90 gallon build...with water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky74

Aquarium Advice Freak
It begins with the epic failure of the 75 gallon(planted for a week):

imag0597.jpg

imag0598.jpg

I scoured craigslist for a tank and found a 90 gal with a stand and canopy plus an HOB and canister filter needing a motor.
imag0599.jpg

First thing(after cleaning tank of course) was to tear apart my Odyssea fixture, which should have been easy, but they stripped one screw on each end during assembly. So I had to go caveman on the fixture...Thankfully it's housed in plastic.

I had some double bright LED's from the 55 so I figured I'd mount them to help out since the tank is quite tall compared to the 55/75. Plus I can simulate(poorly) sunrise/sunset. Not the prettiest job, but it works. I am waiting on delivery of a fan to help keep canopy cool, as I do notice a slight increase in tank temperature when lights are on full blast. Also planning on making the entire inside of the canopy reflective in the future. I'll see how plants do first.
canopy.jpg

Time to put the substrate/decorations/driftwood in and put on the black background. Originally it was Floramax on the bottom with Flourite black sand on top, but due to the 75 gallon failure it became mixed during tear down and I decided I liked it mixed anyway. The few surviving plants that made it through the tsunami and harsh relocation were yet again relocated....
imag0634.jpg

Now time for the real planting, though I am missing one bunch of giant hairgrass. There are also 3 chilensis plants that I cut back which should come back quickly on the right side. Moved 2 canister filters and 2 HOB's from 55 gallon which was acting as a relief shelter for victims of the 75 gallon disaster. Also filled a large media bag with gravel from 55 for good measure. Introduced the fish to their new home, which hopefully remains a liquid environment for more than a week.
imag0014.jpg

showimage.php
imag0030.jpg

I have an overflow box and may eventually add the 55 gallon as a sump, mainly to make water changes easier and to get all the equipment in the basement....

For the time being, it's nice just to enjoy a "finished" aquarium for a little while.

Yay! Glad you have everything sorted out somewhat! I can't imagine the stress of having a big tank like that break. I never worried about things like that happening to my tanks until I set up my 50 gal(biggest tank I've ever had) but now I think about it all of the time. I pray the day never comes...I think I'd cry!

So far so good...Plants started to pearl on the 3rd day. I suppose it takes them time to acclimate. Now after a few hours of light they are bubbling away.

I'm running lights from 11am-9pm. With Co2 on at 10:30am and off at 8:30pm. I may split photo period if algae becomes an issue.

I'm doing 50% WC's and redosing 1x per week and adding trace/iron 1x in between.

Added some more plants....

imag0061.jpg

Stuffed some Java Moss in the center piece of driftwood and also stuffed some in the substrate underneath the wood. Hopefully it will take hold....

Have a few more plants coming to fill in the back and some dwarf chain sword to put around the moss ball.

Then it's time to contemplate the sump......

Plants seem to have taken hold well. The anacharis is growing like crazy and I have had to trim it back several times. The giant hairgrass has spread out nicely in the back and once it grows a little taller should cover the back nicely...

imag0086.jpg

Back
Top Bottom