75gal planted log (Pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspected I needed something. So would I just need to get one and position it on the left side? I've never used a powerhead before and am kind of unfamiliar with just how they are meant to be used. basicallly, where do you think is the best place to put one in my tank...or for that matter two if two would be needed.

I think 2 would be better IMO

I would put 1 on the left side and one larger on the right front to push most of the water to the left(so it can make a circular motion going towards the inlet) as the spraybar goes from back to front.

If you just went with 1 I would put it on the front right like I said above.

In SW you want chaotic flow and lots more, but in FW high tech planted good is still needed IMO. Many try to get a circular pattern going.

The reason I like koralias is b/c they have good flow in a wide pattern so its not pushing things all over kinda like a spray bar. You may want a more normal direct flowing PH in the front right, then a smaller koralia type on the left

hmm, well that makes sense, so basically one on the front right and one on the back left so it circles around? What if I move my spraybar to the far right and angle it so it's blowing towards the left side of the tank, would this make it so I'd only need one powerhead?

hmm, well that makes sense, so basically one on the front right and one on the back left so it circles around? What if I move my spraybar to the far right and angle it so it's blowing towards the left side of the tank, would this make it so I'd only need one powerhead?

Yeah, it just depends on how you want to do it, the stuff I mentioned above is with you leaving the inlet/outlet where they were. I have never used a spray bar and not sure i ever will as they are not very directional although they do have a wide flow. Some of this is how much space you want to give up also, as I would like to have my PH near the bottom inmy tank, but since I dont have much rood in my 55G due to its footprint, I choose to have the PH up top and blowing down.

2 is always better than 1 b/c yo can place things better to get a better flow. So it all depends on how you want to do it, as there are many ways to accomplish similar things.

I think a PH on the left down the front of the tank, then placing the spraybar vertical on the back right aiming at the inlet woud work

well, I think I may have figured out a way to modify the output of the filter so it blows more like a powerhead...just have to rig it up so it works with some of the leftover parts from my cascade.

Ok, here's my little mod.
filter002.jpg

Pulled that little piece out of the unused parts from my cascade. Had to do some cutting to get it to work, but now the flow is much more directional...but this creates a new problem...
filter001.jpg

If I point it down too far, it blows my plants around...if I point it over the plants, well then it's not blowing debris off the leaves. How does one get around this when using a powerhead

If I point it down too far, it blows my plants around...if I point it over the plants, well then it's not blowing debris off the leaves. How does one get around this when using a powerhead

That is exactly why I suggest a koralia PH. It has a "wide" flow, not as "directed" so it moves alot of water while not blowing things over as much compared to a directed outlet.

Either way, it will look strange to you till you get used to it, my plants move around quite a lot near the PH, but like I said its not like my filter outlets direct flow. At 1st I thought my Koralia #1 was too much or just right, but now I think a #2 would be better for me. Thats why i would suggest you to get at least a #2 if not a #3.

Like I said I have never used a spraybar, I have my 55G setup as follows:
Filter inlet low on left corner, filter outlet high left corner aiming at the front glass while making the water move the length of the front of the tank, then a PH in the right rear blowing down the back towards the inlet.

I picked up one of these, and it is great as I can aim the flow very easy in any direction:
Aquarium Plumbing: Directional U-Tube

I actually think if you use the spraybar vertically blowing accross the back it will be better as the flow is not so "directed" or strong. Like I described in my last post, then use a PH in the same corner as the inlet blowing accross the front

good suggestion, the vertical spraybar seems to work nicely to blow the water back towards the intake along the back wall, so this forms half of the votex, now I just need a powerhead on the left side to complete the circle

good suggestion, the vertical spraybar seems to work nicely to blow the water back towards the intake along the back wall, so this forms half of the votex, now I just need a powerhead on the left side to complete the circle

Exactly I think this is the best option/setup. Should work well.

BTW your angels look great!

I think I'll go with the powerhead you suggested as well. My girlfriend has been wanting an idea for a christmas gift around $40. hah

My riccia randomly started pearling tonight. It's hard to get a good shot of it but here's the best I have. You can see a few of the bubbles anyway

pearling004.jpg

Well it seems like my old nemesis, beard algae, has reared it's ugly head again, thankfully not as virulent as I've had it before. I've been reading several possible causes for this, including elevated phosphate levels, elevated iron levels, and low CO2. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to getting a new test kit yet, so I don't have any numbers for you guys. I've been using the EI dosing guide found here EI "light" for the less techical aspects of the Estimative index - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report for 60-80 gal tanks, and I'm injecting CO2 at ~ 4bps and diffusing it through a DIY PCV reactor. Again, I don't have my test kit yet so I can't give you a ppm on the CO2. Also, I have been deviating from the formula, dosing every other day instead of 3 days a week. Suggestion? Thought? Condolences? Anyway, here are some pictures just in case I misidentified my algae.

algae002.jpg

Turned flash on for this one so you can see more detail in the threads

algae003.jpg

no flash

algae004.jpg

extreme closeup

I don't believe that is BBA. I'm not exactly sure what it is unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah, after thinking about it some more, when I had BBA before it was very densely packed and had a very short soft texture to it...kind of like felt. This Stuff it about .75cm long, and is much looser and coarser. haha, I'm shocked Joy. Never seen you not know something. :p haha

I also just noticed this stuff only seems to grow where my LED moonlights are directly hitting a plant. Maybe that little bit of light is enough for the algae to photosynthesize at night, but not the right wavelength for plants so the algae has the advantage at this time? Just a thought from my observation. I'm going to try turning off my LED's...even though I love them. hah

How many hrs are your lights on for? If more than 8hrs, try 8hrs

You are doing 50%WC's right?

Back
Top Bottom