A rare goldfish tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm beginning to think goldfish are really under appreciated!
I decided to make my latest tank goldfish, and before you all say it - they've got an upgraded 55g ready for them shortly.

556987_10151144790101349_411374962_n.jpg

I like goldfish. I wish I had the room for big tanks in which to keep them. Do you heat thier tank? And if not do you find it hard to maintain certain plants without heating it? I know my house is always cold so when I was young and had a goldfish I never used a heater.

Thats great!!! I have to agree, fancies are VERY under appreciated! My fancy tanks are well planted without an issue. Look forward to seeing pics of their new 55g home (do not be tempted to add more fancies to it)!!!! :)

brennae said:
I like goldfish. I wish I had the room for big tanks in which to keep them. Do you heat thier tank? And if not do you find it hard to maintain certain plants without heating it? I know my house is always cold so when I was young and had a goldfish I never used a heater.

Goldfish tanks are supposed to be cold and without a heater. Kind of like pond water and conditions.

^not necessarily. Goldfish tolerate colder temperatures, but having them at a warmer temperature is okay. They become more active and hungrier.

@cheecky monkey, I really like your tank setup. What plants do you have in that non-driftwood side? Man, the things I could do with that driftwood. :)

Atxpunx said:
^not necessarily. Goldfish tolerate colder temperatures, but having them at a warmer temperature is okay. They become more active and hungrier.

Oh. I didn't know that. But is it recommended to leave them on cold or warm water?

Well the way I understand it, at a higher temp. there is less presence of bacterial infection due to water condition and the fishes metabolism is faster allowing them to fight off some infections. Don't wanna hijack the thread, still like your tank op!

Well the way I understand it, at a higher temp. there is less presence of bacterial infection due to water condition and the fishes metabolism is faster allowing them to fight off some infections. Don't wanna hijack the thread, still like your tank op!

Actually, bacteria multiply faster at higher temps thus exist in much higher numbers. This is why its so important to lower the temp with a columnaris infection to limit bacterial growth or bump up the temp in a fishless cycling tank. Increasing a coldwater fish's metabolism is considered thermal stress- stress is not healthy for fish and will eventually lead to a shortened lifespan. Goldfish are quite adaptable but fancies tend to be a bit less tolerant of temp swings/extremes. I would only suggest using a heater if the temp in the tank swings drastically from day to night or is unusually cold- ideal temp ranges are 68-75f with 72-74 being more ideal. :)

cheeky_monkey said:
I'm beginning to think goldfish are really under appreciated!
I decided to make my latest tank goldfish, and before you all say it - they've got an upgraded 55g ready for them shortly.

Looks great! I have to agree, they are really under appreciated. I love my Goldies. They have so much personality. :D
I see you have a moor. What are the others? Fantails?

Thanks everyone, I'm in love with my new tank.

There are two fancies (silver and a pale yellow/cream), a moor and an orange oranda. I must admit the oranda is my favourite but they all have funny little personalities.

I've only had them for 2 weeks and only planted out the tank about a week ago now. Just added the driftwood yesterday and split and attached my anubias.

The plants in the tank include 2 swords, a crypt, a water lettuce, 2 banana lillies and the anubias to the left split in 2. Oh and there's a moss covered shell to the bottom right.

Unfortunately one of the braces on the 55 broke during our recent move but once that's fixed I will transfer them over. They've already grown in the time I've had them so I can't wait to see them bigger.

jlk and Elise perhaps you ladies can help me. I'm unable to find sinking goldfish pellets anywhere! I've seen recommendations on here by jlk I believe for the hikari brand and also the hikari lionhead pellets but can only find floating. I've tried soaking the floating pellets first however they swell but won't sink, is that ok or should I keep looking?

I've been giving them a broccoli stalk every second day but I'd love to know some other vegies they enjoy. At the moment they absolutely clean off all green from the broccoli and leave just the stalk. I'm hoping if I keep feeding them good vege they will leave the plants alone, yes?

image-379100801.jpg

I got these from petbarn (maybe pets galore.... can't remember exactly) in Toowoomba. Only place I could find them locally. Surely there would be a petbarn in Brissy somewhere.

Have you checked eBay & amazon? Hikari makes the lionhead formula (sinking) and saki fancy formula (sinking but 2-3x as expensive). NLS (new life spectrum) also makes sinking goldfish pellet. I buy all my commercial fish food off of these sites. Another idea is to make your own gel food for them (healthiest & best) if you have no luck finding decent food. :)

Thanks Elise that's the one I've been searching for after seeing it recommended on here. I have tried 3 petbarns but I've never heard of pets galore so I will look them up.

I never thought of ebay and amazon. I'm sure amazon would would out quite expensive with shipping to Australia but I will try them. I have NLS for my tropicals I didn't realise they did a goldfish formula as well so I will look for that from my regular online store.

Can you give me instructions on making the gel food please? I don't mind doing that for them.

gel food for goldies

you could find the rapashy gel food for goldies and i have heard a suggestion of feeding in a petri dish so the food dosent disolve in the substrate

Check out The GAB (the goldfish and aquarium board) for easy recipes. Utube also has instructional videos. Basically, it's protien(s) veggies & some vitamins/extras, add gelatin then blend mix in blender/food processor and pour into tray or containers to set in fridge. You then can cube it & put baggies & freeze it. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Mumma.of.two said:
I got these from petbarn (maybe pets galore.... can't remember exactly) in Toowoomba. Only place I could find them locally. Surely there would be a petbarn in Brissy somewhere.

My gold babies get the same food, also from pet barn.

Yeah I love goldfish I used to have two fancy goldfish and 5 white cloud minnows before I went tropical. I loved them but I couldnt turn down a big tank. My mum has fancies now and they look great.

I love my goldfish as well. I branched out into tropicals here recently with an extra tank I had. Long story short I still favor my Goldfish. Much easier to bond with them in my opinion. I highly recommend you try making your own gel food. It is super easy and much healthier for them.

Back
Top Bottom