75g Lighting Requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roundar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got a 75g tank that I'll be doing some aquascaping in. I'm going to have a low carpet plant on most of the aquarium, but one side with be planted with some various taller plants. I really don't know much at all about lighting and I was wondering what would give me medium-bright lighting. The tank is 48" long. Thanks in advance for any advice!

To get most plants to carpet, you have to have high light. High light means co2. I'm going to say you'll need 3-4 54w T5HO bulbs over that tank to get what you're wanting.

A high quality 2x54w fixture is plenty to do a carpet. The more lighting you add the more of a balancing act it will be, so it really depends on what you are willing to work with.

I've read that the dry start method is best to get a good carpet going, but I've not tried it myself.

The charts on here might help you, these are actual tested values

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Charts

Thanks, those charts are a big help. A quick search priced it at anywhere from 119-150. Do you guys know of any place where I can get the most bang for my buck so to speak? Possibly even a DIY article?

If you want to stay on the ultra cheap, go with a 2x54w oddysea fixture on ebay. Hard to beat that price, but then again, you get what you pay for. The reflectors are so-so, but those that have them say they work good and are worth the money. I've not tried them yet, but at half the cost of a standard fixture, it will be the next on my list.

48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Strip Hood Plant 6500K 108W | eBay

Note that the PAR chart (I think) is based on having a decent reflector so you can calculate your intensity a bit less than you would normally.

I have never heard of the brand, but that would do the job. You will need CO2 if you run all those bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom