Abby's First AquaScape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,
This will be my first attempt at a moderately to heavily planted tank.
I will be using my 45 Gal Corner tank. 25 IN Deep
This is the stock that is Currently in the tank.
* 2 male guppies ( 1 Juvi) AKA Leonard, Cactus
* 1 female guppy (had about 60 in various tanks, but traded to a friend because they are always preggo)
*4 fry (ReHome)
*3 female Swordtails
* Common pleco ( i believe) :( was given to me before I knew it's requirements (ReHome)
-----------
I know that i want a school of neon tetras ( i've never had schooling fish before )
* Also would really like some shrimp :)
Looking to achieve a peaceful community Feel
Suggestions Welcome for stock list
----------------------------------
IN QT given to me by a friend are
* 1 male Swordtail
* 2 mickey mouse Mollies sex unknown (rehome, not my kind of fish , never really wanted them )
* 1 baby albino ancistrus AKA Oscar <3
* 2 siamese algae eaters
----------------------------------------
Substrate: Flourite Black ( had it in the tank about a month and a half. Thought i'd love black substrate until I found out how much it actually shows the waste. GAH!
So I will be capping it with Pool Filter Sand OR Play Sand, which i've read is good.
Ordered my DriftWood today from : Malaysian Driftwood 8 Piece Mixed Box
so that I can start boiling/ soaking it to get most of the tannins out before placing it in the tank.
Has any anyone tried a salt soak for this? i've read it works and it even preferred by some

*Lighting: Currently I have a stock light and a Coralife T5H0 10,000K which doesn't even seem to be enough to grown my 1 poor little plant i have (Java Fern) It's all browning :(I'm trying to decide between Current USA 24" Nova Extreme T5 HO Aquarium Strip Light 2x24 - 2 Configurations probably 2 of them
AND www.LEDwholesalers.com - WHITE + BLUE LED Aquarium Reef corals grow light Panel would 1 be enough?
I'm leaning towards the LEDs now , because of the efficiency. I am looking for something that will grow lush, green plants from low- high light . I don't want any restrictions as to what I can grow and be forced to upgrade later on.
What does everyone recommend?
I've been researching and reading about PAR, Lumens, Kelvin Ratings, WPG and my brain is so full of info and yet i still feel like i know nothing LOL:facepalm:

* I will be doing Excel and Flourish as per instructions. Also will be using Root Tabs

*Any Suggestions as far as Co2 are welcome. I was thinking about possibly doing a DIY Co2 ( with pop bottles) and ordering a diffuser online such as : Aqua Medic Reactor 500 CO2 Diffuser | Aquarium Supplies husband is dying for something DIY LOL

I will need Co2 eventually anyway with high light.

* As far as the actual aqua scaping goes i only have a few ideas.
I really love the "carpeted look" so i'd like to make a moss carpet such as http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=moss+...=1t:429,r:7,s:41&tx=74&ty=89&biw=1360&bih=556: especially since shrimp seem to like it also. http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=moss+...=1t:429,r:7,s:41&tx=74&ty=89&biw=1360&bih=556
I'd also like to do Christmas Moss Wall of sorts like this :

Redirect Notice
as a backdrop.
I would like some taller plants swords, crypts ect in the back going shorter coming to the foreground .Some Anubias, Blyxa japonica . I wont go too much. trying to take things one at a time. Again any recommendations are welcome.
Current pic of the tank :
Can't wait to get rid of the Fake plants ECT...:):)
(ill upload using app because it's easier)
Think I've Covered Everything.
http://store.seacorals.net/femadr8pimib.html

Sand: I have used both play sand & pool filter sand. The play sand is very light, so it floats and clouds up a tank pretty easily. Also, it can get to your impellers and ruin them when it floats. I definitely recommend turning off your filter if you redecorate on play sand!
The pool filter sand is heavier, and for me, that makes it much easier to work with. It has a slightly darker color too, with several shades mixed throughout it.

CoryFan said:
Sand: I have used both play sand & pool filter sand. The play sand is very light, so it floats and clouds up a tank pretty easily. Also, it can get to your impellers and ruin them when it floats. I definitely recommend turning off your filter if you redecorate on play sand!
The pool filter sand is heavier, and for me, that makes it much easier to work with. It has a slightly darker color too, with several shades mixed throughout it.

Thanks that helps pool filter sand it is ... I'm hoping it will look alright ...with the dark flourite substrate (because I'm sure it will mix eventually )
Just waiting on my orders (driftwood, root tabs , plant weights , 50 foot water changer ) :)

Yay! I got my DW , API freshwater test kit, root tabs and plant sinkers today. Time to start boiling my DW :)

image-2292933505.jpg

Scouser said:
Like a second Christmas for you today eh? Lol!

Those pieces of DW look awesome :)

Yeah who knew I'd be so excited to get wood in the mail haha . Boiling away now . I'm very happy with the selection of DW they gave me :D

Ok so... The rodi is up and running , however I was very misinformed as far as how they actually work . Ie: dripping water slowly and you having to figure out something for water storage ... Right now just use a 5 gal jug and a big Rubbermaid container . Took 3-4 days to change the water on 4 tanks :( how does everyone who has an RODI do it ?
Lighting I have done a ton of research and will most likely be going with this within a pay or two ...
http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4x24W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Digi-Timer-Fixture-p/52323.htm

Has anyone has experience with this fixture ?
For the price /reviews/features I figure it's a good deal . I will probably be switching out some of the actinic bulbs and use them for my FOWLR tank . 4 bulbs will put me into high light from what I've researched , even with the tank being 25" deep.

This is my inspiration for my scale shape / design after many many many hours of looking at scapes :) I know it's a long shot that it will look as beautiful, but I'm willing to try . I'm going to have to wait until spring time to get my hands of a lot of sand from my parents gravel pit as well as rocks :) and seeing as how I'm in Canada shipping plants during winter is hard to find so it's best to wait until spring anyway :(

image-408534264.jpg

I'm a little confused, since this is a freshwater tank. Are all your tanks freshwater? If so, you shouldn't be using RO/DI water. RO/DI is used in saltwater tanks, primarily because once you add the salt mix, you've readded all the necessary minerals/elements. However in freshwater, RO/DI would strip out all the substances that your fish actually need in order to be healthy and grow.

Wy Renegade said:
I'm a little confused, since this is a freshwater tank. Are all your tanks freshwater? If so, you shouldn't be using RO/DI water. RO/DI is used in saltwater tanks, primarily because once you add the salt mix, you've readded all the necessary minerals/elements. However in freshwater, RO/DI would strip out all the substances that your fish actually need in order to be healthy and grow.

Actually people use a mixture of RO/DI water with their water supply to soften water.

There are quite a few reasons to use it in FW.

Wy Renegade said:

I do have 1 FOWLR SW tank which is the primary reason I bought my RODI . I also have currently 4 FW tanks ... I just finished doing PWCS on all of y tanks both SW and FW . I assumed that RODI water would e the best choice vs municipal tap water and declorinator . I never even considered that it might remove "too much" of the stuff in my tap water .

I do have 1 FOWLR SW tank which is the primary reason I bought my RODI . I also have currently 4 FW tanks ... I just finished doing PWCS on all of y tanks both SW and FW . I assumed that RODI water would e the best choice vs municipal tap water and declorinator . I never even considered that it might remove "too much" of the stuff in my tap water .

Gotcha (y). Yes, you want to be using the RO/DI water in the saltwater tanks, but for the freshwater you want to use just dechlorinated tap water, unless you have some specific reason for using a mixture as mentioned above. Fish absorb many of the minerals and elements they need directly from the water column. If you're keeping them in pure RO/DI water those things will not be available for them. Certainly one PWC isn't going to hurt anything, but not something you want to do on a regular basis.

Wy Renegade said:
Gotcha (y). Yes, you want to be using the RO/DI water in the saltwater tanks, but for the freshwater you want to use just dechlorinated tap water, unless you have some specific reason for using a mixture as mentioned above. Fish absorb many of the minerals and elements they need directly from the water column. If you're keeping them in pure RO/DI water those things will not be available for them. Certainly one PWC isn't going to hurt anything, but not something you want to do on a regular basis.

I could either do a mixture I suppose or do something like this : http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4828

I just think that RODI is much better than my tap water . The fish just seem happier too lol

You might check with them on how well that works for fish vs. plants which is what it promoting.

Wy Renegade said:
You might check with them on how well that works for fish vs. plants which is what it promoting.

Yes looks like I have more research to do LOL always learning a lot . Just tested the PH on all of my FW tanks and they are all 6.4 .... Which is exactly what the RODI water is (big shock)
I might end up only using the RODI for top offs and not water changes or just mix in a small amount . I know that adding crushed coral to the filter will raise and maintain a buffer for the PH . I just want the simplest , easier method and what's best for the fish. I thought RODI would be better , but its either buy supplements to re add the nutrients to the water OR buy prime lol so either way I'm spending that extra money on something . If I just use tap water/ declorinator I can also use my new water changer to fill my tank vs lugging 5 gallon buckets up stairs :(
Thanks for the advice

Got my quad Odessa t5 fixture today :)
Also got 2 baby RCS and a clear + 2 assassin snails - acclimating then now
And some java moss and Riccia

image-3637631577.jpg

image-2268994794.jpg

image-3791369853.jpg

We will be hanging the lights soon and working on starting a moss wall .

Back
Top Bottom