Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

75g Lighting Requirements?

I recently got a 75g tank that I'll be doing some aquascaping in. I'm going to have a low carpet plant on most of the aquarium, but one side with be planted with some various taller plants. I really don't know much at all about lighting and I was wondering what would give me medium-bright lighting. The tank is 48" long. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

To get most plants to carpet, you have to have high light. High light means co2. I'm going to say you'll need 3-4 54w T5HO bulbs over that tank to get what you're wanting.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
come get me tang police!

A high quality 2x54w fixture is plenty to do a carpet. The more lighting you add the more of a balancing act it will be, so it really depends on what you are willing to work with.

I've read that the dry start method is best to get a good carpet going, but I've not tried it myself.

The charts on here might help you, these are actual tested values

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Charts
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, those charts are a big help. A quick search priced it at anywhere from 119-150. Do you guys know of any place where I can get the most bang for my buck so to speak? Possibly even a DIY article?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
come get me tang police!

If you want to stay on the ultra cheap, go with a 2x54w oddysea fixture on ebay. Hard to beat that price, but then again, you get what you pay for. The reflectors are so-so, but those that have them say they work good and are worth the money. I've not tried them yet, but at half the cost of a standard fixture, it will be the next on my list.

48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Strip Hood Plant 6500K 108W | eBay

Note that the PAR chart (I think) is based on having a decent reflector so you can calculate your intensity a bit less than you would normally.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I almost wonder if it would be worth going with 48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Hood Freshwater Plant 216W New | eBay instead. It would cost the same as most 2 bulb fixtures but includes a little more products and features in addition to the obvious benefit of increasing or decreasing the lighting as necessary.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have never heard of the brand, but that would do the job. You will need CO2 if you run all those bulbs.

Tags
75g, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com