75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I figured it is time to start another build thread. My uncle is giving me a 75 gallon tank (for free). I am going to transfer my lights and pressurized co2 system over to the 75 gallon tank. The 75 will have a duel T5HO 39watt each and a reef compatable marineland LED. I just ordered a FX5 to be my filter (only $230). Now I am looking for a heater, I want a aqueon pro but I don't know how many Watts I should get (the room the tank will be in is usually between 68-72°F) what wattage would you recommend? Or should I have more than one heater and if so how many Watts each?

You can get two 200w heaters, or a single 300w.
Personally, I might go with dual 200w on opposite ends of the tank for even heating/distribution. Some of the older/morer experienced members might want to chime in here!

I have a 150 Watt heater in my 40 gallon tank (the tank I am scrapping for parts) could I use the 150 Watt heater and add a 200 Watt heater? Would that be enough Watts of heating power? (350 Watts)

ryan-peddle said:
Yeah that's plenty I have two 200 watt heaters in my 80 gallon and they work great barely ever come on just micro adjustments

Sweetness! I am sure I will have more questions along the way while setting up this tank :)

I just bought an Aqueon pro 200 Watt heater! Now all I have to get is more substrate, and build a new co2 reactor.
Right now I have some specialized plant substrate (it was from PETCO but they no longer sell it any more).
What substrate should I get?
And I also want some stocking ideas, I don't want any fish that will disturb my anglefish pair (while they breed). Any ideas?

With plants sand is a good option but if you like gravel go ahead I believe there is a product that helps with roots for gravel but I can't recall what it's called

ryan-peddle said:
I keep my pair with cardinals glowlights serpae rummy nose and a farlowella the serpaes may disturb but everything else is fine

Do you have any experience with breeding anglefish? If so how long does it take to raise the eggs to quarter size angles? And is a 75 gallon tank big enough to raise the angles to quarter size?

No I am just wetting my feet to but with raiseing cichlids it took about two months from dime to quarter size I would GUESS about 3-4 months

And a 75 will be fine but I take out mom and pop once the eggs are ready I don't know if they are like cichlids tho cause my momma cichlid carries the eggs in her mouth till they hatch I dont know if angels are the same cause they are a form of cichlid but I know a 75 will be fine

ryan-peddle said:
No I am just wetting my feet to but with raiseing cichlids it took about two months from dime to quarter size I would GUESS about 3-4 months

Thanks for the input! This will be my first time breeding any fish other than guppies lol. Should I start with some fish other than angles or are they a fairly easy to breed egg layers?

ryan-peddle said:
And a 75 will be fine but I take out mom and pop once the eggs are ready I don't know if they are like cichlids tho cause my momma cichlid carries the eggs in her mouth till they hatch I dont know if angels are the same cause they are a form of cichlid but I know a 75 will be fine

Anglefish actually protect and raise there eggs/ fry. They don't if they are new parents but they soon learn that that babies are not food and that they need to protect them. (At least that is what I have heard)

A Guy at my lfs gave me this idea:

He told me that I should use my 40 gallon tank (the one I am replacing with the 75) to add water volume to my tank. He said I should have the over flow flow to the 40 gallon tank (under the 75). Then he thinks I should have the intake on the filter hooked up to the 40 gallon then the output from the filter hooked up to the 75 gallon (a return pump). The only problem I see with this is that the fx5 is a gravity fed filter and the fx5 would have to sit right next to the 40 gallon. Could I get this idea to work?

fishfanatic said:
A Guy at my lfs gave me this idea:

He told me that I should use my 40 gallon tank (the one I am replacing with the 75) to add water volume to my tank. He said I should have the over flow flow to the 40 gallon tank (under the 75). Then he thinks I should have the intake on the filter hooked up to the 40 gallon then the output from the filter hooked up to the 75 gallon (a return pump). The only problem I see with this is that the fx5 is a gravity fed filter and the fx5 would have to sit right next to the 40 gallon. Could I get this idea to work?

Does that make any cents?

allaboutfish said:

Lol... I would be using the 40 gallon as a sump, but the 40 gallon would have nothing but water in it.

Does that help at all?

Back
Top Bottom