Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

92g corner tank journal - updated 3-25 **dialup warning**

Well I finally did it. Went out and picked up the new tank today.
I got it sitting in my dinning room while I wait to have a rug put in the living room.
Just filled it up.......so far so good.......no leaks!
But I'm not exactly crazy about how sturdy the stand looks so I'm beefin up the three corners.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
I would also ad support to the middle post. It porbably is holding a good deal of wheight.

"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to ringfinger
Adding some support is never a bad thing. Just sit for a moment and imagine the events that would unfold if the stand were to collapse for whatever reason. Mmmmm fun.

Looks like a fun size tank to work with! Keep us updated with pictures as you stock and aquascape. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya I would like to beef up that front support.....but I'm terrible at woodworking and whatever I would do to that particular support would need to be strickly framing.....i suck at finish work.
Cuz of how the tank is built.
Speaking of how it's built, it is most probably just fine the way it is, I mean, its a brand new stand made just for that tank by allglass, BUT......to me it seems kinda funny the way they built it.
All the weight seems to be on the staples holding it together instead of using the wood to hold the weight.

But ya it's gonna be fun to scape this.
I want to build alot of caves and such.
Right up the back of the tank with lots of teers for plants and stuff.
What would be a good base to build off of.......instead of just using rock from the ground up.
I'd like to lighten the load with some kind of filler. (for the back corner) Something that won't be seen, just a base for the caves and other decor.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for silicone to cure?
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm often surprised by the construction quality of tank stands that I see at the LFS's. I suppose they work okay the way they're built, but it just seems surprising that more of them don't fall apart considering the hundreds of pounds of weigth they're supposed to support. I bought a cheapo bookshelf myself, and added some additional wood (pine and oak) pieces to make it more sturdy...and that was for only 25 gallons.

For that middle-front post in your stand...maybe you could get an appropriately long/tall 2"x4" or 1"x4" and put it behind the middle piece, so that it's providing support without ruining the aesthetics of the entire piece.

Anyway, your aquascaping idea sounds like a great project. If you're looking for lightweight items, then here are some acrylic risers that might fit your needs.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=356&

Most DIY caves seem to be made using PVC pipe (usually white) or ABS pipe (usually black)...sometimes with gravel/sand/slate attached to the outside to look less pipe-ish. If you need an adhesive to use, then GE 100% Silicone I Sealant (Window & Door) works well and is much cheaper than the Aquarium-specific stuff sold at LFS's/online. Whatever you use, just make sure it doesn't contain any anti-mildew/mold/fungus additives...as those aren't safe for fish.

Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun!

6g Marineland Eclipse (8w T-5):
- anacharis, asian ambulia, java moss
- white cloud mountain minnows (10 = 6-7 inches total)
noncentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Japola44
go to the DIY forum. There are a lot of pages about people who use styrofoam. It would proably work for your tank. I don't know much about it except that it often looks very good.
"it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live, as we dream--alone..." The Heart of Darkness
Japola44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is going to be a beautiful tank!
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noncentric
For that middle-front post in your stand...maybe you could get an appropriately long/tall 2"x4" or 1"x4" and put it behind the middle piece, so that it's providing support without ruining the aesthetics of the entire piece.
If you're looking for lightweight items, then here are some acrylic risers that might fit your needs.
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=356&

Most DIY caves seem to be made using PVC pipe (usually white) or ABS pipe (usually black)...sometimes with gravel/sand/slate attached to the outside to look less pipe-ish. If you need an adhesive to use, then GE 100% Silicone I Sealant (Window & Door) works well and is much cheaper than the Aquarium-specific stuff sold at LFS's/online. Whatever you use, just make sure it doesn't contain any anti-mildew/mold/fungus additives...as those aren't safe for fish.

Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun!
Well thanks noncentric, for all that research!
As for the front support post.........can't put it behind....there is nothing in back to fasten it to. Whatever I do needs to be done to the front of that post. So at this point I am leaving it as is. (Reluctantly)

Those acrylic risers that you link to are pretty cheap and seem like they would do the job.......my only concern is if they would hold the weight of the rest of the structure. There will be alot of sand and rocks on top of them. (Have you done business with that company before?)

Yes 100% silicone works great and it is cheap compared to the little tubes you get at the pet store. I've used it before (years ago) and just couldn't remember how long it should be left to cure before ya add water.

Japola44---- I was checkin that forum out last night .....lots of good info!
I would have never thought of styrofoam. I think though......that it would compress under the weight I would be putting on top of it.

Glenc-------- I hope your right
Old 04-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK guys,

Below is a quick sketch of how I'd like to build up the back corner of the tank.
As you can see I'm not quite an artist

Check out the Filter outlet diagram.....I was thinking about piping the return down the back corner and out through a cave opening located about a 1.5 feet from the front glass.

I figure this is a good way to slow the current and lessen the currents impact on the taller plants.

My question is, can anyone think of any filtration problems that might cause.

I'll be using 2 Eheim 2215's for this tank.

Thx and......feel free to goof on my drawing.
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

As far as the front post goes, you would fasten support to the back, making a tee. As far as the filter goes, where are you planning to put the intake? If you are putting it on carpet, make sure you keep it away from the tackless strip used to hold the carpet. Otherwise it will not sit flat on the floor, and the stand will be stressed. Corner tanks are kind of neat, but hard to work on and hard to light.

Tags
corner, corner tank, journal, tan, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com