A bit of controversy with planting Anubias/Java Ferns -- The right way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-Alex24-

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 days ago I bought one anubias and 2 java fern. For the anubias I good a good spot on the sink wood and fore one of the java fern but the other one had no space (on the drift wood/rocks). I've heard many routers that you plant anubias and java fern on drift wood and rocks only. But the manager's assistant told me that it is perfectly fine to stick them into the gravel. So where really should I put the java fern?

P.S. Which way do anubias grow - end of the stem or the cutoff part?

Both Java Fern and Anubias should be tied to driftwood or stone. They can be wedged in between some rock crevice, too. The manager's assistant probably said that because these plants are very hardy and can live for a while planted in gravel. But since they both feed through the water column (not roots), they will start to die if left buried like that. They grow from their rhizome mostly (like here). Once in a while, however, Java Fern will create new plantlets from its leaves. They start off as black spores and then they develop tiny leaves and grow to become new plants.

I have also read that they can be "planted" as long as the rhizome isn't covered. I have a few that are planted in the gravel, but I am always sure to leave at least 1/2 cm or so of visible roots below the rhizome. Is this okay or will this limit their success?

I have also read that they can be "planted" as long as the rhizome isn't covered. I have a few that are planted in the gravel, but I am always sure to leave at least 1/2 cm or so of visible roots below the rhizome. Is this okay or will this limit their success?

I think that's fine. As long as they're not fully buried.

My java fern had small plantlets on the leaves. I removed them when about 1" and tied them with fishing line to a small piece of slate ( about 1" x 1"). I then just left it in my QT for a month. The roots have now stuck to the slate and I have removed the fishing line and dropped the slate piece into the main tank. I sprinkled just a little substrate on the slate to disguise it slightly and it looks like it's planted. The rhizome is not covered at all and the roots have found the substrate. Could be done with a newly purchased plant if you have nowhere else to tie it.

Ok but what does rhizome mean?

C2B602DA8C738FB11E51AFA3A212F22F_full.jpg
(not my pic)

The roots extending downwards from the rhizome can go into the substrate, but the horizontal rhizome needs to be out and exposed to light.

Great

How fast do Anubis really grow

Very slowly -- they're typically considered one of the slowest growing aquarium plants. Depending on factors like your lighting, nutrients, carbon/co2 you can expect a new leaf every few weeks all the way down to every few months.

Oh. But here are my specs. Weak marineland led light (wattage unknown), plant growth food (5 ml per week), no co2. But in future I am planing to get some (3 or 2) clip on lights. But my mom is agains that because she thinks that the house will stink like a marsh.

PS I lived in Latvia (I know how a marsh smells)

PPS I clean my aquariums 1 time per week.

Back
Top Bottom