75g Planted Cory Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericbrookey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm considering building out my next tank as follows and need some advice on substrate and tank mates:

75 gallon Marineland glass tank
Plethora of Corys, BN Pleco, Bolivian Ram, undecided on other fish/inverts atm... advice?
Medium/high light with 36" Current usa planted+ LED
Driftwood and larger rock pieces for decent caves
Medium/high light plants and co2 injection
4 stage cannister with possible inline uv

1. If I use eco complete and then cap off with sand, how deep should the eco be and how much of a cap should I use?

2. What's a good heavier sand to use for the cap so it doesn't get sucked into the cannister during maintenance?

3. Do I plant first then cap or should I plant after the cap is in place?

4. May seem silly question, but how long does the eco complete provide nutrients? Does it get depleted after months, years and need to be replaced?

5. Are root tabs necessary with eco complete and Fourish dosing?

Thanks for any advice given. This will be my largest build yet and I want to do it right the first time so I have as little substrate disturbance as possible during maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If you are running high light you will likely need fertilizers. More than just a little bottle of flourish.

Also I tried a Eco complete and sand cap. In the end, it mixes Together. You need a lot of sand so when gravity sets in there is enough sand to stay on top.

Caleb

If you are running high light you will likely need fertilizers. More than just a little bottle of flourish.

I definitely plan to fertilize more than flourish but I am not sure yet if I will be at high light by itself but I think I will be close.

Also I tried a Eco complete and sand cap. In the end, it mixes Together. You need a lot of sand so when gravity sets in there is enough sand to stay on top.

What's alot of sand, 2 inches? Should I stick with ADA soil instead of eco?

Just to clarify, this will not be a walstad tank. I plan on regular water changes and filtration. I'm just trying to find a method where I don't have to vacuum the gravel/eco or sand. The reason I want to use medium grade sand is for the cory's. Please tell me if I'm off base on using eco with a cap and not vacuuming.

I would just pick one. Saved you the trouble. Since this is a Cory tank just go all sand and some root tabs? Mebbid has a DIY tab recipe on here. Very simple and equals out to around $0.02 per tab vs retail tabs. I use them myself and seen great growth.

Caleb

I would just pick one. Saved you the trouble. Since this is a Cory tank just go all sand and some root tabs? Mebbid has a DIY tab recipe on here. Very simple and equals out to around $0.02 per tab vs retail tabs. I use them myself and seen great growth.

Caleb
Ok that makes alot of sense. I guess there is no need for the eco if I can provide the plants needs cheaply with tabs. I just thought that maybe the plants will root better in eco.

Any suggestions on a heavier sand? What depth should I shoot for?

Thanks Caleb!

I can only imagine that with corys you'll get eco complete all over the sand.

Also, I think you'd be in solid medium light territory with that lighting, although it depends on how deep your tank is.

If you do go with a sand cap plant after the cap is put in.

Root tabs are necessary yes. Especially for plants like crypts or swords.

:lol: Caleb beat me to that.

Pool filter sand and play sand are common cheap sands.

Shoot for 2 inches in the front and slope it up even higher in the back. Up to maybe 4+ inches depending on the tank and the look you are going for.

Ok that makes alot of sense. I guess there is no need for the eco if I can provide the plants needs cheaply with tabs. I just thought that maybe the plants will root better in eco.

Any suggestions on a heavier sand? What depth should I shoot for?

Thanks Caleb!

I used black diamond blasting sand in my 75g. It's like $10 for a 50 pound bag at Tractor Supply. 2 bags should give you plenty of depth for them to root in.

Caleb

I can only imagine that with corys you'll get eco complete all over the sand.

Also, I think you'd be in solid medium light territory with that lighting, although it depends on how deep your tank is.

If you do go with a sand cap plant after the cap is put in.

Root tabs are necessary yes. Especially for plants like crypts or swords.
Thanks Fishperson!

I think the depth is 20" on this tank. It's pretty bright at full blast and sits low so I'm guessing par is decent around 14" -16". I should prob check. [emoji13]

Edit: Depth in InchesPAR Readings in Micromoles 12”36 18”28 24”21

Thanks Fishperson!

I think the depth is 20" on this tank. It's pretty bright at full blast and sits low so I'm guessing par is decent around 14" -16". I should prob check. [emoji13]

Edit: Depth in InchesPAR Readings in Micromoles 12”36 18”28 24”21

Ok. That puts you at around low-medium light, depending on who you ask.

I've read on TPT the classifications of light are:
Low 10-30
Med 30-80
High 80+
Sand is a good choice for Corys.
EcoComplete is inert and does not breakdown over time. Basically, it attracts and stores nutrients beneficial to plant growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've read on TPT the classifications of light are:
Low 10-30
Med 30-80
High 80+
Sand is a good choice for Corys.
EcoComplete is inert and does not breakdown over time. Basically, it attracts and stores nutrients beneficial to plant growth.

Cool that's where I want to be on this one. Don't think I will add any additional. Thanks for the confirmation.

I used black diamond blasting sand in my 75g. It's like $10 for a 50 pound bag at Tractor Supply. 2 bags should give you plenty of depth for them to root in.

Caleb
One of my local trusted LFS guys told me black Diamond is too sharp for cory's so I will probably just do play sand. Does this come in different colors or just standard beige?

One of my local trusted LFS guys told me black Diamond is too sharp for cory's so I will probably just do play sand. Does this come in different colors or just standard beige?

I have it in 2 tanks and never experienced this. I have only heard one case of another member here who had an issue like that.

I have loaches and other bottom feeders who love it to death.

Up to your decision :)

Caleb

I have it in 2 tanks and never experienced this. I have only heard one case of another member here who had an issue like that.

I have loaches and other bottom feeders who love it to death.

Up to your decision :)

Caleb
Interesting. Not sure what to make of it then. I've never been led astray by this guy before. Guess I will see what is readily available and cheaper! [emoji2]

I believe one factor in barbel health is water quality.

+1. I keep 5 albino Aeneus on Eco complete and have not experienced the alleged barbel erosion that many claim to experience. Water quality is the principle factor in barbel health it seems. They would enjoy sand a bit more though I believe. They like to root around and eco complete makes that a little harder.

+1. I keep 5 albino Aeneus on Eco complete and have not experienced the alleged barbel erosion that many claim to experience. Water quality is the principle factor in barbel health it seems. They would enjoy sand a bit more though I believe. They like to root around and eco complete makes that a little harder.
That's what I currently have in my tank and I do notice they are not able to sift it much but I don't think it has affected their barbs as far as I can tell. I want prime sifting conditions in the new tank so sand it is.

I believe one factor in barbel health is water quality.

I've read that unvacuumed substrate can also contribute to barbel erosion which could also be a factor in poor water quality so maybe they are related.

Back
Top Bottom