A Few Moss Wall Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have a crazy idea. I am thinking about building a moss wall in one of my tanks to hide so in tank filtration. Because of my 7 days a week workweek I do not have the time to maintain my tanks a whole lot. Therefore I need something that isnt going to take over the tank completely.
Java moss takes over too much. I would like something that instead of growing like mad in all directikns at all lenghts something that stays shorter. Say 1-3 inches long and spreads. I have seen some cool moss setups but I dont know what species I need. I like koss that looks fuzzy like a moss ball or dwarf hair grass. Short and fuzzy lol what am I looking for?
Low light no co2 and no ferts. Something that just grows like java moss but not as wild.
Thanks and God bless!

You could try flame moss. It grows upward and not sideways so it should stay close to the wall. Pretty low maintenance.

You could try flame moss. It grows upward and not sideways so it should stay close to the wall. Pretty low maintenance.

Cool thanks! What do yall usually use to anchor the moss? Is it just any plastic screen?

Cool thanks! What do yall usually use to anchor the moss? Is it just any plastic screen?

Yes. Either the stuff you find in the craft store or something equivalent to the mesh size of gutter guard. GG is only 6" wide unfortunately. Something dark or black. Fishing line works well.

Ok thanks. Hopefully I will find tje right stuff!

You can also spread out a marimo moss ball and it will spread like normal moss. There are moss wall mats on sale online. There are moss wall kits as well.

I have a ten gallon tank with danios and corry catfish, would the flame moss be a good choice for a short plant, I do not have any extra stuff in my tank currently besides a filter and heater.

Well flame moss grows more upward. It depends on what you would call "short". What is the max height of the plant you are willing to have?

heads up

Also beware that fish like to wiggle behind a wall, and if it is right up against the glass, they can freek out and get stuck back there and stress nearly or to death. I used a couple rocks at the bottom of mine to keep it away from the glass and a couple suction cups towards the top so it couldn't get stuck up against the glass like in the upper 1/3 line center and towards the top corners. I didn't have a back ground on it when it was in my main tank since the tank was the middle divider between two rooms.

A couple times before I did that a Blackshirt and a Cardinal got stuck back there and were nearly colorless from the stress of not being able to figure out how to get out, breathing like they were hyperventilating.

Other wise the fish liked hiding back there and the Amano Shrimp loved cleaning it.

Also I used the single panel not the sandwich version, it lasted about a year, but I moved it frequently and when I changed it to the tank with a background on it, the back didn't get really any light and it suffered and started to look shabby so I took it out and dropped it into my extra plant bucket.

Also just make sure you tie on little bits in a zillion places, as the string the thread through all around, allows it to snag the thread and loose a large section of moss :facepalm:

(Thanks for replying) The height is not really an issue I was just looking for something that would look good in my tank and I heard plants help keep the water clearImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393966236.494093.jpg

Yeah they do and help absorb waste materials. Also live plants give a tank a more "real" look to the tank.

Thanks yall! I plan on trying to make it so tne fish cannkt get behind it! I am stuck on what moss I want though! The marimo ball would look cool I think but flame moss does too... this is a low light tank. Which will look better amd fill in better?

I also have a question kinda completely off topic but have you heard of a glofish being really abnormally fat and what is wrong with it?

Flame moss and marimo are both low light. In fact all mosses are low light. Main difference is flame moss grows more out then side to side. Marimo grows into more of a carpet. But marimo spreads extremely slowly.

Back
Top Bottom