A different kind of planted aqaurium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Begle1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It may just be sacrilegious to all of you, but for a science project I need to grow algae. I am planning on growing as much of it as possible as fast as possible as I am going to make it into oil eventually, but unfortunately I can't find anybody who has ever actually tried to grow algae before, and so nobody I can find has any advice.

Do any of you have any ideas? The algae is specifically chrysophyta, or golden algae, which is more related to diatoms than anything else. I am thinking that as much light as possible, with a good bit of carbon dioxide, in a large, shallow aquarium. I think that if you know what to do to avoid algae, and I can do the opposite, I can grow it.

Thanks for any help, I know it's an odd request.

On another thread, someone was talking about brown algae and how it grows best in low light. Remember--green algae does best in light due to the chloroplast. Brown or golden algae will not have chloroplast, and will not need much light.
Other than that, I don't know what to say. Good luck!

High nitrate levels,high phosphate levels, high silicate levels and relatively low light levels are pretty much guaranteed to grow your golden algae for you!!

Not *too* much CO2. Raising CO2 levels to around the dangerous level for fish often curbs algae "problems," so it's prob. not what you're looking for. But, a slow stream of bubbles would certainly help.

If you need green algae take a container, leave it under a blazing hot sun, and pour in a whole bottle of Flourish Excel! :wink:

Boy, it seems like everyone knows how to grow the stuff! I agree that lower light is going to be key to keep the green algae out of the picture. Good luck with your project, and if you do make oil in the end, let us know - that is too cool!

Back
Top Bottom