90 gallon advice lighting, substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chris7495 said:
I have been looking up substrates, anyone use Caribsea Tahitian, Eco-complete, or sachem fluorite.

Ok we will start with substrate, If you want black Eco-complete is awesome. The longer you have it the better it becomes, the best way to use it is to take a noodle strainer and separate the corse and the sand. The sand will go on bottom and the corse will go on top. Do NOT use an under gravel filter, nor should you ever gravel vac this or any plant substrate.
Next for the lights, t5 is a good light you will want 4 bulbs for that tank 2-6700to7600k bulbs one red and maybe. Blue for color, that one is preference, or two reds.
If you want to get away from t5s there are LEDs and metal halides. If ou go led you want to make sure they are for plant growth, not reef. They cast more but they are cooler and use less electric. If you decide MH you want to make sure you can get the spectrum bulb you want 7600k or 8000k at max I would only go with 2-150watt or 2-75 watt bulbs, probably the latter. Personally I love MH bulbs

Attachments

• image-3087964958.jpg
    image-3087964958.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 42
I've used Flourite and Eco Complete and I prefer Eco Complete. The dark color shows off the fish and plants far more than lighter substrates and it seems easier to plant in than Flourite which I had to fight to keep some things rooted in. Any plant substrate you like will work for growing plants, though. Just get the one you like the look of. :)

image-993820159.jpg

This is my silt sifting station. I went and got enough glacial silt to put 1.5 inches under my 2.5 inches of Eco complete. One of the many benefits of living in alaska

Here is an update, sorry pics don't look all that great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom