. As you can see that bastard piece of driftwood is still floating and driving me crazy. I tried to weigh it down with extra slate but it just didnt work. I'm going to be exploring fishing weights this week.

img_1122179_4_712770eb79b7f486963f736fe3b6f18d.jpg

Fake plants put back in. I'm itching to get rid of these things. Can't wait!

img_1122179_5_efb4146845275b4c5c2e8b7355814d5a.jpg

And finished for the day.
img_1122179_6_71bcb4aad7abece243421e77bb486bea.jpg

img_1122179_7_e921839689c3dc6a5f81bc27068b88d9.jpg

The rainbows are all back to their full color. The yellows are even brighter than they were in the store. Yellow bodies with pretty bright orange fins. Gorgeous. I'm exceptionally happy I chose to go with rainbows as the center piece fish. IMO they are about as pretty as it gets in FW until you have cichlids or discus, which require special attention.

So the next step is going to be the light from Catalina Aquarium. I also have an upcoming move in the next month and a half so we'll see how that goes. Hopefully I can do all the under the cabinet stuff then.

Bought the PVC for my reactor today. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go after a piece of clear PVC for the main tube. Does anyone know if Lowes or Home Depot would carry something like that? Also is the standard PVC glue ok for fish? I want to double check that. I haven't seen any specific warnings but it makes me worry.

I see people trolling the thread but I'm not getting any feedback :puppydogeyes: I feel like I'm about to have to start answering questions three. (get it troll lingo? :roll:)

So, does anyone happen to have any feedback on the plant list I posted above? I'm really curious if there are any p.i.t.a. plants on there. Also, are their other options for foreground? I really like the micro sword but I'm open to suggestions. I don't like the DHG at all... too thin and pine needle like.

As for the equipment, is the 300w ETH heater going to really be enough to keep this tank at ~78-79 or should I do two 200w? The Pen-Plax 300w I have now is struggling slightly, but I think it might just suck. Also, is the Lifeguard Aquatics UV the way to go, or is there a better/easier/more effective product out there? What do you guys use?

Bought the PVC for my reactor today. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go after a piece of clear PVC for the main tube. Does anyone know if Lowes or Home Depot would carry something like that? Also is the standard PVC glue ok for fish? I want to double check that. I haven't seen any specific warnings but it makes me worry.

I see people trolling the thread but I'm not getting any feedback :puppydogeyes: I feel like I'm about to have to start answering questions three. (get it troll lingo? :roll:)

So, does anyone happen to have any feedback on the plant list I posted above? I'm really curious if there are any p.i.t.a. plants on there. Also, are their other options for foreground? I really like the micro sword but I'm open to suggestions. I don't like the DHG at all... too thin and pine needle like.

As for the equipment, is the 300w ETH heater going to really be enough to keep this tank at ~78-79 or should I do two 200w? The Pen-Plax 300w I have now is struggling slightly, but I think it might just suck. Also, is the Lifeguard Aquatics UV the way to go, or is there a better/easier/more effective product out there? What do you guys use?

I'm working with a new style CO2 reactor total cost in parts was about $20. If you head over to www.plantedtank.net you can see pictures in the DIY section under Cerges CO2 Reactor.

I'll read through your thread and update later with more thoughts.

Craig

Thanks, Craig.

I'm thinking about moving this over to that forum since it's more along the lines of planted tanks. I'm trying to make sure I do this right, and I want to avoid pitfalls by discussing it with others beforehand.

AA is great for beginners, but once you get past that, and aren't doing saltwater, I'm finding the activity lacking.

Lots of information over there. I have been an active and supporting member for several years now over there. Lots of great information even if you jsut stop by to read. I know I keep my journal updated more over there as I spend most of my time over there. I do frequent about 8-9 different aquarium sites I just don't have time to be active in all of them everyday.

There is alot of good information here aswell if you look around.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom