A little lost first planet tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmallFishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

This is my first time setting up a planted tank and I have a question or two. I have a 50 gal tank that I have put in about 13 plants in and going on my 3rd day of having them. I am noticing a tad bit of browning on them though and tad worried. I was reading about the lighting and the Light i have is the Marineland led single bright. I don't know if this is cause from not enough light and what I am reading I am getting different opinions. I would hate to kill the plants from not having enough light. The reason I bought the Marineland was I did not have a top to the tank and it fit. :) And also picked up some Aqueon Plant food liquid which I don't think is going to be any good.

Anyways I am looking for some constructive criticism on the lighting and what I am missing.

Thanks

A standard 50g is a pretty tall tank. The single bright is going to put you at a pretty low light. You don't say what plants you have but Anubias, Java & El Nino ferns are about all that will grow in that light and then very slowly. OS.

That is extremely low lighting and if the tank is newly set up most likely your seeing diatoms. Rub a leaf and if it rubs right off it's diatom's. Diatoms are self limiting and will go away on their own once all the excess silicates in the water are used up. Only run lighting 6 hours to keep growth down and getting some Nerite snails, which can reproduce in freshwater, will clean up any diatoms that do grow.

Back
Top Bottom