A good Co2 regulator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon planted tank that has been running nicely since February, but my sad attempts at DIY Co2 have yielded not so satisfying results. I have decided to switch to pressure C02 and I have a bubble counter, diffuser, and a filled 5# tank.

I need some advice on a regulator. My husband brews beer, but I'm thinking the regulators for kegging might not work and I just keep getting myself confused trying to research the matter.

What do you all recommend? Would a beer regulator work and just replace the barb adapter to fit air lines? Should I get one with a solenoid? Does it matter much for an aquarium if the pressure can be controlled or not?

I need to stay under $100.

Thanks all.

Under $100... Look for a Milwaukee. You could also check the Classifies forum here at AA, or search Craigslist, for a used one.

Yes, you can use any regulator for CO2 that you have access to as long as you can adjust the out pressure between 10 and 30 PSI, depending on your method of diffusion.
A solenoid is very handy, it allows you to put it on a timer. Is it totally necessary? No, but it saves a lot of hassle.

Stefernini said:
Thanks, I'll go check some out.

Please let us know which regulator you decide to get and how the set-up goes. I really do recommend one with a solenoid but they can always be added later. Hope you find a good deal.

If you already have a pressure regulator, than you can just buy a post body kit (sometimes sold on PT.net as reasonable prices) that will come with solenoid, bubble counter, and needle valve. If you have a flow regulator, than you will need to buy a new regulator.

If you don't know what you have available, you can post a picture of it here and see if we might know which it is.

Post body kits can be very easy to do, if you are really ready to do this i would check out barrreport. they have great stuff on planted tanks as well as the dos and don'ts about co2

I would personally save up a few more hundred before you buy. The worst problem in our planted tank can come from Co2 and if you buy cheap something could happened and you lose all your fish or continue to grow alga month after month.

Here is a link to a post body build i did awhile back. it will give you a good ideal on what you will need. Hope this helps.

Matheson Dual Stage 3810-540 Postbody Build - Aquarium Plants

I literally only have the tank, i don't have any pressure gauges of any kind. I was hoping for just a simple gauge with the tank pressure and the line pressure on it.

I really don't want to wait, I've got a lot of algae and my plants are suffering.

The solenoid seems very convenient, but won't a simple beer regulator with the two pressure gauges on it work? I would have to swap out the barb for one that fits air line tubing, but I'm thinking it would work.

Avoiding gassing my fish is extremely important, but I want to keep it simple at the same time.

You need a needle valve. Strictly speaking, you can do without a solenoid or bubble counter (or DIY the latter).

As far as regulator type, just make sure you have one of these:
T5741_large.jpg

And not one of these:

sentinel-co2-regulator-co2-reg.jpg

As previously state, the Milwaukee regulator will run you ~$90 shipped.

I decided to go with Milwaukee. I finally! Got my regulator. Anyone else see a problem with the right gauge?

ForumRunner_20120804_122705.jpg

I can't get a hold of customer service at all and I'm not sure it's worth the wait (they use the postal service), can it be used with that gauge not working since I mostly need to watch the bubble counter anyway?

The right gauge really only tells you how much CO2 is left in the tank. Bubble counting(adjusting flow with the needle valve) is more important.

--Adeeb

Last edited:
Can u use just regular aquarium airline tubing from regulator to diffuser using CO2?

mohican said:
Can u use just regular aquarium airline tubing from regulator to diffuser using CO2?

Yes, for a while. Eventually it will break down, but I heard it will take a year or so for that to happen.

Yes, it eventually gets rigid and cracks. CO2 is pretty corrosive. Regular silicon co2 tubing also leeches some CO2, though it is probably not enough to worry about.

There is CO2 safe tubing out there. It might be worth picking some up. I have some that is probably 8 years old and it is still soft and functioning.

adeebm said:
The right gauge really only tells you how much CO2 is left in the tank. Bubble counting(adjusting flow with the needle valve) is more important.

--Adeeb

The right does that? I thought the left one did. Maybe it really doesn't matter then that it doesn't work. The stupid needle was installed on the wrong side of the pin.

The left side shows the high side pressure. It kind of shows how much is left in the tank, but it is not a linear decline in pressure that you will see. Once the tank starts to go empty it will drop rather quickly over a few days under normal operation.

Last edited:
aqua_chem said:
As long as you have any liquid co2 in the tank, the tank pressure gauge will read about 900 psi.

Indeed. I suppose that's an easier way to explain it :)

I forgot to give you an update. I ended up returning the Milwaukee. Not only was the one gauge not usable but it wouldn't keep steady pressure. I ended up buying an aquatech one that has been great. My tank is finally balancing out and I'm seeing some great plant growth!

Back
Top Bottom