A little green water - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffNebraska

Aquarium Advice Regular
I posted this in the planted tanks forum, but thought I would bring it over here for some more input. Thanks!

:?:

A few months ago, I put in my first heavy-duty light. I think it is 94 watts for 30 gallons. I had just moved, so I was restarting my tank from scratch.

Anyway, my plants and fish (about 24) are thriving, but I can't get my water to be crystal clear. It's a bit hazy and definitely a bit green. Ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Nitrates are around 5, phosphates are .25, ph is 6.8. I don't test for anything else.

I have seen all the radical suggestions for solving the problem, but they seem to be for people with more severe issues than mine. I had my light up to 12 hours a day, but have since cut it back to 9 and am considering going lower.

Is less light my most likely solution? With the nitrates and phosphates relatively low, will daily water changes help? I have one Pl*co and three Ottos, but my understanding is that they can't eat floating algae.

Also, can someone fill me in on this polyester batting in the filter possibility? I know nothing about fabric and need a description of what I want to point some clerk in a store to the right thing.

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

With the nitrates and phosphates relatively low

.25 is pretty high for PO4, I'd say this is the culprit. Course I'm a SW guy. How many plants are in the tank? I'm surprised they are not out competeing for the nutrients. Might look into a water clarifier, although I'm not sure how they would effect the plants, it should bind the free floating algae so it can be removed by the filter.

Also, can someone fill me in on this polyester batting in the filter possibility? I know nothing about fabric and need a description of what I want to point some clerk in a store to the right thing.

Well, no offense JeffN, and I know you wanted more input, but as i mentioned in the plant forum, diatom filtration will clear it up in less than a day.

However, you want more options, that's cool. The polyester batting is sold in my local fabric place. just ask for "quilt batting" and they'll point you right to it. Big roll, like 3 bucks, lasts me a year! I use it in my eheim on a regular basis, but just as an addition to the bio media, for the purpose of filtering out the large particulates. How did you hear it would work for gw? Taking a guess, perhaps if you filled the entire cannister it would work, but just as one compartment, well I have it that way all the time, it can't strain out all the single cell algae, I assume they are just too small.

Here's another option, the first way I got rid of it. 5 solid days, the entire tank covered with a totally light proof material, I used a heavy blanket (but it was winter then). Your fish will live, your plants will live. No feeding, no lights, no peeking. This starves the algae out. I did it, it worked, but it was trouble and I hated it, especially the waiting, drove me nuts.

Seriously, I know a diatom filter is a large expense to purchase for a 1-2 day event, that may only appear once. Call the fish stores in your area, see if they rent diatom filters. I don't know what that would cost, but its worth a few phone calls. Diatom fitration will work, it is without a doubt the BEST solution to gw!

Whatever course you decide to take, I wish you the best of luck!

CC

CC,

Your advice was very persuasive. I just wanted to consider all the options.

I have a diatom filter on its way from PetSmart.com. Once I read a few outside sources on the marvels of water clarity these things will produce, I was sold.

I think the money means less to me than the hassle and worry associated with 5 sunless days in my tank, especially as I am having a party on Saturday and want my water to look its best. :lol:

Thanks to all for the help. I will report back after the Vortex has done its thing. I'm expecting great results!

We cool, I gave you everything I had! Always good to check out the options.

I'm glad you can afford a diatom filter, they are awesome.

Also, go to a swimming pool store, buy a bag of diatomaceous earth from them, exact same thing you'll get from aq supply places, except less than 10 bucks for a 10lb bag! Also, be very careful using the diatom powder, its really bad for your lungs.

There are very few things on this board that I'll guarantee will work, this is one of them.

Hey CC,

As I'm prepping for the maiden voyage of my diatom, tomorrow night, I realized I have on question about the initial "charging" of the filter with the powder. Do you place the powder in the pitcher (separated from tank) with the filter running only on a gravity syphon or with the filter turned on? I know you start the hoses filling with the filter on and upside down, then turn it off. But I'm not clear whether you turn it back on once the jar is full before you add the powder or whether it needs to be off while the powder does its coating thing.

I assume the way it works is that once the jar is full (from the syphon), you turn the filter on, then add the powder to the pitcher, then remove the pitcher and don't turn the motor off again till all your water is sparkling, right? :?

Attention all.

The diatom filter COMPLETELY solved my green water problem in about one hour. It was nothing short of spectacular. If any one wants to hear about my experience, I will be pleased to provide you with any additional details.

I love it when a plan comes together. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom