75g Planted Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You shouldn't. Algae outbreaks happen when there's higher concentrations of nutrients, if you're not dosing anything, theoretically you should see a decrease in algae.

If anything I might see signs of nutrient deficiencies in the leaves when I return from week long absences. I'm doing a 5x dose but gone for 7-10 days.
Regarding the nutrient levels, I've combated green spot algae (GSA) which sometimes occurs after increasing the lighting by doubling or tripling the phosphate levels. Yes, on paper it does not make sense but I've seen in happen on more than one occasion. I believe the additional phosphate encourages plant growth and they begin to outcompete the GSA (or any algae in general). Or it could be that GSA does not favor high phosphates. I would have to test the latter in a high tech plant-less tank.

I typically have various types of algae and worry little about it. I also tend to favor more algae eaters than a lot of people and a little cleaning here and there doesn't hurt. I figure outbreaks come and go and worry less about what is specifically causing them than I do about maintaining good water quality. I would suggest for most algae issues, cut down on feeding first, make sure to do weekly water changes (I usually do 10%, more only if needed) and clean/change filters/media regularly (typically monthly, but overstocking/feeding necessitates more frequent maintenance there).

I wouldn't worry about any major issues over the course of a week so long as you've done a couple good (20%) water changes within the 2-3 days prior to leaving and making sure it's clear to your tanksitter to only feed a certain amount and only at a certain frequency. I like frozen foods for that, you can cut the cubes to the proper size before you leave (Or use a whole one if it fits your stocking size) and tell whomever is feeding to only use 1 half/whole, etc... cube daily. You can also use a weekly pill container to pre-portion your food. This alone will typically be the biggest cause of algae and in certain species, overfeeding regularly can cause dropsy.

Just make sure your instructions are clear and concise and your tank should have a smooth week.

Last edited:
Just do a large water change when you get back. That way, you can sort of "reset" things and go back on schedule.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I feel much better about leaving my tank for a week than I did before!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I feel much better about leaving my tank for a week than I did before!

Boyfriend and I broke up the other day, updates will be put on hold until things are a bit more stable in the moving process.

Back
Top Bottom