ac20's are loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartoecus

Aquarium Advice Regular
i returned my first one thinking there was something wrong with it and the new one arrived in the mail today with the same results. The impeller fan is loud as ****. Even with the top off, and some water conditioner to lube it up it's still about as loud as my old aerator pump. Any suggestion, or comments or am i just an idiot with sensitive ears?

I just set up my first one about half an hour ago. I can't even hear it. The **** "Whisper" filter I have on my other tank is loud as **** though.

what did you do? i made sure i didn't turn it on before there was water in, washed off the bio filter, lubed up the impeller and it's still really really loud. I can hear it coming from right where the impeller is. it's not vibrating on anything.

SO FRUSTRATING.

what did you do? i made sure i didn't turn it on before there was water in, washed off the bio filter, lubed up the impeller and it's still really really loud. I can hear it coming from right where the impeller is. it's not vibrating on anything.

SO FRUSTRATING.

I did pretty much the same as you did. It made a little noise until the air bubble in the tube went away but after that I haven't heard a sound. I had to stop and check because I thought it wasn't on for a minute.

yeah. it takes a minute for the bubble to chug it's way through the intake tube. that isn't the sound though. the sounds sounds like the impeller fan is going to explode.

AC's are the quietest HOB filter there is.
You must be doing something wrong.
The only filter that i have that is quieter is and XP2.
Charles

well what else should i do?

i took it out, made sure all dust and crap was out of the tank. Then i rinsed off the bio filter, lubed up the impeller, filled it up with water, leveled it out on the aquarium..... am i missing something?

oh the top is also off. with the top on it's sounds like a steampunk dildo.

it stopped making sounds

Last edited:
AC's are the quietest HOB filter there is.

indeed. the only time you should hear it is if the water in your tank evaporated or you didnt fill it enough. but even then its just the "waterfall" you should be hearing.

well what else should i do?

i took it out, made sure all dust and crap was out of the tank. Then i rinsed off the bio filter, lubed up the impeller, filled it up with water, leveled it out on the aquarium..... am i missing something?

oh the top is also off. with the top on it's sounds like a steampunk dildo.

it stopped making sounds

Lubed up the impellor???
That may be what's wrong.
What did you use?
I've never lubed an impellor.
Charles

yes. i took the impeller out of the filter and dabbed a little but of Prime onto it since i heard that sometimes it takes a few days for them to quite down. Also, it was loud before i used Prime.

It's getting louder, and i'm getting more frustrated. Almost everyone i've talked to who uses AC's say they are silent right out of the box. This is the second one i've purchased in a row(first one was even louder) and it's still really loud.

I also think i'm screwed since i bought it new on ebay.

Take it apart. Rinse the impeller, and the impeller housing. (inside the power portion of the impeller motor. Where the impeller slides in. )
Then reassemble. (without the media basket) fill the back container with just enough water to cover the top of the impeller area (about half of the filter)
Make sure your tank is filled up all the way
Then plug it in.

See if you notice anything. Rattling, bubbles, or hopefully nothing.

hmm.

the rattling is still there the same as it was before, but now it sounds as if a bubble track is being mixed in with it.

Visit www.hagen.com and send them an email.
Most companies will help you with a warranty issue regardless of where you bought it.
I had a Rena smart filter that started making a lot of noise.
I contacted the co. and they asked me to send it back with $27 for shipping the repaired unit back to me.
Then they lost it. Emailed me asking how to resolve the problem, and being a smartass, I told them to send me a new XP2 canister instead. AND THEY DID.
On smaller tanks, I currently have 2 AC20 and one that’s bigger (AC50???), they are all very quiet.
I do take the covers off to prevent a vibration noise.
I prefer a good canister over a HOB.

Good luck,

Charles

That's true for most HOB filters, but the AquaClear system is basically a canister without a spraybar. Same media capacity as comparable canisters (if not more). And the operation is the same in that, it also forces the water through the media (like a canister). Not to mention the AC HOB filters tend to have a higher flow rate than comparable canisters. And for cheaper ;)
The only real difference is that the entire unit hangs on the tank, rather than just the intake and return plumbing (and the lack of a spray bar of course. Lol)
And actually, some canisters do hang on the tank (T.O.M, for example)

Just sent them an email. Thought it was weird i couldn't find a phone number anywhere.

Earlier this year I bought a 501 turtle canister filter because I wanted a small canister for a 10g planted tank with one male betta. That thing had almost NO flow out of the spraybar. I sold that thing and glad I did.
From now on, I am going with AC’s or a name brand canister filter. I’d much rather over filter than not have enuff flow.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom