A (most likely dumb) plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The arguement of rhizome below or above substrate would be better settled if we knew what kind of substrate. If its tightly pack, almost sand type it will rot but loose large gravel type that has lots of circulation there is a good chance of no rotting.

Slagrunner said:
The arguement of rhizome below or above substrate would be better settled if we knew what kind of substrate. If its tightly pack, almost sand type it will rot but loose large gravel type that has lots of circulation there is a good chance of no rotting.

Good point i agree with that

Mine is completely buried in fluvals stratum(I think that's right, definitely fluval though) and is capped with a light layer of sand to keep the little dirt balls from going with the currents. I know the fluval stuff is very light and has a lot of nutrients so maybe that's why mine works, don't know, don't care cause my plants live and look great haha

Its gravel substrate. Forgive my ignorance I'm at work right now and can't recall the name of the stuff or look at it but it has the brown plant food pellet stuff under the gravel near where I originally planted them. The plants I selected (two anubis, 4 crypts, lots of java fern, and 1 "moss ball" cuz it looked really cool) were because after extensive googling they appeared to be the most suited for a plant newbie and according to what I saw didn't require a lot of fuss or special lights. I also got some of the liquid plant food I was planning on doing small doses when I PWC. I went planted after reading about silent cycling. The plants were still looking healthy after several days, so I got my first fish and seeded the tank just to be safe in case the silent cycle method didn't work. The fish (7 rasboras) have been in since Wednesday and no traces of amonia or nitrite. The plants are still looking good to me, the largest of the java fern looks like its even growing already. Once the mopani is in place I will most definitly post pictures. Thanks again for all the experiences and opinion.

One last question. I'll be ready to attach the anubis and some of the javas to the mopani tonight. After googling it seems there is many different recommended ways to do it. Each site I looked at suggested different types of material to tie them down everything from fishingline, to plastic twist ties, to cotton yarn, etc. Will regular thin black thread from a sewing kit work? Or should I go out and buy something special? Keeping in mind there are rasboras in the tank I don't want to use the sewing thread if it could potentially cause harm to them. Thanks again.

Kellie said:
One last question. I'll be ready to attach the anubis and some of the javas to the mopani tonight. After googling it seems there is many different recommended ways to do it. Each site I looked at suggested different types of material to tie them down everything from fishingline, to plastic twist ties, to cotton yarn, etc. Will regular thin black thread from a sewing kit work? Or should I go out and buy something special? Keeping in mind there are rasboras in the tank I don't want to use the sewing thread if it could potentially cause harm to them. Thanks again.

Fishing line would work sewing line should be ok i would think

Use black "cotton" thread, you won't hardly see it and with time it will just dissolve. I use it all the time and have never had any accidents. I do cut the excess string off right above the knot.

Back
Top Bottom