a how to on DIY lighting. BIG post, lots of pics UDATED!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i am sure this has been done but i thought i would just make a little thread on what i did and how much it all costs. ok so here we go...

i started with a trip to my good old trusty home depot. i purchased 2 dual t-8 light ballast for 17 dollars each. these ballast said they were rated up to 24" t-8 but after buying them and installing everything i found out they were actually only rated for 15" t-8 bulbs and 24" t-12 bulbs... which was a real **** off but life goes on lol. so i started again. i went to an electrical supply store and found out my options. the guy there said i could either run 2 ballast, each one powered 2 lights up to 36" long which costs $25 each.... i said no thanks. my next option was 1 ballast that powered 4 t-8 lights rated for up to 36" aswell for only $30... i said yes please lol. so i bought this and 8 end caps for the ballast which were .85 cents each. i had some spare wire at home which i then used to wire into my endcaps. they do not supply u with enough wire to attach them to the end caps. i merreted and taped all my wires so there was no chance of fire hazzard. once i was done i was ready to mount the end caps.

i mounted the end caps simply by attaching the end caps to the bulb like u would when putting a bulb into a fixture and then marked it on the wood that i was screwing it to. i then screwed the other ones by the same method by evenly spacing them out by eye (not to technical but worked fine) once i had them all marked on the wood i screwed them down. did a test fit for each one with a bulb to make sure everything was good to go.

the box.... i made my box the outside measurement of the plastic on my tank then add 1 1/2 " (3/4" wood times 2 = 1 1/2. cause i wanted inside measurement) so mine was 24 1/2" top peice then 2 side peices which i made 5 inches ( 3 inches above the tank then the other 2 inches went down the side to the bottom of the plastic trim) i then made the front side peices which were 26" (24 1/2 plus the 1 1/2 for the thickness of the wood) and 3 inches wide so the whole light is actually resting on the side peices and that is what is keeping it on the tank. the bulbs are 1" diameter and the end caps are 1 1/4 inches so technically u could make the fixture as low as 1 1/2 if u wanted low sleek look but i wanted room to play with.

ok i think that covers the basics of it. so here is a cost tally...
1 4X 24" t8 ballast = $30
t-8 end caps = .85 x 8 = $6.80
cut off wood at home depot = 6 dollars (i got it for free but this is what u would normally pay)
small spool of wire = $4(again i got this for free but this is what it would cost)
bulbs = up to you. as cheap as 4 dollars each at home depot and as much as 15 each from pet store.
my bulbs cost more than the whole light fixture lol
grand total =46.80 plus bulbs.
i figure that isnt to bad if u consider this will bring u up to 5.64 watts per gallon on a 20 gallon tank. 80 watts old way 113 watts new way. plus this ballast i bought is good for up to 36" so this can be used on larger tanks aswell just build a hood to fit.
i have some pictures right now and will update as i go. i havent installed me new ballast yet becasue i am wating to get it. but i can cover most of it. i hope this helps at least one person on here lol.

this is my light hood
img_611961_0_5f7fba88af26aebd9dd3b663f8cdce84.jpg

this is how u mark where to mount the end caps
img_611961_1_53c1995c3b592aac252984973087b80f.jpg

this is what i mean by the 2 inch drop on the side which i made to long lol
img_611961_2_1aa2f64c205954e652044e55c994bca8.jpg

what the lights look like on my tank
img_611961_3_26a39dd7e44b9512f7b9f06ad705ad82.jpg

how to run the jumps on the end caps for the yellow wires. inside to inside outside to outside pretty basic but i still managed to do it wronge lol the second one should have been in the first hole.
img_611961_4_a2b2a4a97d442995253f63646f21a6ae.jpg

with bulbs
img_611961_5_40c2234dacbd7a898da7f07f6c13b0be.jpg

without bulbs
img_611961_6_5bc34882577c4e2aa1d30bef569d1db3.jpg

that is all i have untill i get my new ballast but i will post detailed pics of how to wire it for all those people who arnt technically inclined lol.

ya i like the drop aswell but i only wanted it to drop down to the bottom of the plastic lip i dont like the fact that it goes down to the glass.

Nice Jeans. I guess you used your feet to prop up the fixture. I recently made a similar one for two pc's. Looks cool, good job.

Brian

Macrosill said:
Nice Jeans. I guess you used your feet to prop up the fixture. I recently made a similar one for two pc's. Looks cool, good job.

Brian

thanks lol for the jean comment. how did u make one for pc lights? did u buy a retrofit kit? i looked everywhere for pc fixtures in places liek home depot and rona but couldnt find one. i like the t-8 becasue i can expand them up to 36" and i am getting more light than if i went pc.

Hey I'v got some skateboard poasters behind my tank too, I'm soo happy its spring now.
back to fish, it looks good. Too get som more bang for your buck, you should put some tin foil underneath the lights, I used a glue gun to keep it in place. slso why don't you just use a hand saw to cut off the extra half inchover the sides? and also try sanding the edges, to make them rounded, makes it much nicer to touch when you take it off and it looks better.
HTH
sean

I would also paint or urethane it, to keep the wood from getting damp and warping.

Looks nice tho. I love DIY

If a reflector is too much a PITA, painting the inside white will help. Very good thread -- look forward to updates.

mr funktastic said:
thanks lol for the jean comment. how did u make one for pc lights? did u buy a retrofit kit? i looked everywhere for pc fixtures in places liek home depot and rona but couldnt find one. i like the t-8 becasue i can expand them up to 36" and i am getting more light than if i went pc.

you won't find any appropriate PC fixtures at a retail store. try www.ahsupply.com

and remember, PC's produce more light per watt than NO.
100w of NO bulbs isn't as much light as 100w of PC bulbs. add a good PC reflector and you'd REALLY have a lot more light.

Plus I'm pretty sure you could have fit more raw wattage of PC tubes in there, but the important thing is you're happy and it works.

thanks for all the feed back. i am going to bend a peice of polished something to act as a reflector. and also i did plan on painting it. i gues sanding the edges would be a good idea to. i new pc was more powerful but i like the selection u have for t-8 bulbs. plus i could easily fit another bulb in my hood if i really wanted but i am already over 5 watts per gallon lol. i am making a plexiglass cover to go over the top of the tank. i will vut it to fit ecactly on the inside lip and then a small cutout for my filter, heater and co2 line. that will keep all the moisture away from my lights.
Too get som more bang for your buck, you should put some tin foil underneath the lights, I used a glue gun to keep it in place.
i have heard that tinfoil actually absorbs more light than it reflects, is that true? i was thinking tinfoil tape as a last resort or i can use the plexiglass bender at my dads work to bend a peice of plexi mirror. that ought to be more than enough reflection lol. i will be getting the ballast tonight and wireing it all up so there will be an update tongiht.

lol i would say so and plus how much more of a reflection can u get than mirror?
EDIT:
alright so i got my new balast today and i am very very happy. it is made to power 2, 3 or 4 t-8 lights. i am currently running 3 bulbs becasue one crapped out on me lol (the cheapy one from home depot thankfully) the wiring was way easier than i imagined becasue they supplied me with enough wire. i still need to do a few finishing touches like put a peice of metal underneath the ballast for safety reasons and i need to staple down the excess wire. here are the rest of the pics so people know whats going on...
my new ballast
img_612807_0_2174c7d446c3854fe603770f5e0ae437.jpg

how to wire up the blue and red lol just plug 1 into each cap. blue side by side and red side by side
img_612807_1_1430d974f2f3cc86fa16b16af40d84e3.jpg

how to wire up the yellow(look at the picture i put before about jumping the wires) u just do the same as the red and blue but u only have 2 yellows so u do the jump then plug 1 yellow into 1 of the first 2 then 1 yellow into 1 of the second to.
img_612807_2_c45c6fc4376022a089e29d9a2036cd72.jpg

new bulbs. 2 are life glo2 bulbs and 1 is power glo. the purple one is power glo if u didnt figure that out lol.
img_612807_3_c458c5edf846a1879451812713dbac3c.jpg

and here is the tank now
img_612807_4_349b38cda61cf6d975a8acc83deeeb7f.jpg

i hope this covers everything. please feel free to ask any questions u might have about anything to do with this or my tank. i hope i covered everything.

can anyone reccomend some good high light plants i could try out with this new set up? i have all low light plants right now and they are doing well si i though i would try my hand at something like a red plant that involes high light. thanks again

Your tank looks great! If you don't already have a complete test kit, go out and get one. The AP(American Pharacuticals) kit is the best one at a decent price. You will have to start a regular dosing routine now and test regularly as you will deplete ferts alot quicker with high light. The more plants you add, the quicker your ferts will go. I toasted a very healthy, happy plant in just over a week. I starved it to death. No NO3, not enough CO2. Once it started to go, I couldn't get it to come back. The folks on this forum will help get you through, like they have for me. I love my high light tank. In the end you will have a beautiful tank that is more like a piece of artwork, kinda like a living picture, if you are patient and determind enough. P.m. me your address. Got some stuff for you to try.

why dont you get a ground cover?
I think ground cover plants really put the planted tank together. Glosso, and Marsilea quadrifolia might be some kinds to consider.

i really want a ground cover and i hope that glenc has some for me :) lol. i have been testing my nitrates every night to see what they are at and so for never below 5, it is usually between 5 and 10. i have the ap master test kit with amonnia, nitrAte, nitrIte, high and low ph. i need to buy the KH test kit to figure out my co2 levels. i might be buying the regulator that sirlunchbox has for sale so i can go pressurized. i am very happy with my tank right now and have already noticed a change in some of the plants. mainly the hygo polysperma that is normally green is starting to go red lol. thanks for all the help so far and glen u will be getting a pm from me soon.

check out beveragefactory.com
they have really cheap regulators that are made for beer kegs and soda fountains, but no solenoid vavle. Thats what i got for my new 50gal...then again u do live in canada it might be expensive to ship there...

its always expensive to ship here lol. i have actually been to that site before and looked around and the prices are great but its not worth it after shipping. i am buying sirlunchboxs system for 90 bucks for the regulator with shipping i hope. i have a co2 tank and a bubble ladder so all i need is the regulator

Back
Top Bottom