8g Fluval Flora Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been a little jealous with all these beautiful rimless tanks out there and I thought I'd give one a shot and since I broke my 5.5g trying to remove the rim on it(haha, whoops) and since I didn't want to break the bank on a tank I figured now is a good time to start and I picked up a Fluval Flora today. I'm a little unsure as to where to go with this tank so suggestions are more than welcome, I just picked up a couple random plants today to take up the empty space for now. I got some schist rock in there now and I like the placement of it but what do you guys think I should plant it with? Stock will be some kind of shrimp and probably a grow out tank for angel fry since mine have spawned every 2 weeks for the last two months. Suggestions on equipment too please! Okay, pics for now before I start rambling.

Attachments

• image-2213445049.jpg
    image-2213445049.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 291
  • image-2962229577.jpg
    image-2962229577.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 282
  • image-2033907256.jpg
    image-2033907256.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 371
  • image-1570178260.jpg
    image-1570178260.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 294
  • image-1563933191.jpg
    image-1563933191.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 328
Thanks. It is removable, its just colored styrofoam with a little glue. I may take it out eventually but I figured I'd leave it in for now because I don't think I'm delicate enough to remove it without cracking the foam so once its out its out for good for me. Any suggestions on plants? Lighting is a 13w PC

Looks good!! The background kinda messes with ya though... I like the rocks you picked but there getting lost with that background. Sorry just being honest!

EDIT: most pictures I see online have the background in place, are you sure it's removable? I see the ones in the UK don't have the background. Just figured I add this after looking through the Internet.

Last edited:
Looks good!! The background kinda messes with ya though... I like the rocks you picked but there getting lost with that background. Sorry just being honest!

EDIT: most pictures I see online have the background in place, are you sure it's removable? I see the ones in the UK don't have the background. Just figured I add this after looking through the Internet.

Don't be sorry! I feel the same way about the background drowning the rocks, and I think it covers up the plants a little too so I may switch it out for a solid color, what do you think about white? The background is removable I'm fairly sure, looks like there's just five 1" circles of glue which I'm pretty confident a razor could take care of.

Maybe java fern

I think with dry ferts and co2 I would like to try something a little different but thank you. I do really like java fern though, i have a narrow leaf that has done really well in my 20 long, its almost completely taken over my DW and the leaves reach the surface

Don't be sorry! I feel the same way about the background drowning the rocks, and I think it covers up the plants a little too so I may switch it out for a solid color, what do you think about white? The background is removable I'm fairly sure, looks like there's just five 1" circles of glue which I'm pretty confident a razor could take care of.

I like the frosted look. Had I seen this before I would have done thjs in my planted tank. http://youtu.be/L21MeGoMBNc

Do you have any idea where you want to go with the scape? Any particular style?

+1 to con, I use etched window film from home depot on the back of my tanks for the "frosted" look. I enjoy this look much more now then black, it really makes everything including the shapes you create pop. :)

Do you have any idea where you want to go with the scape? Any particular style?

+1 to con, I use etched window film from home depot on the back of my tanks for the "frosted" look. I enjoy this look much more now then black, it really makes everything including the shapes you create pop. :)

100% I kick myself do not looking into a little more but... It is what it is. But that look IMO is amazing!!

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll remove the background tonight or in a couple days, as far as plans for the tank goes I'm really not sure, I have all my other tanks with DE as the hard scape so with this one I would like to stick with rocks especially since schist like the ones I have are only $1/lb. the rest is just a blank slate, even the plants I have in now are subject to change haha, though I do like the hydro corymbosa kompact

I like the hygro too, however once it starts growing, the leaves will get a longer... I found them to be really sensitive as well. All mine melted during an ammonia spike... I like what you have now, but maybe move the stones forward a little? And switch one of the smaller ones for a larger one... Keep the stones an odd number though. :) again, looks really nice! :)

I like the hygro too, however once it starts growing, the leaves will get a longer... I found them to be really sensitive as well. All mine melted during an ammonia spike... I like what you have now, but maybe move the stones forward a little? And switch one of the smaller ones for a larger one... Keep the stones an odd number though. :) again, looks really nice! :)

Really? Even the ones that are supposed to be compact? I have the standard hydro corymbosa in my 75 and use it as the background plants and its been the easiest plant I have, even easier than the java fern. I was at the LFS when I posted last and I did pick up a slightly larger stone, still smaller than the biggest one though. The stone in the original pic to the far left was actually just a chip from the big one I had from chiseling it. Picked up some Fritz bio something-or-other to speed the cycling and I have some cycled material to put in the filter so I hope it's ready for when my fry hatch if not ill figure out something. Here's a new pic that's not all bubbly, I'll move the new stone to the left and take out the smallest one in a little while.

Attachments

• image-3865177295.jpg
    image-3865177295.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 183
Wonderful tank! I too broke my 5.5g trying to "de-rim" it :lol:

Isn't it awful?!! Haha I was so close too, I had like maybe 2 inches on silicone to go through then the top would have been off, instead of being an incredibly cheap rimless tank I almost got an incredibly expensive emergency room visit hahah.

Question: how do you guys heat your tanks? I'll be off to go look for a nano heater soon but would like opinions. I need it adjustable or at least a reliable and stable 79 degrees

Isn't it awful?!! Haha I was so close too, I had like maybe 2 inches on silicone to go through then the top would have been off, instead of being an incredibly cheap rimless tank I almost got an incredibly expensive emergency room visit hahah.

Question: how do you guys heat your tanks? I'll be off to go look for a nano heater soon but would like opinions. I need it adjustable or at least a reliable and stable 79 degrees

I think Cobalt makes a nano heater, adjustable.

I just got the hydor 25 watt for my 5 gallon. So far so good...
img_2458787_0_06053abf34c001c2564b3764a0ded3b6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom