A White Spotted Plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, since you guys know everything, I have a plant question.
I went to my lfs and seen this nice looking plant. No one in the store knew what it was, they had just got it in. It had a broad green leaf with about 6 big white spots on each leaf, and the stems looked layered as it went up. It was fully underwater and was about a little under a foot high.
I know I should haved took a picture, but at the moment I wasn't thinking about it. :/
Would this plant be aquarium safe? And not one of those "oh its a fully aquatic plant" and find out that its not, and dies a while later.
Thanks much!

I might stop by tomorrow and see if they still have them and take a pic!

Sounds to me like it is not aquatic given the variegation you described, as well as the layered stem.

fort384 said:
Sounds to me like it is not aquatic given the variegation you described, as well as the layered stem.

+1 I don't think it's a fully aquatic plant. IME, I've found that some plants with broad green leaves with White, yellow or pink spots are usually not fully aquatic. Again, it's just my experience:)

Ok, went to another pet store and found one just like it! Still has no name but its in the loose plant section. I think its beautiful, but is it a real aquatic plant? I was only able to get top pictures no sides. Any ideas as to what it is?
Thanks again!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120221_132115.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120221_132115.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20120221_132540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120221_132540.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 64
herp_mommy said:
Looks like some sort of Aluminum plant, which is not fully aquatic.

Darn, its so pretty to. Do you think you could put it in a pond setting?

Definitely not aquatic. It Is a bog plant and can be grown emersed or terrestrially.

I believe they are more like bog/terrarium/marsh type plants. You might be able to do it on a low shelf in a pond as long as the leaves stay out of the water.

That's the problem with most of these plants sold as "aquatic". Keep them underwater completely, they rot and foul your tank. Keep the leaves above the waterline, they usually do fine.

DragonFish71 said:
I believe they are more like bog/terrarium/marsh type plants. You might be able to do it on a low shelf in a pond as long as the leaves stay out of the water.

That's the problem with most of these plants sold as "aquatic". Keep them underwater completely, they rot and foul your tank. Keep the leaves above the waterline, they usually do fine.

That's why I ask if I don't know the name. Cause I know you guys are plant smart. ;)
Thanks everyone!
I guess I'll stick with my swords, fern, and moss this time around. :)

Back
Top Bottom